The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The pocket sized 300mm

Godfrey

Nice lens.

$2000 nice though. Unless I really really need a 300mm lens, I'm unlikely to spend that kind of money "for the off chance I need it"... I'll get far more use out of a $2000 35mm lens. :)

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This is one of the rare lenses which maybe could convince me to step back into FF Nikon - I have long waited for such a lens ....

But as I am now more than happy with my m43 2.8/40-150 it is not very likely it will happen soon ;)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Strange coincidence for me this. My 300mm lives on borrowed time (the plastic gears in the AF mechanism won't last forever), but I have been reluctant to buy the AF-S version due to weight and price. It isn't really usable for travel. This is of course, but the price is even higher :(

I'd better start saving, and maybe later this year :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
:)
Strange coincidence for me this. My 300mm lives on borrowed time (the plastic gears in the AF mechanism won't last forever), but I have been reluctant to buy the AF-S version due to weight and price. It isn't really usable for travel. This is of course, but the price is even higher :(

I'd better start saving, and maybe later this year :)
Jorgen,

I think you cannot go wrong with this new 4/300 - this seems to be a wonderful and very practical lens!

Having said that I would also consider the new 80-400 VRII which is much more versatile, has very similar speed and is optically just exceptional! Plus almost the same price range ....

For me it would be very hard to decide, but given my background as wildlife shooter I think I would (need to) prefer the zoom! Although I also would lust for this new 4/300 :)

Best

Peter

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Just when I was thinking that I would concentrate on wide angle lenses and a "normal" prime or two for a while, they announce this:

The new Nikon 300mm f/4E PF ED VR lens vs. the old Nikkor 300mm f/4D IF-ED version | Nikon Rumors

Ok, it isn't exactly pocket sized, but sevenhundredandsomething grams? If the image quality is good, this must be the best travel telephoto lens ever. I think I went back to Nikon at the right moment :D

PF = Phase Fresnel

Interesting technology. :thumbs:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
:)

Jorgen,

I think you cannot go wrong with this new 4/300 - this seems to be a wonderful and very practical lens!

Having said that I would also consider the new 80-400 VRII which is much more versatile, has very similar speed and is optically just exceptional! Plus almost the same price range ....

For me it would be very hard to decide, but given my background as wildlife shooter I think I would (need to) prefer the zoom! Although I also would lust for this new 4/300 :)

Best

Peter
The 80-400 is nice, Peter, but it's bigger, more than twice as heavy, 30-40% more expensive and I do really prefer primes :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
For me, I see a new category of travel photography coming up here. What has been available so far with long reach for travel, mostly the 70-300mm lenses, have been limited by relatively small apertures, mostly f/5.6 from around 150mm and up, and lack of critical sharpness at the long end as well.

This lens will fit comfortably in my compact Lowepro Inverse 200 AW with the D810 body and 3-4 other lenses (20/28/50/105). Total weight won't be bad either, at around 3 kilograms. The only piece lacking now is $2,000 :ROTFL:

Last edited:

JCT

Really something else what Nikon is doing with these f/4 lenses of late.

I've lugged my 70-200 VRI F/2.8 and 300 F/4 on many a trip - the newer f/4 versions are darn tempting....

D

Deleted member 7792

I WANT ONE.
Me too!!!!! I find that when I use the 70-200mm zoom, I'm always shooting at 200mm and wanting more reach. This lens is ideal to add to a 20mm, 35mm, 50mm, 100mm (or 135mm) kit. Zooms begone!!!! :thumbs: Looks like I'll be selling some stuff soon. Buy a toy, sell a toy.

The sample images look promising.

Joe

D

Deleted member 7792

Me too…. now should I pre-order or wait…..;)
I'd suggest waiting until the actual user reports and reviews are published in February. That's my plan. I don't have much that I can use it for until March or April anyway.

Joe

k-hawinkler

I have the AF-S 80-400. I like the extra reach.
But it can be a little soft in the corners IMHO.
It's tack sharp in the center though.
Its CA is easy to correct.
The new 300/4 would be nice to have.
Also that technology in a longer lens! :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
300/4 at that size, IF it is sharp wide open will be a done deal for many of us. In my case, it could mean I sell my (excellent) Sigma 120-300/2.8 -- love the Sigma IQ, even with converters, but it's HUGE at 300/2.8 proportions.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I preorder the lens when it first came out ...this is one that I need to see if it can work . The 70-200/2.8 Vr has been a work horse for sports ....but what an awful lens to carry around . A small longer lens is exactly where the gap is in my sports equipment . Lots of places I just can t take a larger lens and monopod .

D

Deleted member 7792

Roger, I'm looking forward to your feedback on this lens. Please let us know what you like and don't like, and post some photos when you can. I know it won't be shipping for about a month, so I'll wait patiently.

Joe

Hulyss Bowman

I've seen some full size samples and now I want it. But first I need to buy what is on my waiting list : the 16-35f4 VR

After looking at specs, much to like about this gorgeous looking lens. Would love to see this design/technology in 400, 500, 600 and 800mm versions - a family of supertelephoto-lites. Also curious how this will work on a Nikon 1 camera with the Ft-1 adapter and eventually native 1 lenses in the future.