Site Sponsors

Thread: D700 on its way, finally, and at a good price

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D700 on its way, finally, and at a good price

I jumped the gun and ordered a D700 last night, the current price point in Sweden is lowest in Europe and seems unlikely to last as currency fluctuations make its impacts, and I've been without a DSLR for five months since I sold my D300.

Pricing at my local store is 15,999 SEK plus sales tax, which is USD 1909 at today's exchange rate. Prices were slightly lower in the UK over the holidays, but no more.

Next up will probably be a Sigma 50/1.4, and a macro. And a grip eventually since I still have the D2x battery and charger. Normal zoom will have to wait, there doesn't seem to be any really good fullframe ones out there except for the 24-70 which is too much money for now.
    Last edited by Lars; 3rd February 2009 at 00:29.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

nei1

Re: D700 on its way, finally, and at a good price

I agree that it seems to be the best of a very good bunch Lars,if I had the money Id be there too,reasonable price and spectacular low light ability...best of luck,Neil.

Post Thanks / Like

got one too, I have the 24-70 F2.8 man it is pure sex!!! if you are ever stateside in TN and craving dumb bible thumping hillbillies, look me up I might let you touch it... << btw I absolutely abhore this icon but what the hay!!!

nei1

Thanks viablex ,am booking my flight now.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, well I will have to move my light box and all my positives to accommodate a guest!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Good going, Lars! If that price is inclusive of all tax, it is, indeed, a wonderful deal. Mine was ~ 2339 USD two weeks ago. The predicted price increases by knowledgable people hastened the purchase. As of yesterday, the price was still holding, so who knows?
    Roger
    Leica M6, M8.2 & assorted Leica glass

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is my next acquisition camera-wise for my career. Unless the D700x/D800 surfaces and matches the low-light performance of the D700.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lars,

Congratulations on your very good deal. The lens choice seems very wise. I have no need for a DSLR myself but if I did the D700 would be the one in the current market. It seems to be strong all around.

Carlos,

Do you think a D700X is on the way?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just to clarify, my price was before sales tax, we have 25% sales tax here in Sweden but sales tax is fully refunded for businesses so it's not a real cost for me. It's similar across Europe, with some limitations. For example I understand that a business in UK must have a certain revenue to be eliglible for sales tax refund.

I think D700x is a given at some point in time. Even without the presence of A900 / 5DII, it would make sense for Nikon to put the D3x sensor into a D700 body. The question is when, and at what price. My wild guess is $4K list price, announced in May.

marknorton

Yes, to reclaim VAT in the UK, you have to be registered to collect it as well on your sales but the bigger issue is that if you buy the camera, claim and get the VAT back, you'd better be ready to convince the tax inspector when he (never had a "she") comes visiting that it's a legitimate business expense.

The two words "VAT Inspection" rank lower in my enjoyment scale than a trip to the dentist...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got the camera, updated firware to 1.01.

Finally fullframe! What a relief. Now my fullframe lenses will be happy, notably 85/1.4D, 135/2D DC, 16/2.8D fisheye. Time to consider retiring the F5.

ISO 6400 is an eye-opener, literally. With a f/1.4 lens the camera sees much deeper into shadows than my eye can, even handheld. Shutter doesn't have that authoritative "klokk" that my D2x had, it's more of a "flapp". I guess something had to give.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by marknorton View Post
    two words "VAT Inspection" rank lower in my enjoyment scale than a trip to the dentist...
    For me that's definitely a tie.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, Nikon does have a history of repeating successful formulae as often as they can. The D3/D300/D700 was such a hit that, with the introduction of the D3X, a D400 highly likely at PMA, a D700X/D800 seems a foregone conclusion. My real concern about these new models will be their low-light performance. My D300 gets some pretty amazing shots and it only has a fraction of the D700's range. The D3X, although more limited ISO-wise than the D3, has not disappointed testers so far. We shall see if the magic happens again with the D400 (rumored at 16Mpx) and the more mysterious D700X/D800 (which is expected to have a D3X sensor crammed in a smaller body.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Oxide Blu

Quote Originally Posted by ecliffordsmith View Post

Do you think a D700X is on the way?

How much faith do you have in Ken Rockwell?

D700x

Power: EN-EL3e, standard; same as D700, D200, D300, etc.

Size: 5.8 x 4.8 x 3.0" (147 x 123 x 77mm).

Weight: 35.1 oz. (995g) without battery, card, strap, monitor cover or lens.

Price (USA): $4,399, September 2009.

Introduction: 21 August 2009.

Available: Early December 2009.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oxide Blu View Post
    How much faith do you have in Ken Rockwell?
    His guess is as good as mine. And vice versa, my guess is as good as his hehe.

Oxide Blu

I think Rockwell took the time lag between the release of the D3 and the D700, and applied the same time lag between the release of the D3x to his projection for release of a D700x. Hey, we're talking about Nikon; everyone knows they release product based on a complicated formula that extracts a specific date derived from part Mayan calendar, part lunar cycle, and part voodoo.

All Japanese electronics manfrs are reassessing sales/market projections, and adjusting manfing and product development/release based on those new projections. It's the 'new' global economy. Significantly less new product is going forward into manfing. Considering how Japan manfring on a whole is repositioning itself, I would not be surprised if some lenses become hard to get for awhile, while there is a glut of other lenses. Perhaps some cameras, too. I think right now we are seeing the fulfillment of previous manfring commitments. Once completed, it's anyone's guess as to what is going to be available, when.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well my D700 is now on its way too.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Well my D700 is now on its way too.
    Need some lenses?

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...4214#post74214

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    (...) Even without the presence of A900 / 5DII, it would make sense for Nikon to put the D3x sensor into a D700 body. The question is when, and at what price. (...)
    It's funny, I think that maybe I'd rather see a 12 Mp A900 than a 24 Mp D700 ...

Did you ever consider the A900 + autofocus Zeiss lenses, or what made you choose the D700 ?
    Was it the Nikon glass you already own, or the low-light performance of the larger pixel pitch (lower pixel amount), or ... ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks foto, Woody's got me covered in that respect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post
    It's funny, I think that maybe I'd rather see a 12 Mp A900 than a 24 Mp D700 ...
    Almost agree except I'd like 16mp ish on a Sony Full Frame. It's the in body stabilisation and the Zeiss lenses that are the lure. I used Contax way back when.
    I just can't bring myself to buy a D700 as my 300's are earning me money and I don't have a client base that would appreciate (Know) the difference.
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting find with the D700... I've been very happy with the finder on my F5 and D2x, especially with the high eyepoint design - works great even with large eyeglasses.

On the D700, for some incomprehensible reason Nikon decided to mask the exit pupil of the finder much tighter, cropping off an extra 1.5 mm radius, making it more difficult to get a full view of the finder. Why Nikon did this is a mystery to me - my recollection from using D2x, as well as product photos of D3 and D3x, indicate that this is specific to the D700. Below are photos of the D700 and F5 viewfinders, with the cover glass removed. Would any D3(x) owner comment?

Hmm... Dremel vs. warranty...
    Last edited by Lars; 16th January 2012 at 20:29.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post

Did you ever consider the A900 + autofocus Zeiss lenses, or what made you choose the D700 ?
    Was it the Nikon glass you already own, or the low-light performance of the larger pixel pitch (lower pixel amount), or ... ?
    Switching to A900 would have cost me about... well, it wouldn't be enough to sell my car. Lenses, flashes, accessories. Even selling my Nikon glass, the second hand value would be less than half the price for new Zeiss glass. considering the state of the economy it also makes sense to minimize new investment at this time.

Zeiss glass might be sharp, but I really like the focus to rear-out-of-focus transition rendering of the 85/1.4D. And the 135 DC is unique to Nikon.

I like the nikon flash system.

Low-light performance is for me - at this time - much more interesting than megapixels. The reason is simple - for my high-resolution landscape work I use film, 6x9 cm, 6x17 cm, 4x5", 4x10", 8x10". 12 Mpx goes a long way for the intended use of the D700.

Also, Sony is new on to SLRs. They seem to have gotten things approximately right, but that's not enough for me to dump my Nikon gear already. Time will tell if quality holds up.

I will likely consider Sony/Zeiss again 2-3 years from now.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have to agree. My work is heading towards High ISO tele and the D700/D300 combo is tough to beat.

marknorton

The D3x finder (and I assume the D3 though it is in my office) is similar to the F5 in your picture but upside down compared to your picture - the corners are more clipped at the bottom than the top.

I do think camera manufacturers ignore the eye comfort of eye-glass wearers and for those of you who don't, you will.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think that they went down-hill since the F3HP
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Lars, go to www.memira.se and have them fix your eye-sight

I did the LASIK surgery, and had perfect vision the next morning. Amazing, really.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know too many people for whom LASIK only provided a temporary solution to their vision problems and were back on glasses not long after. No thanks. No one touches my eyeballs unless it is a medical emergency. I don't complain about living with glasses ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    I know too many people for whom LASIK only provided a temporary solution to their vision problems and were back on glasses not long after. No thanks. No one touches my eyeballs unless it is a medical emergency. I don't complain about living with glasses ever.
    My view exactly - I'm OK with contact lenses and glasses for now. Lasik won't hit perfect vision on my -8 diopter eyeballs, and my eyesight will slowly get worse over the years so I'll need reading glasses anyway.

Oxide Blu

LASIK is a 5 to 7 year fix. Some people get more time from it, others less. You can only carve so much on an eyeball and then you are stuck with whatever is left over.

New technology in the last 3 or 4 years; flexible, focusing implants to correct vision near, intermediate, and distant. Bausch & Lomb has an implant lens but it causes some problems for some people. A newer implant lens invented on the peninsula (Menlo Park?) is due to be released anytime now, has passed as govt testing. Per my ophthalmologist, they are trying to get the manfring costs down.

http://www.crystalens.com/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lens implants are only paid for by insurance when you are having cataract surgery. LASIK and other vision corrective procedures are considered elective surgeries (like liposuction and non-reconstructive plastic surgery) and are not covered by insurance in the US. Medical insurance here only pays for surgery if your health is threatened by not having it. They will happily pay for contacts and glasses.

I myself use glasses. I've tried contacts and they give me eye infections regardless of how many times I wash/disinfect the damned things. Gave up on them years ago. Quite content as I am.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've reviewed my lens needs (and wallet), and it looks like I'll be shopping for a cheap normal zoom and a 50 with AF for the moment. My macro needs were resolved for now with Nikon's 5T/6T lenses. I've mentioned my interest in the Sigma 50/1.4 before, and it looks like Sigma's 28-70/2.8 zoom (about $300) might be a good value for a normal zoom.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a new Sigma 28-70? Usually the Tamron 28-75 gets better reviews (less problems with quality control?).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pgmj View Post
    Is there a new Sigma 28-70? Usually the Tamron 28-75 gets better reviews (less problems with quality control?).
    No, same old Sigma. Both lenses are dirt cheap, considering the specs. None is a recent design. I've seen bad reviews of both lenses.

EDIT: Apparently there are two variations of the Sigma, an older which takes 82 mm filters and a newer which takes 67 mm filters. It seems that many of the bad reviews are of the older version of the Sigma.

I have the more recent Tamron 17-50/2.8 (DX) for my D2x - while it was a great lens optically, the internal construction was quite weak with plastic (ok, "composite") in high stress points where metal would have been an obvious choice. I had to do some field repairs to it while travelling in Latin America, which kept it together for another 12 months. Never leave home without superglue.

A friend of mine has the Tamron (Sony mount but still) and it doesn't seem more rugged than my 17-50.

There is a new Sigma 24-70/2.8 HSM on its way, I think it's priced at about 60% of the Nikon. Sigma really needs to deliver on quality with that one.
    Last edited by Lars; 24th February 2009 at 02:03.