Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sigma 24mm, I was kind of hoping for this

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sigma 24mm, I was kind of hoping for this

The Sigma 24mm f/1.4 Art was delivered late yesterday as promised by B&H. I used FocusTune and LensAlign to micro-adjust the lens to the D810. It took a +11 adjustment.

Today was pleasant enough to do some testing outdoors. Rather than bore you with multiple photos of my backyard (where I usually first test lenses), I'll simply share my first impressions.

[Edit - Sample photo has been deleted because it was taken in haste on a windy day and not representative of what the lens is capable of. I'll leave sample photos and lens testing to those who do it well.]

My initial impression is that this lens lives up to the reputation established by its 35mm and 50mm Art counterparts. It's sharp edge-to-edge, has excellent micro-contrast, and is well corrected. I'm impressed and now have to decide whether to keep both the new Sigma and the Nikon 20mm f/1.8G (which is also as sharp as a razor). Decisions, decisions...

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Colson; 4th April 2015 at 07:14. Reason: Removed sample photo and link. Corrected typo.

Post Thanks / Like

here is a real test of the lens by the best guy out there IMHO

bottom line - its a good lens - but its no break thru product

Testing the Sigma 24mm f/1.4 Art Lens Against Lenses by Major Manufacturers

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Excellent review by Roger, also published on the lensrentals.com website.

At $849, I don't find it terribly expensive, although some might. Having shot with Leica M and S systems for several years, I've been spoiled. For landscape shooting, which I enjoy, the Sigma Art series lenses - 35mm, 50mm and now 24mm - have filled a void.

At this price point, I wasn't expecting a breakthrough.

Joe

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post

At this price point, I wasn't expecting a breakthrough.

Joe
    I'm not sure if this is a smart move by Sigma. The 35 and 50 were clearly breakthroughs, both with regards to quality and price, more expensive than other Sigma lenses and better than Canikon equivalent. Now, they have entered into a class that is traditionally very expensive with a lens that is priced very low, almost approaching Samyang levels. As could be expected, there's no revolution when it comes to quality. The main reason for buying this lens rather than the Canon or Nikon is price.

Hopefully, Sigma will get back on track with a stellar 85 and/or 135mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm impressed and now have to decide whether to keep both the new Sigma and the Nikon 20mm f/1.8G (which is also as sharp as a razor). Decisions, decisions...

Joe
    I downloaded your full jpeg and granted it's only 1 image but it only looks "good" not "great" -- at least to my eyes... Was it an in-cam jpeg, or LR conversion? Does the raw look the same detail-wise? No secret I am not a fan of LR, but if the raw from Capture1 or NX looks like that jpeg, I wouldn't be in any hurry to get rid of your Nikkor 20...

I wanted the 24 ART to be stellar -- I don't need an "okay" 24. In fact, it's got me thinking the Nikkor 20 would be a better choice for me since I already have an excellent 28. Sorry if this sounds blunt, just thinking out loud...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I wanted the 24 ART to be stellar -- I don't need an "okay" 24. In fact, it's got me thinking the Nikkor 20 would be a better choice for me since I already have an excellent 28. Sorry if this sounds blunt, just thinking out loud...
    Exactly my thought also, except I seem to be going for the Zeiss 21.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you've already got a 28 then the 20 makes more sense but if you're looking for a general purpose wide angle to complement a 35 or 50 then the Sigma Art is still a compelling option in the context of what's out there. I think the superlative quality of the 35 and 50 Art has raised expectations pretty high but can we really expect Sigma to hit it out of the park every time? It's still a fast 24 at a very competitive price point and I don't think many people will feel let down by the results.

Post Thanks / Like

I am kind of in again for a more extrem WA as well and a complete prime selection for the Nikon Df.

I must say that as supplement to the 1.8/35G I have tested which is an excellent and overall small lens I would choose the 1.8/20G as this is light weight and produces excellent IQ.

The Sigma ART 35 and 85 are great for sure, but relatively heavy and large again and I might most times not need 1.4 with the sensor of the Df. But maybe as many of you say the Sigmas are better than their Nikkor counterparts. Anyway I am trying to keep my equipment as small and lightweight as possible so I will probably go for the 1.8/85G which is excellent and lightweight again.

As a fast lens in my lineup I am leaning towards the 1.4/50G or even better the 1.4/58G, which seems to be a real marvel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Anyway I am trying to keep my equipment as small and lightweight as possible so I will probably go for the 1.8/85G which is excellent and lightweight again.
    I'm the same way inclined. I looked at the Sigma 35 Art very closely but decided on the 35mm f1.8g for size and weight on my D750. I also have the 50 and 85 f1.8g and I can tell you the 85 is the best of the bunch. I'm sure you'll be satisfied if you opt for it.
    Then again, I recently picked up a Voigtlander 20mm sl II for my wide angle so what do I know!?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I downloaded your full jpeg and granted it's only 1 image but it only looks "good" not "great" -- at least to my eyes... Was it an in-cam jpeg, or LR conversion? Does the raw look the same detail-wise? No secret I am not a fan of LR, but if the raw from Capture1 or NX looks like that jpeg, I wouldn't be in any hurry to get rid of your Nikkor 20...

I've deleted the full-size JPEG (and the Web-size JPEG) because they are not representative of what the lens is capable of. The sample was a LR conversion, not an in-camera JPEG. I don't use C1 or NX for reasons I can elaborate on in another thread.

I'll leave the lens testing to the pros, like your friend Lloyd, Roger Cicala and Ken Rockwell, who have the time, skill, attention to detail, and revenue stream that I lack.

In the meantime, I'll likely enjoy both the Nikon 20mm f/1.8G and the Sigma 24mm f/1.4 Art until one proves measurably better than the other in real-world photography. Good luck with whichever you choose.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Exactly my thought also, except I seem to be going for the Zeiss 21.
    I've been bouncing back and forth re Nikon 20 vs Zeiss 21 for months. Will keep reading about the Sigma, but I just can't get the Zeiss out of my head.

At this point it may be time to sell my "least used" camera, use the proceeds to make up the difference for the Zeiss and be done with it.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Zeiss 21mm is a classic and very good but it does have a mustache distortion that your going to have to deal with in post. The Zeiss 25 F2 is also killer wide.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    The Zeiss 21mm is a classic and very good but it does have a mustache distortion that your going to have to deal with in post. The Zeiss 25 F2 is also killer wide.
    Good point - no free lunch when it comes to lenses (especially for the D810). That's a good point re the 25mm Zeiss, Last trip I ended up with quite a few shots at 24, might work for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For what it's worth, Lloyd Chambers' review is very positive re the Sigma 24/1.4 Art, just as it was for the 35 & 50.

As tested on a D810, his conclusion posted today was:
    "This is a first class performance, with little to criticize. There can be no doubt that this is the finest autofocus 24mm lens for Nikon or Canon available as of mid 2015. That it is an f/1.4 design is even more impressive."

"Will Zeiss deliver an Otus in this range? That is likely the requirement to clearly beat the results seen here."

Just received my copy yesterday, so perhaps I'll have some samples to share soon (with the D800e).

Gary
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I REALLY like the 25 F2 as well. It is a chunky/stout lens and if you don't need AF or fast 1.4 light-gathering, then it might just do the job. Here's a screengrab from LR of an image taken this morning. f/8 on D810. The diagonal line at lower right is flare from the sun, which was just out of frame. It probably could have been eliminated by shielding with my hand. Be aware of field curvature at wider apertures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    "Will Zeiss deliver an Otus in this range? That is likely the requirement to clearly beat the results seen here."

Just received my copy yesterday, so perhaps I'll have some samples to share soon (with the D800e).

Gary
    I'd wish for something from Zeiss that keeps the same speed (or even slower!) and form factor, but improves flatness of field and has better correction of the outer 1/3. Otus = large.
    Enjoy your new Sigma; it looks very competent!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Depending on ones needs, a Zeiss 18/25 combo is obviously an alternative to the 21. I'd managed to forget that. I'll see if I can forget it again, to avoid stressing my wallet more than necessary
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just a few quick shots on my way to the office this morning. Gray and overcast here, but at least the inch of snow we got overnight had already melted away. I apologize for the subject matter, nothing very photogenic in this area of Anchorage. Maybe I can get a shot of the rock sculptures in front of the office building where I work later today.

Gary

D800e and the Sigma 24/1.4 Art lens. ISO 200 and f8

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I took a break from work and met a friend for coffee a short while ago. He also shoots with a D800e and has the Sigma 35/1.4 Art lens, so of course he wanted to check out the 24. He likes to shoot close and wide open. The lens was just inches away from this cup. ISO 200, f1.4 at 1/1250th second. Bright sun streaming in from the window on the left.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually looks very good -- can you post some corner center and crops at 100%?
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually looks very good -- can you post some corner center and crops at 100%?
    Will do Jack. From which image would you like to see the crops? These were all hand held, but for now at least, these are the only examples I have.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I took a gamble and went with the shot of the mural. This image was converted from the Raw file with ACR and very minimal processing in PS6. No sharpening was applied to these 100% crops. Photo was shot hand held, ISO 200, 1/200th at f8 with a D800e. Autofocus indicator/confirmation was on the "Customer Parking Only" sign.

Center 100% crop

Left Upper 100% crop

Left Lower 100% crop

Right Upper 100% crop

Right Lower 100% crop

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Keep in mind that this mural was probably spray painted on the concrete cinder block wall at least 4 years ago and so the painting itself is probably not a good test of sharpness and acutance.

Gary
    Last edited by bensonga; 6th April 2015 at 07:43.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Gary, these are great, and do show what I wanted to see. Lens is back on my acquire list -- at least to test it for a few months for my self

One way to visualize curvature, would be to look at the lower LH or RH corner of the shot you took of the corner of the building -- assuming you focused at the corner or slightly into the frame. In those, the foreground is closer enough to the camera to see if/how field curvature may present in the pavement detail. My guess is this lens will have a pretty significant amount in those last 3 or 4 mm of image frame corner where it started to look soft in the "flat" wall shot...

The coffee cup shot is also telling -- excellent bokeh with really nice transition into the oof areas!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've deleted the full-size JPEG (and the Web-size JPEG) because they are not representative of what the lens is capable of. The sample was a LR conversion, not an in-camera JPEG. I don't use C1 or NX for reasons I can elaborate on in another thread.
    Joe, no need to have deleted, your web jpeg looked great! Once you said "LR jpeg" I was already suspicious that could be the -- or part of the -- cause of what I was seeing, and why I asked how it was generated. (Not sure why, but my experience is LR does not do a very good job with high frequency detail. It may be part of an automated sharpening they apply or ??? What's ironic is that Photoshop does a great job -- you'd think it would be the same conversion engine in LR...)

Please put the image back up, I think folks will appreciate seeing it!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary did a far better job than I did in showing what the lens is capable of. From my point of view, it's on par with the other two Art lenses. It will stay in my kit.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like my GAS will start including Sigma ART lenses……

Thanks for posting guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another view, a bit less positive, but still rates the Sigma very high. This is from Lensrentals no fee to read. Nice comparison.

LensRentals.com - Just the Lenses: Sigma 24 f/1.4 Art Comparison

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joe, no need to have deleted, your web jpeg looked great! Once you said "LR jpeg" I was already suspicious that could be the -- or part of the -- cause of what I was seeing, and why I asked how it was generated. (Not sure why, but my experience is LR does not do a very good job with high frequency detail. It may be part of an automated sharpening they apply or ??? What's ironic is that Photoshop does a great job -- you'd think it would be the same conversion engine in LR...)

Please put the image back up, I think folks will appreciate seeing it!
    LOL! No worries. If you've ever been to NC, you know that we're a "high frequency detail" paradise. Even our mountains are full of high frequency detail. It's hard to get away from it and some people get claustrophobic, especially if they've moved here from the desert Southwest.

Anyway, here's a shot from today. This time, I turned off the Detail panel in LR, i.e., no sharpening, did the following adjustments in the Basic panel in LR, and had LR generate a full-sized JPEG (with no sharpening applied). No adjustments in the LR Lens Corrections panel because LR doesn't have a profile for this lens (yet). Rain clouds were moving in and there was a slight breeze. This was hand-held. Focus was on the forsythia (yellow shrubs) in the foreground. EXIF is in the border.

Link to full-size JPEG

And a link to a full-size JPEG with my LR "Tim Ashley Recipe" sharpening applied. Probably too "crunchy" for this lens.

As you can see, Spring is showing its colors here in central NC. This is a beautiful time of year, and I look forward to getting a lot of use from the Sigma 24mm Art.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Colson; 6th April 2015 at 13:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Another view, a bit less positive, but still rates the Sigma very high. This is from Lensrentals no fee to read. Nice comparison.

LensRentals.com - Just the Lenses: Sigma 24 f/1.4 Art Comparison

Paul
    Paul,

Yep, "trioderob" and I posted links to Roger's review earlier in this thread. Thanks.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There was some discussion of the Nikon AF-S 20/1.8G lens earlier in this thread, as an alternative to the Sigma 24/1.4 Art. I happen to have this Nikon lens in my camera bag also. Today, when I passed by that same "Pete's Tobacco Shop" building, I took some pics of the painted mural with the 20/1.8G lens. Similar overcast light as the photos I took on Sunday. If anyone is interested, I could post similar 100% crops from the Nikon lens here.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary, I would love to see those crops. I own the Nikon 20mm f/1.8G also, and it's no slouch. My dilemma is which to keep. Or both?

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary, I would love to see those crops. I own the Nikon 20mm f/1.8G also, and it's no slouch. My dilemma is which to keep. Or both?

Joe
    +1, absolutely!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joe
    I think keeping both is the correct answer Joe. But then, I'm of the school that says you can never have too many good lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1, absolutely!
    Will do then. I'll post them when I get home this evening.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I think keeping both is the correct answer Joe. But then, I'm of the school that says you can never have too many good lenses. 😉
    Agree, one can never have too many good lenses but at the same time may end up with too little food in the cupboard. .

Gary, looking forward to your comparitive shots with the Sigma 24 and Nikon 20.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Agree, one can never have too many good lenses but at the same time may end up with too little food in the cupboard. .

Dave (D&A)
    LOL.....I could stand to lose a few pounds and inches around the waistline, so perhaps a little less food (or wine) in the cupboard and more good glass in the camera bag is a solution. Not sure my wife will accept that rationale, but it might be worth a try.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

any way you can take a image on tripod with mirror lock up - maybe f8 ?

cable release and iso 100 also

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by trioderob View Post
    any way you can take a image on tripod with mirror lock up - maybe f8 ?
    cable release and iso 100 also
    thanks
    Tripod, cable release, mirror lock up and ISO 100....darn, I missed it. Too late for my shots, but maybe someone else here can contribute comparison shots with better techniques than mine.

I did shoot the following images at f8, so I got it 20% right, just by chance!

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And here they are, for what's it worth. Nikon D800e, Nikon AF-S 20mm f1.8G lens. Shot hand held, ISO 200, 1/250th at f8. Converted from Raw in ACR, minimal processing in PS and no sharpening applied to the 100% crops. I tried to get the framing as close as I could to the Sigma 24/1.4 shots above....but at 61, my memory for precise details isn't as good as it once was (and truth be told, it was never that good).

Gary

Full image

Center 100% crop

Left Upper 100% crop

Left Lower 100% crop

Right Upper 100% crop

Right Lower 100% crop
    Last edited by bensonga; 6th April 2015 at 23:52.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ben, Images look great! Slight edge to the Sigma, but that could be the handheld variance.

I think what we really need is a tripod mounted side by side comparison...same light...same distance.

Hope you have nothing better to do. We need the facts

Thanks for your post's.

Still trying to figure out which one to get

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Thanks for your post's.

Still trying to figure out which one to get
    Thanks Harry! Re which lens to get....my motto is, if in doubt, get them both.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong, either way.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For me 20mm is a very different focal length to 24mm in how I use it and think about it. 24mm seems to be about as wide a general purpose wide angle as I'd like and 20mm is for getting closer into the detail in a more selective way. I find it hard to make 20mm work for me in general use. At the moment I have a 20mm and a 28mm but if I think about 24mm then it's the 28 that I'd be looking to replace before the 20. I guess it's all just a mindset thing at the end of the day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Gary!

Have to say I'm surprised at how little difference there is between them! Sigma edges out slightly at center, but Nikon edges out slightly at corners. And then the difference is minimal anyway -- to the point it isn't going to matter for most applications.

Has me thinking that since I already have the 28, I may just skip the 24 and goto the 20. The 24 is such a useful landscape focal, but I do own a very good copy of the 24PC-E so am really pretty well set. Love the ART's bokeh though. Decisions, decisions. May just spring for both.
    Jack

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like to see the Zeiss 25 F2 against this lens. It was better than Nikons 24 when I had it back when.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think keeping both is the correct answer Joe. But then, I'm of the school that says you can never have too many good lenses.
    Thanks Harry! Re which lens to get....my motto is, if in doubt, get them both.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong, either way.

Gary
    Thanks Gary!

Have to say I'm surprised at how little difference there is between them! Sigma edges out slightly at center, but Nikon edges out slightly at corners. And then the difference is minimal anyway -- to the point it isn't going to matter for most applications.

Has me thinking that since I already have the 28, I may just skip the 24 and goto the 20. The 24 is such a useful landscape focal, but I do own a very good copy of the 24PC-E so am really pretty well set. Love the ART's bokeh though. Decisions, decisions. May just spring for both.
    Thanks Gary. Since I've got both, I thought I'd fall in love with one over the other. I don't feel any pressure to do that, now that I've compared images using both lenses. Both will stay.

My wife once asked (about my woodworking equipment), "Why do you have so many routers?" My answer was, "A man cannot have too many routers." The same principle applies to lenses, camera bags, tripods, and the size of ones TV screen.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I made a set of 13x19 inch prints of the Pete's Tobacco Shop mural (above), shot with both the Sigma 24/1.4 Art and the Nikon 20/1.8G lenses tonight. Gotta say...they both look great, but both my wife and I give the Sigma print top honors. I also made a large print of the coffee cup image above (shot with the Sigma)...the color, bokeh etc is beautiful.

That Sigma is definitely a keeper. Now I just need to get out and put it to better use!

Gary
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Gary, enjoy your toys.

I'll be looking closely at the 24mm ART….. and look forward to you updates.

Post Thanks / Like

Collected my pre-order this morning from Cambrian Photography in Colwyn Bay. Initial impressions are that this lens balances nicely on the D810 even without a battery grip and focussing speed is more than adequate for my kind of photography.
    John L Dobson
    Editor, Ffestiniog Railway Magazine

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've had the Sigma ART 24mm for some days and my experience has been somewhat mixed. After a little work calibrating AF on the D810 using the Sigma dock (it was way off), I find a rather undulating field of sharpness at or near infinity. This causes some parts of the image in the B region to become moderately blurry at wider apertures. Mostly gone by f5,6, but needs really f8 to be eliminated. Near the edges I find a pronounced curvature of field with the plane of focus moving strongly towards the camera. This is a rather common fault.

It is possible to get reasonably sharp edge to edge results at distance by focusing a bit beyond the sharpest point in the center of the image, thus dragging the edges outward. DOF takes care of the rest. But again, f8 is required for best results.
    Obviously these results apply to my sample so take it FWIW.
    All in all a good, but hardly great 24mm.
    Btw. I have the 2/25mm Distagon ZF2, might compare the two when time permits.