The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D700 on its way, finally, and at a good price

Lars

I jumped the gun and ordered a D700 last night, the current price point in Sweden is lowest in Europe and seems unlikely to last as currency fluctuations make its impacts, and I've been without a DSLR for five months since I sold my D300.

Pricing at my local store is 15,999 SEK plus sales tax, which is USD 1909 at today's exchange rate. Prices were slightly lower in the UK over the holidays, but no more.

Next up will probably be a Sigma 50/1.4, and a macro. And a grip eventually since I still have the D2x battery and charger. Normal zoom will have to wait, there doesn't seem to be any really good fullframe ones out there except for the 24-70 which is too much money for now.

Last edited:
N

nei1

I agree that it seems to be the best of a very good bunch Lars,if I had the money Id be there too,reasonable price and spectacular low light ability...best of luck,Neil.

viablex1

got one too, I have the 24-70 F2.8 man it is pure sex!!! if:cry: you are ever stateside in TN and craving dumb bible thumping hillbillies, look me up I might let you touch it...:ROTFL::ROTFL: << btw I absolutely abhore this icon but what the hay!!!:cry:

beamon

Good going, Lars! If that price is inclusive of all tax, it is, indeed, a wonderful deal. Mine was ~ 2339 USD two weeks ago. The predicted price increases by knowledgable people hastened the purchase. As of yesterday, the price was still holding, so who knows?

etrigan63

That is my next acquisition camera-wise for my career. Unless the D700x/D800 surfaces and matches the low-light performance of the D700.

ecliffordsmith

Hi Lars,

Congratulations on your very good deal. The lens choice seems very wise. I have no need for a DSLR myself but if I did the D700 would be the one in the current market. It seems to be strong all around.

Carlos,

Do you think a D700X is on the way?

Lars

Just to clarify, my price was before sales tax, we have 25% sales tax here in Sweden but sales tax is fully refunded for businesses so it's not a real cost for me. It's similar across Europe, with some limitations. For example I understand that a business in UK must have a certain revenue to be eliglible for sales tax refund.

I think D700x is a given at some point in time. Even without the presence of A900 / 5DII, it would make sense for Nikon to put the D3x sensor into a D700 body. The question is when, and at what price. My wild guess is $4K list price, announced in May.

M

marknorton

Yes, to reclaim VAT in the UK, you have to be registered to collect it as well on your sales but the bigger issue is that if you buy the camera, claim and get the VAT back, you'd better be ready to convince the tax inspector when he (never had a "she") comes visiting that it's a legitimate business expense.

The two words "VAT Inspection" rank lower in my enjoyment scale than a trip to the dentist...

Lars

Got the camera, updated firware to 1.01.

Finally fullframe! What a relief. Now my fullframe lenses will be happy, notably 85/1.4D, 135/2D DC, 16/2.8D fisheye. Time to consider retiring the F5.

ISO 6400 is an eye-opener, literally. With a f/1.4 lens the camera sees much deeper into shadows than my eye can, even handheld. Shutter doesn't have that authoritative "klokk" that my D2x had, it's more of a "flapp". I guess something had to give.

etrigan63

Well, Nikon does have a history of repeating successful formulae as often as they can. The D3/D300/D700 was such a hit that, with the introduction of the D3X, a D400 highly likely at PMA, a D700X/D800 seems a foregone conclusion. My real concern about these new models will be their low-light performance. My D300 gets some pretty amazing shots and it only has a fraction of the D700's range. The D3X, although more limited ISO-wise than the D3, has not disappointed testers so far. We shall see if the magic happens again with the D400 (rumored at 16Mpx) and the more mysterious D700X/D800 (which is expected to have a D3X sensor crammed in a smaller body.

O

Oxide Blu

Do you think a D700X is on the way?

How much faith do you have in Ken Rockwell?

D700x

Power: EN-EL3e, standard; same as D700, D200, D300, etc.

Size: 5.8 x 4.8 x 3.0" (147 x 123 x 77mm).

Weight: 35.1 oz. (995g) without battery, card, strap, monitor cover or lens.

Price (USA): $4,399, September 2009.

Introduction: 21 August 2009.

Available: Early December 2009.

O

Oxide Blu

I think Rockwell took the time lag between the release of the D3 and the D700, and applied the same time lag between the release of the D3x to his projection for release of a D700x. Hey, we're talking about Nikon; everyone knows they release product based on a complicated formula that extracts a specific date derived from part Mayan calendar, part lunar cycle, and part voodoo. :)

All Japanese electronics manfrs are reassessing sales/market projections, and adjusting manfing and product development/release based on those new projections. It's the 'new' global economy. Significantly less new product is going forward into manfing. Considering how Japan manfring on a whole is repositioning itself, I would not be surprised if some lenses become hard to get for awhile, while there is a glut of other lenses. Perhaps some cameras, too. I think right now we are seeing the fulfillment of previous manfring commitments. Once completed, it's anyone's guess as to what is going to be available, when.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(...) Even without the presence of A900 / 5DII, it would make sense for Nikon to put the D3x sensor into a D700 body. The question is when, and at what price. (...)
It's funny, I think that maybe I'd rather see a 12 Mp A900 than a 24 Mp D700 ...

Did you ever consider the A900 + autofocus Zeiss lenses, or what made you choose the D700 ?
Was it the Nikon glass you already own, or the low-light performance of the larger pixel pitch (lower pixel amount), or ... ?