The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D810 Multi Selector Problem?

NotXorc

After getting it today, I have run my D810 through the paces and noticed some unusual behavior with the multi selector (d-pad, directional pad, etc.). When reviewing zoomed-in images to check focus I have no problems scrolling quickly up, down, right or left, but diagonal scrolling is very hit or miss -- mostly the latter. Sometimes the multi selector will respond to a quick jab and track diagonally across the whole image with no problem; many times this does not do the trick. Full-force pressing almost never elicits a response from the camera when pushing diagonally. The most effective workaround (if you can call it this) is just to stab diagonally two or three times until the camera finally responds to the input. This is less than ideal and would certainly result in a sore thumb at the end of a shooting day!

Has anyone else had this issue, if even only intermittently?

NotXorc

After following up in the Nikon manual, it certainly seems that P. 248 of the user manual indicates adjustment in 8 directions, and confirmed by Thom Hogan's guide to the D810 predecessor. I have yet to hear from Nikon USA (not unusual on a weekend, of course). :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Good that you found out about this. Getting to know a camera properly takes a long time, and the more advanced the cameras get, like current cameras tend to be, the longer it takes. That doesn't rhyme well with the rapid release rates of new cameras, does it?

I intend to keep my D810 for a looooong time :)

NotXorc

Yes, I talked with a NYC sales pro today who told me that he had been working with Nikon for 40 years, and was only aware of 4-direction movement when reviewing images. :facesmack: He wasn't exactly patronizing, but as close as you can get while still maintaining some professionalism.

I intend to keep the D810 for a very long time too, once I am assured that it works as it should. :)

Jorgen, I'm excited for the new work I see you putting out with the new camera. Keep up the great work!

NotXorc

Follow up: Nikon USA responded, indicated that my camera wasn't right, and offered to help with sending it to a service center. Should be end of story --- knock on wood.