The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Df users - tips?

JCT

Hi all,

Yeah, so I bought one - it's on it's way. :p :loco:

Plan is to use it with my newly discovered MF Nikon lenses (50mm f/2 and 105mm f 2.5). I'm thinking my remaining f/1.4Ds (50mm and 84mm) might also be a nice match.

Was wondering if you folks who've been using one for awhile have any nice setup tips or tricks you've discovered? I will likely go with a DK-17M to help my lousy eyes.

Input appreciated as always!

JT

DDudenbostel

I use the DK17M also. I pretty much only use MF lenses with the exception of my 85 1.4D. I setup my DF so I use the shutter speed dial and aperture ring on my D lens just as I would a film camera. I turned the LCD off because I don't like it coming on every time I make a shot. It's distracting to me. I also reprogrammed a couple of buttons.

One of the nice things about the Df is how flexible it is for different setup and lens options.

Experiment with different setups and customize the way you like it.

Enjoy your new camera. I like mine so much I rarely take my D800 out for personal work.

JCT

I'm expecting this will be my walk-around camera - and I am looking forward to the old school feel of a proper aperture ring. I can't wait to see the combo of my 85mm 1.4D and that sensor.

Interesting re turning off the LCD, thats a good point. I've gotten so used to checking my shots I have found myself reaching for the preview button on my film cameras - always cracks me up.

I'm going to have to find the sweet spot between the film camera feel that I want and not driving myself mad when switching between my D810 and Df. Jack assures me this is possible... :)

Thanks- I had noticed your other posts regarding how much you were enjoying your Df. Piqued my interest.

JT

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I custom set the front option button so that I can easily select the focal length/max f/stop settings for all of my AI-S lenses. It makes changing and keeping the body/lens in sync very easy.

I also prefer putting the exposure dial on to 1/3 setting and use the rear dial to set exposure versus fussing with the mechanical dial on top. The mechanical approach is ok bt I find it somewhat quaint. Since I shoot in manual mode I also don't use the exposure compensation dial on the left much either.

I also use the DK-17M but I may go back to a regular anti-fog VF since I have to use glasses more these days and it's tough to see the whole frame with the magnified VF eyepiece. I haven't bitten the bullet on an after-market VF glass with MF focusing split center but that's next.

I use the Df as basically a D4 sensor camera in a light tactile body. I seldom use AF G glass so the front aperture adjust dial doesn't get used much - it's a control that you get used to and since I have large hands it's easy to control with my forefinger when needed.

DDudenbostel

I think it's the exposure lock that I programed to bring up the lens selection when I chsngd lenses.

The 85 1.4D is excellent on the Df. I also have a 50 1.2 that produces excellent images as well. My favorite lenses are the 35 1.4, 50 1.2, 85 1.4D and 105 2.5 (all factory AIs). The AIs version of the 28 2.8 is excellent too.

To me, and I'm an old film shooter since the 50's , this is the most enjoyable DSLR I've used and the images are the most pleasing.

Edit: I have a really nice system of G glass that I use on my D800 and it performs as you would expect on the Df. Using G glass though why not just use the D800. It sort of spoils the feel.

Marc J

I use the DK17M which helps with mf lenses. I have been using many non-ai lenses with the camera, as well as some ai lenses. I usually use the camera on M mode with auto-iso. My base auto-iso is set with the dial at 100. This way I can set a fast shutter speed with the dial on the camera, and then set the apertures on the lens and auto-iso controls the exposure. The camera really excels at higher iso's. I have programmed the front fn button to switch auto-iso on or off.