Thread: Sigma 24mm, I was kind of hoping for this

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sigma 24mm, I was kind of hoping for this

I just saw this too…. very tempting…. just hope the quality is good… my Sigma 150mm Macro (which is a great lens) is enroute to Japan for an AF fix…. 12 week wait period indicated on the repair slip…..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh crap, another got to have it.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Oh crap, another got to have it.
    Jack, me too.

The Sigma 35mm and 50mm Art lenses are stellar AND priced reasonably compared to Nikon and Zeiss alternatives. I bought the 50mm based on your recommendation and haven't been disappointed. In fact, I'd say I'm gobsmacked by its performance.

In your recent workshop you used the 17-35mm for super-wide coverage. I'm curious about the focal length(s) that resulted in keepers using that lens in those shooting locations. When I look at my LR catalog for images I shot using that lens (I've owned two or three of 'em), I find my keepers clustered in the 22-26mm range. That would suggest that a 24mm prime might be a good alternative to carrying a zoom. What's been your experience?

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I took back the 20mm f1.8

I will buy this lens

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Jack, me too.

The Sigma 35mm and 50mm Art lenses are stellar AND priced reasonably compared to Nikon and Zeiss alternatives. I bought the 50mm based on your recommendation and haven't been disappointed. In fact, I'd say I'm gobsmacked by its performance.

In your recent workshop you used the 17-35mm for super-wide coverage. I'm curious about the focal length(s) that resulted in keepers using that lens in those shooting locations. When I look at my LR catalog for images I shot using that lens (I've owned two or three of 'em), I find my keepers clustered in the 22-26mm range. That would suggest that a 24mm prime might be a good alternative to carrying a zoom. What's been your experience?

Joe
    Joe,

Good word -- I'd say I'm rather gobsmacked by my 50 ART as well And yes, with the 17-35, I am very often hovering around 24-25, occasionally at the 18-ish mark, and occasionally at the 32-ish mark. But more than often so near 24 I'm going for a 24 ART as soon as they're available. My copy of that zoom is very good, excellent centrally, but not even in the same zipcode as the 35 or 50 ART in the outer 1/3. I also have a very good copy of the 24 PC-E, and while it's better in the outer 1/3rd than the zoom, it isn't quite as good centrally as the zoom, so again, the 24 ART is very appealing to me for general landscape.

In the end, the 24, 50, 85 is a tough trio to beat for landscape work. I may force myself to take only those lenses on the next workshop just to see how it goes

Somewhat paradoxically, I find 24 often not quite wide enough for travel, and prefer an 18/20 as my wide travel focal, so the zoom will get pressed into action there. My travel set is usually a foursome, 18, 28, 50 and 105 -- and the only 18 I own is the zoom. Though for travel, I could quite happily manage with just a 28!
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sigh, another lens for the bag...
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Somewhat paradoxically, I find 24 often not quite wide enough for travel, and prefer an 18/20 as my wide travel focal, so the zoom will get pressed into action there. My travel set is usually a foursome, 18, 28, 50 and 105 -- and the only 18 I own is the zoom. Though for travel, I could quite happily manage with just a 28!
    Interestingly, my travel combo is nearly the same; 20/28/50/105. It would be interesting to see how I would cope with 24/50/105 though, and possibly add a 180, which I sometimes miss.

Post Thanks / Like

My travel combo would either be the D750 (when back from service) the 28 Voigtlander and 85mm 1.8G, with the 50mm 1.8G as a possible addon. But a 24/50 combo would be pretty nice too. I'm kinda partial to the Leica for travel though with 25/50 combo.

I had and sold the sigma 24mm f/1.8. Loved the angle of view and macro ability. Didn't like the overall image quality. The Art could be a keeper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Interestingly, my travel combo is nearly the same; 20/28/50/105. It would be interesting to see how I would cope with 24/50/105 though, and possibly add a 180, which I sometimes miss.
    Interesting ---- I recently added a 180 to take in lieu of the 105
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great souls.... etc.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hopefully this lens will correct for coma better then Nikon's 24 1.4 and their new 20 1.8. Sadly the 20 has the coma problem as bad as the 24.

Sigma has made a point about a special element designed to correct for coma so I will preorder this lens when it available for order.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joe,

Good word -- I'd say I'm rather gobsmacked by my 50 ART as well And yes, with the 17-35, I am very often hovering around 24-25, occasionally at the 18-ish mark, and occasionally at the 32-ish mark. But more than often so near 24 I'm going for a 24 ART as soon as they're available. My copy of that zoom is very good, excellent centrally, but not even in the same zipcode as the 35 or 50 ART in the outer 1/3. I also have a very good copy of the 24 PC-E, and while it's better in the outer 1/3rd than the zoom, it isn't quite as good centrally as the zoom, so again, the 24 ART is very appealing to me for general landscape.

In the end, the 24, 50, 85 is a tough trio to beat for landscape work. I may force myself to take only those lenses on the next workshop just to see how it goes

Thanks for your insights, Jack. At the moment, I'm using the Nikon 20mm f/1.8 at the super-wide end (or the 14-24mm zoom) and have found it to be sharp to the edges with good micro-contrast. For my shooting, the new Sigma 24mm may be a better choice from a focal length perspective. I hope Sigma bakes the cake as well as they did with the 35mm and 50mm

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    ...and possibly add a 180, which I sometimes miss.
    Which 180mm are you guys adding?

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I added the later 180/2.8 AF-D. Relatively small and lightweight and best of all, very affordable! Excellent centrally wide open, and only slightly less so at the outer say 15% -- so 85% central is excellent wide open, and that region improves as you stop down. But to be clear, it does have that older glass slightly smoother look, not quite as crisp as the newer offerings, but it makes a wonderful people lens and good for isolations of land and travel-scapes.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I added the later 180/2.8 AF-D. Relatively small and lightweight and best of all, very affordable! Excellent centrally wide open, and only slightly less so at the outer say 15% -- so 85% central is excellent wide open, and that region improves as you stop down. But to be clear, it does have that older glass slightly smoother look, not quite as crisp as the newer offerings, but it makes a wonderful people lens and good for isolations of land and travel-scapes.
    This one, I presume. For me, anything above 100-135mm needs to either a) be mounted on a tripod, b) have VR, or c) be shot at 1/250-1/500sec. to ensure sharpness. The 70-200mm VR works for me, but there are occasions when I wish for something less bulky.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's it, but I bought it used from KEH for less than half that price -- like $390 or so IIRC for an EXC-. Also, it is light enough I personally do not need the tripod shoe. VR is nice, but again, I don't need it for most of what I shoot this lens with, even when hand-holding. Or stated differently, I don't appreciate the weight of the 70-200/2.8 VR or the loss of a stop for the f4 version -- but admit that *IF* I shot this focal range more frequently, I would probably opt for the 70-200/4 VR lens. But then at 1/3rd the price, this lens does just fine for me
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 24 came in at $849.00 US, not too bad if it delivers like the 50mm.

Paul
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And available April 20, maybe just in time for spring desert wildflowers

Or possibly a week too late
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dammit!!! I need a 12-step program. Or a winning Powerball ticket.

Pre-ordered.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's it, but I bought it used from KEH for less than half that price -- like $390 or so IIRC for an EXC-. Also, it is light enough I personally do not need the tripod shoe. VR is nice, but again, I don't need it for most of what I shoot this lens with, even when hand-holding. Or stated differently, I don't appreciate the weight of the 70-200/2.8 VR or the loss of a stop for the f4 version -- but admit that *IF* I shot this focal range more frequently, I would probably opt for the 70-200/4 VR lens. But then at 1/3rd the price, this lens does just fine for me
    +1 Haven't bought it yet, but it's tremendous value second hand at a quarter of the price of the more flexible 70-200mm f/4. It also works well with my Tamron 1.4x TC. Would be interesting to try it out with the Nikkor 20TC III.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    The 24 came in at $849.00 US, not too bad if it delivers like the 50mm.

Paul
    At that price I'm really glad I held out on ordering the Nikon counterpart or the new 20mm f1.8

Post Thanks / Like

And available April 20, maybe just in time for spring desert wildflowers

Or possibly a week too late
    What is the close focus limit…. as my 150mm Macro is being serviced I'l looking of an interim alternative….

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Swissblad View Post
    At that price I'm really glad I held out on ordering the Nikon counterpart or the new 20mm f1.8
    I was thinking the exact same thing, usually an announcement like this comes out the week after I buy something else. And I had been unable to convince myself to go with the new 20mm f1.8 ...

Agree with everyone else, if it is anywhere as good as my 35mm ART then I will get one.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd expected this to be announced during Photokina and was disappointed when it wasn't.

I Just put in a pre-order at Cambrian Photography…
    John L Dobson
    Editor, Ffestiniog Railway Magazine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    I was thinking the exact same thing, usually an announcement like this comes out the week after I buy something else. And I had been unable to convince myself to go with the new 20mm f1.8 ...

Agree with everyone else, if it is anywhere as good as my 35mm ART then I will get one.
    I was tempted by the new 20mm f1.8, but, I never put my old 20mm to good use…too wide for most of my needs - the new 24mm f1,4 on the other hand seems perfect…. curious to read 1st reports.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some sample images were posted on DPReview today. Not necessarily images that one can make a purchasing decision on, so don't shoot the messenger.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like a sweet deal. Can possibly replace 20 as well as 28mm for me (although I'll probably keep the AiS versions) and under half the price of the Nikkor.

Post Thanks / Like

If Sigma manages to get the centering right, I will be very interested in this lens.
    What I am not keen on is to go through 5 or 6 different lenses to find one that is equally sharp on both sides of the frame on the D800e.

Still, this procedure was absolutely worth it with Sigmas 35mm 1.4 Art -
    so even then I might be in for it. Not many great + affordable wide-angle alternatives out there for the D800e...

Curious to test it when it's available.

Post Thanks / Like

any of you guys think this lens will be as good as a Zeiss 21MM mf lens ?

Post Thanks / Like

Any idea when delivery will start.....?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

B&H is quoting April 20, but I expect it will be available sooner. Hope so.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lloyd Chambers posted a review of the lens on his paid site. His conclusion:

"Canon and Nikon shooters: run, don’t walk and order this lens."

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Colson; 27th March 2015 at 06:28. Reason: Added link

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I still hold out hope for Nikon to bring an f1.8 version of similar quality to the rest of their f1.8 g primes to the market. The ONLY downside for me to the Sigma Art range is the size/weight/speed trade off vs the Nikkors. But if you want f1.4 then Sigma's kicking Nikon's and everyone else's a** with these.

Post Thanks / Like

here is what I don't understand.

in the 20-24 range wont most of you guys use a lens for landscape/ seascape etc.....

why do you need such a fast lens

it seem like a slow lens optimized for infinity would be more useful

??????

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by trioderob View Post

in the 20-24 range wont most of you guys use a lens for landscape/ seascape etc.....

??????
    Actually, any lens optimized for 50 meters or further and outstanding at f4 would be awesome. The reality is, at least in 35 and 50, nothing is as good as the ART lenses at f4 through f8, at least for Nikon.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by trioderob View Post

??????
    I don't know about others, but I mostly use my WA lenses for industrial photography, sometimes at old, badly lit plants with little space for a tripod.

Post Thanks / Like

The thin plane of focus of a fast wide-angle can be used for interesting effects - sample photos with Nikon equivalent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The reviews of this lens show it has considerable coma in the corners, from F1.4 to up to F 3.2. I had hoped to see the same lack of coma that the Sigma 35mm 1.4 has.

The bokeh also seems very worried to me. But those are just from some sample web shots.

The coma issue was a killer for me. I had really hoped this lens would be a night photography wonder.

See review from lenstip.com

Sigma A 24 mm f/1.4 DG HSM review - Introduction - Lenstip.com

Paul
    Last edited by Paul2660; 29th March 2015 at 10:59.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lloyd Chambers has posted more of his review of this lens, with sample images, on his paid site. Impressive performance, smooth velvety bokeh, sharp to the corners, and well corrected ("...the least evidence of chromatic errors, and the least veiling haze" when compared to equivalent [Canon] lenses).

"First class performance, seemingly the finest 24mm f/1.4 lens ever realized for a DSLR, or conservatively speaking, no less good than the best Nikon or Canon or Leica M has to offer."

I'm not pushing Lloyd's site, nor am I affiliated with him in any way.

Paul, I understand your quest for a coma-free super-wide, and, from looking at the galleries on your website, admire your night sky work. Good luck in your search. This lens may not satisfy your needs, but it sure looks like just the ticket for what I enjoy shooting.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Joe:

Yes, I feel that for most shooting this will be a great lens indeed. Appearing to surpass the Nikon 24 1.4 in most areas for much less cost. Hopefully someone else will post info on it on a non pay site showing some more examples of bokeh. The examples I have seen were not that good but it seems Lloyd likes it, which is positive.

I had hoped this would be the answer for night work, but as you say, the quest will continue. All the other positive features of this lens make it one for my short list for sure.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Thanks for your insights, Jack. At the moment, I'm using the Nikon 20mm f/1.8 at the super-wide end (or the 14-24mm zoom) and have found it to be sharp to the edges with good micro-contrast. For my shooting, the new Sigma 24mm may be a better choice from a focal length perspective. I hope Sigma bakes the cake as well as they did with the 35mm and 50mm

Joe
    Joe would you recommend the Nikon 20mm 1.8G ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Bellyk View Post
    Joe would you recommend the Nikon 20mm 1.8G ?
    Dan,

Yes, I would highly recommend the Nikon 20mm f/1.8G. My copy is sharp edge-to-edge with great microcontrast. It lives up to the positive reviews posted on the Web. Reduced sized Web JPEGs don't do it justice. Here's a Dropbox link to a full-sized JPEG from last fall.

Having said that, I'm going to evaluate the Sigma 24mm f/1.4 Art lens when it becomes available, primarily because I'm so impressed with the 35mm and 50mm Art lenses that I own. Whether I keep the Nikon 20mm f/1.8G will depend on how the Sigma compares and whether both can play a role in my shooting.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Joe was really thinking of this lens on my transition back into Nikon, took a crap kicking switching to Pentax 645Z and back to Nikon so my lens lineup is going to be thin
    I have the Nikon 24-70 but was hoping to get the prime for sharpness and also being a little wider. I just picked up the 85mm 1.8 G and it's a great little lens.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

I just received my Nikon 20mm f/1.8 today and took it out for a spin. I have been a die-hard 17-35 guy but I am trying to lighten the travel kit and still be able to take the Nikon 800. So I am really impressed with the 20mm. It is quite sharp in the corners, unless I put the sun into the picture no flare or ghosts. Even with the sun in the frame not at all objectionable. I find that 20mm is my usual focal length using the 17-35mm so a 20mm prime is perfect for what I want it for. It reduces my travel kit to the 20mm, an old MF 55mm micro, the 135 mm DC and the new 300mm. A little over 7 lbs not counting the case and the other stuff(filters, batteries, cards and asst'd. crap I seem to always need if I don't take it and never need if I do)
    Not interesting pictures, but pretty good for the extreme corner which I don't care about anyway. 100 ISO d800e, f/8. The left hand shot is the center, the right hand is extreme left hand bottom corner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Bellyk View Post
    I just picked up the 85mm 1.8 G and it's a great little lens.
    Yes it is! As is the 50/1.8. And so light you hardly notice it's there. I picked up a 28mm Voigtlander and really like that as well. I figured if I went back into DSLRs it might as well be as light as can be. And it's within 25 grams of my Leica kit!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Swissblad View Post
    Any idea when delivery will start.....?
    I received an "it's been shipped" email notice from B&H this afternoon. Should have it in a couple of days.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Keep us posted, Joe - and have fun…