The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D750 Under Silent Recall

dogstarnyc

In the UK/EU they are available at Calumet (calphoto.co.uk)
When Calumet folded, the UK end was bought out and re-launched pretty quickly, we still have the same stores and full online, workable e-commerce (the old e-commerce was dire if you remember).

D750 is in stock and available, two other prominent UK based photo retailers have it listed but awaiting stock, Amazon UK only has it listed new, at a dodgy price offered by a dodgy looking third party online retailer.

So this looks like an OTT reaction by Amazon worldwide.

It is being promoted as usual by the 'normal' retailers with a high street and on-line presence and I suspect the out of stock is genuine, this is a very popular camera and now has a backlog as they fix it during production..

Amazon don't do Nikon, or anyone else any favours do they....?

S

Steve P.

Nikon is still paying the price, quite rightly in my view, for their inept handling of the D600 fiasco. If Nikon had handled that in the pro-active manner they seem to be dealing with the frankly less serious problem of the D750 flare issue then people might have been more willing to cut them a little slack, but the erosion of trust over the sneaky way they went about covering up the D600 problems will haunt them for a long time to come. At least they've learned that sweeping things under the carpet to try and save face is a really bad idea. Someone must have tipped them off that there's an internet out there! :rolleyes:

Swissblad

It no longer pays to be an early user - they had issues with the D800 AF etc.

Advantage of waiting….. the price usually drops once the hype is over.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

I could not agree more! Although as soon as GAS comes into play it is not so easy to stay to such commitments :)

Steve P.

This has been my mantra for some time now. As a matter of fact I bought the D600 at an excellent price after the D610 was announced, in the full knowledge that I'd probably have to send it in for shutter replacement. Sure enough, 4,600 images later, back it went. Nikon U.K. turned it around inside a fortnight and I continued happily along for several more months. My only two frustrations with the camera were the A.F. system in low light and the absence of a one-press 100% zoom-in for checking focus. When the D750 came out I broke my own rule and dived in early. So far I've been delighted with it. Although I've had no instance of the flare issue so far, despite quite a few shots into the low winter sun, I'll probably send it in for inspection when the time comes, if only so I can say it's been checked out when I come to sell it on for ' the Next Big Thing!' :)
I'm also in the market for a suitable replacement for my much loved Ricoh GXR-M. The Sony A7s looks promising but I'm sure as hell going to wait for the price of that one to drop when a replacement is announced. Won't be long now. It's been out for months! :D

cam

Sorry to crash this thread, but I know you guys can give me the quick and dirty on the D750 and the flare issue.

My brother just for back into photography and he's a bit overwhelmed with the computer and post-processing stuff so he's not shooting much with the camera. I plan to change this when I get back to the States in February, but I also need to know what to look for as far as the problem goes.

Or do you recommend he take it back from where he bought it (Samy's in early December) and have them send it in to Nikon to have it checked now so we can concentrate on the important stuff when I get back?

Does anybody know how long Nikon's turnaround time is? And/or are they swapping bodies?

TIA

Steve P.

Cam, Imaging Resource has a great article on this, dealing with the issue in depth. I'd start with that. I'm in the U.K. so can't comment on Nikon's U.S. operation but my experience has been positive thusfar. Nikon have said they will issue further information with regard to possible recall towards the end of January. The problem is really quite difficult to replicate as you'll see from the Imaging Resource article. I wouldn't be in any rush to send the camera in just yet.
I've just checked on I.R. You need to go back to January 9th and the title is "Nikon Steps Up For The D750." Once there if you click on the highlighted words "independent investigation" directly below the example image, it will take you to the report.

Last edited:

cam

Thank you, Steve. That was exactly what I was looking for!

I've told him to keep on shooting whilst I'm gone, so hopefully I'll have a bunch of images to look through when I get back and teach him how to ingest the cards… It's really helpful to know what to look for.

(I'm going to put off telling him about the issue at all until I get there and see.)

Steve P.

You're welcome Cam. Unfortunately internet forums can have a way of making mountains out of molehills, so it's nice to get the facts from time to time! :)

To replicate the issue it is not difficult at all, using LV and a desk lamp it took less than a minute to see the dark band at the top of the display.
This does not mean that it will easily occur under normal shooting conditions.

cam

You're welcome Cam. Unfortunately internet forums can have a way of making mountains out of molehills, so it's nice to get the facts from time to time! :)
So true!

That's why I asked here -- and you delivered :D

(but now I'm going to have to look at the manual, ugh, so I can answer questions I know he'll be bombarding me with -- i've never personally shot a digital Nikon…)

cam

To replicate the issue it is not difficult at all, using LV and a desk lamp it took less than a minute to see the dark band at the top of the display.
This does not mean that it will easily occur under normal shooting conditions.
Cool, thank you, Ario!

Desk lamp in or out of frame?

BTW, the IR articles mentioned it only happened with some lenses... Do you know if it affects the Sigma ART? I've been having him shoot with that, exclusively, as all the rest are bulky zooms.

Steve P.

I should have said the problem is quite difficult to replicate...in real world shooting conditions. I tend not to fixate on setting up tests in conditions I'll rarely encounter, although I appreciate the efforts of sites like Imaging Resource for doing these things so's I don't have to. :)

Cool, thank you, Ario!

BTW, the IR articles mentioned it only happened with some lenses... Do you know if it affects the Sigma ART? I've been having him shoot with that, exclusively, as all the rest are bulky zooms.
Slightly above the frame, but in any case in LV view mode it is quite easy to get it tilting slowly the camera upward until the dark ban shows up.
I have only tried with the 50/1.8 but I do not think that it is lens dependent.

Cool, thank you, Ario!

I have just checked with the Sigma 50/1.4 Art and the dark band is there under similar shooting conditions (desk lamp slightly above the frame).

cam

Thank you, both!

He's in L.A. so there's lots of light and lots of sun, so the problem will likely rear it's ugly head IRL more often than other places.

Like I said, I just want to be prepared so I know whether he'll have to send it in (though I suppose it's best to do that anyways, just to be sure?). He's an excellent photographer, just a little scared to enter the digital realm (aside from his iPhone).