The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon to go FX mirrorless….

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have been guessing launch date in 2015 or early 2016. I'm quite certain that the "1" Series is mostly a test bed for mirrorless technologies. Imagine a larger V3, modular with alternative viewfinders and grips like the F4 had. It will obviously have full functionality with AF-S lenses plus a new range of dedicated glass. Two versions probably, one with high frame rates and 16-20 MP sensor and one with moderate frame rates and 36-50MP sensor. At least one of them, most likely the low MP one, will feature 4K and some high-end video codec.

All of it guesswork from my side, but I would be surprised if this isn't rather close to what we're going to get. This is also one of the reasons why I left m4/3.

Paul2660

More like Photokina 2016. But by then everyone will be using iPhones 😄

I would rather they get a refresh to their PC-E lenses done. Long overdue.

Paul

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think that they ned to come finally with their FF mirror less system. It most probably will allow to attach today's F mount glass (all) via adapter plus of course allow to attach the new glass specially designed for that new system.

Also the range of sensors will have a lower end around 24MP resolution and a high resolution version with whatever they come up anyway - most likely 48MP.

Design wise I have high hopes for this from the beginning, as Nikon builds cameras for real photographers and not like Sony with several pretty obscure iterations before they get there.

That will then be my step back into FF again. Earlier is waste of time and money at least for me!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
F-mount will most probably be with an adapter, like for the "1" system. Allowing for F-mount lenses without adapter would make the camera unnecessary large because of the long distance from the lens flange to the sensor. Pentax tried that with K-01. Not a big success, I think.

V

Vivek

Whatever mount, they are going to be very pricey if the V1's price is an indicator.
(I think the F mount will go to make it totally fly by wire)

Steve P.

F-mount will most probably be with an adapter, like for the "1" system. Allowing for F-mount lenses without adapter would make the camera unnecessary large because of the long distance from the lens flange to the sensor. Pentax tried that with K-01. Not a big success, I think.
In my view, with the K-01, Pentax snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by saddling a great concept with a flawed design. I don't believe the camera was too large necessarily but it ended up being an unwieldy f-ugly toytown brick!
I would rather see a nicely sized F-mount mirrorless Nikon than the kind of downsized body that will not balance well with many full frame lenses; even less so if you're forced to stick an adapter in the way. Done right, I think something the size of a Pentax K-01 might suit very nicely.
I'm with John Brew on this one.:)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
That's why I believe in a modular camera, like the F4 and the V3. That way, it can be small or large, depending on the need.

Edit: If they go with the F-mount, they lose the option of going small for amateur versions, which would mean two different mounts that wouldn't be compatible. It's also a question if the F-mount satisfies the need of an advanced mirrorless camera.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

(...) F-mount will most probably be with an adapter, like for the "1" system. Allowing for F-mount lenses without adapter would make the camera unnecessary large because of the long distance from the lens flange to the sensor. (...)

Sure, but personally I have no problems with the standard DSLR size, it fits my hands well.

Camera handling is far more important to me than camera size.

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Besides I have seen, and especially read, so many times that a short flange-to-sensor distance introduces all kinds of problems with steep ray angles, smeared corners and color shading issues.
And when you try to solve those issues with offset microlenses on the sensor, then the sensor no longer works quite as well with classic lenses made for a camera with a longer flange-to-sensor distance.
So I for one do not hope for such an adapter mess caused by a new mount with shorter flange-to-sensor distance.
We'll see.
Just my personal 0.02 of course.

V

Vivek

Besides I have seen, and especially read, so many times that a short flange-to-sensor distance introduces all kinds of problems with steep ray angles, smeared corners and color shading issues.
And when you try to solve those issues with offset microlenses on the sensor, then the sensor no longer works quite as well with classic lenses made for a camera with a longer flange-to-sensor distance.
So I for one do not hope for such an adapter mess caused by a new mount with shorter flange-to-sensor distance.
We'll see.
Steen,

What happens with the Nikon V1 and its very short registry? You can still mount your Nikon F lenses and get decent pictures can't you?

And those "system" lenses (whatever they are called) are pretty small. Granted it is a tiny sensor but there are no offset microlenses in Sony cams or Samsung cams or EOS M.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Steen,
What happens with the Nikon V1 and its very short registry? You can still mount your Nikon F lenses and get decent pictures can't you?
(...)

Yes, but the V1 1" sensor area is only 14 pct. of the FF 24x36mm sensor area.
I have actually never tried to put an FF F-mount lens on the V1 despite - as you know - my wife owns and uses a V1 ;) - and thank you for your great help with a good deal on the V1 :thumbup:
But I assume this outmost central centre of the image circle from a FF lens ought to be rendered ok by a V1 1" sensor.

I'm less confident about what happens if I am to use such an ultra-short register with an FF sensor, I have a feeling it might not be all that healthy.
But admittedly I'm not an optical engineer or anything like that, so I could easily be wrong about all this.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

(...)
And those "system" lenses (whatever they are called) are pretty small. Granted it is a tiny sensor but there are no offset microlenses in Sony cams or Samsung cams or EOS M.

Oh, I thought that e.g. the Sony A7R used offset microlenses ?
Sorry if I'm completely wrong about this.

Well here it is, the link where I once saw some Sony folks presenting the A7R (and A7) and talking about the need of offset microlenses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VfSrsqn3ESc
Go to about 17-18 minutes into this presentation video clip where they talk about it.
I dunno, I've never owned or even tried an A7R yet, will do as soon as I can get hold on one.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

We'll see.
I agree, and the perfect solution to this would be telecentric lenses, which was one of the reasons the lenses for the 4/3 DSLRs were so good and so evenly sharp from corner to corner. But telecentric lenses for FX would be huge, so it's not an alternative that a sane camera manufacturer would go for.

I suspect that Nikon won't care much for classic lenses other than their own, which would then open the door for any other SLR lens with adapters, but not necessarily rangefinder lenses. Maybe a compromise is the ideal; somewhere between the flange distance of F-mount and E-mount.

Just guessing here :)

V

Vivek

Steen, I have two of Nikon's finest lenses from a short lived and abandoned F3AF, namely, the 80/3.5 and the 200/3.5 lenses (for those who do not know, see: F3AF with AF 80mm f/2.8 & AF 200mm f/3.5 ED-IF). They can not be mounted on a modern Nikon F (is it "FX"?) body but work just fine on an A7r with an adapter as manual focus lenses. I am sure they will do fine on the D800 series as well when the chip contacts are blocked. The 800 series use the same sensors from Sony. What sort of problems do they pose?

Nikon experimented with keeping the F mount for digital before the D1 came out. Those were not all that great (price wise and also for real use).

Unlike Nikon's celebrated chip based metering of their own lenses on their own bodies, the Sony (and most systems out there) can meter, in any metering mode, with every Nikon lens. Many will not forget Nikon's sneaky business strategy of making their own old lenses (though they may fit a body via the magical F mount) obsolete.

Last edited: