The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon's D3x strategy decision - some thoughts

T

TimF

I think Sony have achieved something of a coup by introducing Carl Zeiss lenses which are fully integrated into the camera unlike the basic manual focus, aperture priority only primes for Nikon (and, I assume, Canon).
From what I've read the Zeiss ZE lenses have/will have electronic linkages, so apart from AF should be fully compatible with Canon's bodies. Why is this not the case with the Nikon-mount optics? (and will they be upgraded with such) Maybe those who developed the idea didn't consider that users outside of the old classic manual bodies would use them?:confused:

etrigan63

I don't know why not. Mr. Kobiyashi over at Cosina figured it out with the SL II line. Both lenses are chipped for Nikon in F-mount. Works like a champ!

fotografz

I still do not grasp why the maker of a Professional level DSLR ... now with full frame capability in 2 of it's cameras, does not field a modern AFs 35/1.4. :angry:

It is a mainstay for wedding & event work, journalism and serious street shooters, and probably the most used prime lens of them all.:lecture:

Since I believe most folks who buy comsumer level cameras tend to use zooms, I'd hazard a guess that a 35/1.4 FX would outsell this new 35/1.8 DX ... and at approx. $1,000. (like Canon's 35/1.4L) compared to $200., it'd generate more revenue also. :wtf:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
As even an FX/DX 35 1.8 would outsell the DX only 35mm I'm at a loss to understand why they crippled the lens?
Probably because they needed a cheap lens to sell in large volume. If they made it FX, they would have been slaughtered for not making it good enough. The one they need for the high-end market will not be cheap.

fotografz

Probably because they needed a cheap lens to sell in large volume. If they made it FX, they would have been slaughtered for not making it good enough. The one they need for the high-end market will not be cheap.
I still don't get it. Does Nikon consumer cameras come bundled with a lens like this elsewhere in the world? It doesn't here in the US ... it's usually a crappy zoom.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I still don't get it. Does Nikon consumer cameras come bundled with a lens like this elsewhere in the world? It doesn't here in the US ... it's usually a crappy zoom.
No, they don't, but when you think of the number of 50/1.8 sales, it's a very easy business decision to make.