The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I AM Advancing

• Thread starter Deleted member 7792
  • Start date

Godfrey

Godfrey that's a nice spin, but regardless, the Fujifilm updates are useful and welcomed for some features such as AF tracking and 1/32,000 shutter. I think Fuji firmware updates are frequent because they actually listen to customers and add features accordingly.
Oh, I didn't say the updates weren't nice to have. And they do seem to be worth however they're being paid for. But that said, I just can't get on with Fuji cameras. I've tried three (or four) and turned them all around pretty quickly. Something about them, the sensor design, the control ergonomics, the menu design, or whatever, always seems to just not work right for me.

Both Olympus and Panasonic have also issued very good firmware updates that did a lot to improve a camera from its delivered state, as has Leica. They don't issue them as often as Fuji does. But then again, I haven't even bothered with the last two fw updates on my M9 because it works just the way I want as it is.
:)

G

raist3d

I don't see prices on the Fuji system as being much different from prices on the Olympus system, given comparable body/lens choices. It's mostly a toss up between them.
And yet, Fuji is offering the free firmware upgrades that often seems to be missing on the Olympus side.

Fujifilm is a huge outfit, a tiny wing of Fuji Heavy Industries. They can easily afford to cut their profit margin to the bone on the camera division in the thrust for more market share. But the money to pay for development of updates comes from somewhere, and no sensible company takes it for granted. Fuji is a very sensible, successful company. So they've calculated it into their cost of manufacture and taken a slimmer profit.
I agree Fuji could be seeing this as a way to pay their way to marketshare. Sure. I don't think some of the upgrades they have done were calculated this way in the sense that it seemed new discoveries on their end on how to do better AF algorithms and things like that though.

No matter what, you are paying for the updates one way or another. Be sure of it.

G
Well, if the company decides to subsidize it to get their toe in the market, no, you are not paying for them. It would be interesting to see if Fuji kept that up though, if they ever got a significant share of the market.

- Ricardo

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I could not care less about the fact if FW updates are calculated into the products or not - bottom line is that Fuji brings lot of them on top of their camera which are priced very competitive. And this results in extreme good value for the customer (e.g. me) as long as this customer appreciates how Fuji is seeing (designing and building) photography equipment.

For me this is just right. But I am not saying everything is perfect and there is lot of room for improvement even with Fuji, but so far most looks great.

WRT "I am advancing" - I am not bound to Fuji - for the time being it seems to be a great fit for me, but that might change pretty fast as soon as either Nikon or Canon is bringing their whatever real next generation FF DSLRs. I still cannot forget my 1.2/85 II Canon lens, which was (is) by far the best fast portrait lens I ever used and then paired with something new high MP count and high DR coming? Or Nikon with their next gen of Sony sensors combined with some of their latest glass as the new 4/300 etc - there are lot of possibilities which is beautiful!

AreBee

While I agree that additional functionality from periodic firmware updates should extend the life of DSLRs for many, I can't imagine that the cost Nikon would recoup from a subscription model, if indeed it implements one, would outweigh the loss of sales of DSLRs from folk hanging onto their cameras for longer.

Phase One’s firmware updates are about as exciting as being hit in the face by a passing comet (and come around about just as often).
:D

johnnygoesdigital

While I agree that additional functionality from periodic firmware updates should extend the life of DSLRs for many, I can't imagine that the cost Nikon would recoup from a subscription model, if indeed it implements one, would outweigh the loss of sales of DSLRs from folk hanging onto their cameras for longer.

:D
Perhaps It would be sufficient to release firmware updates instead of all these new, very similar camera models. There would be less loss of dslr sales and a mature and refined camera system. Let us spend money on good glass instead.

johnnygoesdigital

Oh, I didn't say the updates weren't nice to have. And they do seem to be worth however they're being paid for. But that said, I just can't get on with Fuji cameras. I've tried three (or four) and turned them all around pretty quickly. Something about them, the sensor design, the control ergonomics, the menu design, or whatever, always seems to just not work right for me.

Both Olympus and Panasonic have also issued very good firmware updates that did a lot to improve a camera from its delivered state, as has Leica. They don't issue them as often as Fuji does. But then again, I haven't even bothered with the last two fw updates on my M9 because it works just the way I want as it is.
:)

G
I've actually found the Fuji (xt1/100T) to be stellar cameras. I love film cameras and these for me, are just about perfect. The little x100t has a higher flash sync then any MFD, and Leica quality primes for the xt1. As Peter pointed out the price point of entry is easily justified, so the free firmware updates seems like a bonus.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
How do you do a useful raw histogram? Without applying a gamma everything just piles up in a spike on the far left edge. This is because on a linear scale the last exposure stop occupies the entire right half of the histogram, the last two stops 3/4 of the histogram, etc. The greater the dynamic range, the more the meaningful parts of the image pile up seemingly at 0.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I love the X-Pro1 and the lenses for it. But the AF is pathetically poor and there is no manual focus assist in optical mode. It can't overlay edge detection on the OVF and needs to be switched into EVF, which to me personally is a no-go. Such a simple thing cripples an otherwise fantastic tool.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

It's only a rumor, and maybe just a hoax.

Sounded strange to begin with, like e.g. the Df and the D4s were not mentioned.

We'll see.

V

Vivek

It's only a rumor, and maybe just a hoax.

Sounded strange to begin with, like e.g. the Df and the D4s were not mentioned.

We'll see.
Some of the big corporations are now using crowd funding and other sites to test the waters. Far easier (cheaper) and a lot more specific than employing a survey company.