The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon color and image chrakter from different bodies

ZHNL

Re: Nikon color and image character from different bodies

Thank you for the link, Swissblad.
I think most of those flickr users quite well support my suggestion (and my experiences with the difficulties in general when capturing flower petals).
Also the flickr histogram example illustrates the problem: the histogram has a heavily blown out red channel.
The Original Poster keeps talking about using exposure compensation in post processing, but at that time it's too late, a lot of the red channel information is already lost in the capture.

Red channel blow up is quite common in flower picture taking. You get better result from D750 might come from higher DR or slightly different RGB filter array in front of sensor.

luminosity histogram will be not much helpful in this case if you use that as a exposure guide. As you may well over expose your individual channel already. So, my suggestion is either underexpose by 1 or 2 stop based on experience or try to watch out individual channel histogram. You need be very careful about it especially you are photo flower, green grass, blue car etc...

I can give you a example: R/G/B 280/35/80 will give you luminosity of 280X0.3 + 35X0.59 + 80X0.11= 113 so you are well below you lum clip point.

For any digital camera, the red usually be problematic(Maybe I should not say that as problem is happen from operator) is that even it has less weight than Green: Green contribute more in Grey exposure, the camera usually will not wildly over or under exposure Green Chanel.

Hope that make sense. I didn't find D700 has more problem than other cameras in RED Chanel per my experience.

Dustbak

I hear this very often from LR users -- in general you've made a choice of the LR workflow and cataloging over superior color -- and that's certainly your prerogative. Personally, I look for the best file I can get from a detail and color standpoint, then learn to adapt the workflow to suit my needs -- and for me C1 works more than adequately, so I guess I'm lucky there. End of day it's great we have options ;)
So right! I use LR to catalogue my files, after that I open/import them into C1 to process them. Talk about making things complicated 😳 It is just I cannot stand the colors coming from LR. Certainly if you start comparing it to what C1 delivers.

Hulyss Bowman

I've been shooting Nikon DSLR since 2008 now. I was renting and late 2012 I bought my first one, the D700. Since then I rented all the ff body on the market apart D600/610/Df/D750 so I won't pronounce myself on this subject.

What I can say is that the renesas sensors (D700/D3/D4/Df) are less "cmos" than the sony sensors, and have a completely different color output. First, the Sony sensors are less contrasty, more flat maybe because backlit. The info are here but you need to dig it in PP to match the original Nikon crisp or whatever. The renesas sensors are more rich in color and contrast while losing a little bit of DR but nobody care about any additional DR at this level.

So I will segregate color output by sensor brand : Sony rendering and renesas rendering. They are quite different and I so far prefer renesas output.

For the D700, yea, colors can go wild sometimes because of AWB. AWB on the D700 is quite sensitive and radical especially when it go wrong. BUT, the kelvin WB settings are flawless thus, when making serious shoots,either you set kelvin right or make a custom WB. That's all.

Concerning the final output out of Nikon body's, C1 give the best (the quickest). LR is good but, by default, it is not as accurate as C1. Using C1 on nikon files can be a revelation for some who never tested it, period.

It is like using good lenses when you always used subpar lenses, even on a D700. I remember the day I bought a Zeiss 100/2 for my D700, used to have only little inexpensive or old FF glasses; it was a revelation, a second life, something completely different.

So for me, renessas sensor color output is superior to Sony color output, whatever you do. For the ppl who want to know if there is a difference between D600/D610/D750 ... I would say no. Just marginal differences maybe linked to either the processor and especially the lenses used. Same goes for D800/800e/810. Same sh*** different body. You might see a difference between D800 and D810 but only because the D810 AWB is freaking damn accurate and far more advanced than all other nikon bodys.

So for me, all goes to the sensor brand and signal processing behind : I AM RENESAS.

(And it is why I keep and pimp my D700 and might get a Df).

http://www.chipworks.com/en/technic...full-frame-dslr-cameras-part-1-nikon-vs-sony/

Last edited:

Paratom

Thanks again for all the interesting answer and experiences.
Its interesting how different are the experiences regarding color.
If I had to decide today I would probably take a D750 body with a D4s sensor but the resolution of a D810 ;)