The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Nikon Df

rayyan

To keep the Df thread alive...

They said this setup had a history. This used to be a dance floor. For the gov's parties.
The walls are lined with photographs from the bygone era.

They turned on the HMV. It was a waltz.

I only know the foxtrot. So I sat this one out.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
One of my favourite cameras with one of my favourite lenses taking a photo of one of my favourite cars. Must qualify for a triple like :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Is the Rolleiflex Hy6 based on the Citroen HY, I wonder :confused:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I do wonder about the AIS lenses and the Df. As mentioned a few times before it seems to be a goldilocks kind of set up. First time out with the 20mm actually since it's CLA.

I picked up the 20/2.8 a while ago and had it serviced and calibrated as it was pretty old, dry and loose. (By contrast an old 35/1.4 I got was stiff). I don't expect perfection but all of my lenses now have the same smooth balanced focus and my local repair shop did a great job and the optics look like new.

I shot this handheld and as you can probably imagine I was pretty much shooting with my face into the Lupines to get this perspective. Maybe the 20/2.8 is optimized for close up as that's where I focused and sacrificed the balsamroot field sharpness.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it's possible to tweak a sensor for vintage glass... BUT, the pixel-pitch may be larger enough, it doesn't show the older lens' warts so clearly -- and thus they are very complimentary ;). Remember, the later AIS lenses were very well built and stunningly good on film!

Swissblad

Thanks for the input, gents.

I tried the 20mm f2.8 Ais on myD700 a couple of times…….

…. and was never quite happy with edge sharpness….

…maybe I should try a similar close-up perspective?

Anyhow, good reason to take it out for a spin again.

V

Vivek

Yes, not just the perspective but also magnification. Most old lenses do better in the closer regions.

jonoslack

I don't think it's possible to tweak a sensor for vintage glass... BUT, the pixel-pitch may be larger enough, it doesn't show the older lens' warts so clearly -- and thus they are very complimentary ;). Remember, the later AIS lenses were very well built and stunningly good on film!
Hi there Jack - what certailnly is the case is that a sensor with thicker cover glass will not play so well with lenses which have a wider angle of incidence (and modern lenses tend to be more telecentric, perhaps for that reason). So the combination of the the larger photosites and a thinner cover glass might help . . . whether on purpose or fortuitiously.

All the best