The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D810 shutter release etc.

dwood

I'm a longtime Sony shooter that recently picked up a D810. First thing on my list of needed goodies includes a remote shutter release, and I'm thinking of going the wireless route. Any of these things that you guys like and can recommend? Also, any other D8xx "must have" widgets that I should look at?

-Doug

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I had the wireless release and end of day never used it, has a lot of nifty features though ;). I kept the wired remote but never use it either. For tripod/landscape work, I set up a custom shooting menu that limits AF to the rear AF button, uses the 3 sec shutter delay which gives you mirror-up, a 3 second rest, then fires. Since doing this, I haven't used the remote once.

My favorite accessories for the D810 are the RRS L bracket, a pair of 64gig cards and a spare battery. Beyond that, I haven't needed anything else. I even have the optional vertical grip and never use it either :ROTFL:

D

Deleted member 7792

Doug,

For simplicity, I use the MC-30 wired remote that connects to the 10-pin connector. There are wireless options, some of which are covered here in a DPReview thread. I used a wireless infrared remote with my Nikon DSLR (not a D810) years ago but it was a pain to remember to pack it, attach it, remember how to use it...

The only other D810-specific widget that I have is an RRS L-bracket. I also keep a spare battery, but you'll find that the Nikon battery life is superior to that of the Sony (a7R).

Joe

dwood

Thanks guys. Yup, I already have the RSS L-bracket, so good on that front. I also setup the AF-ON button thing too. Think I'll try a custom shooting menu as you suggest, Jack, and see how that works out.

Joe, extended battery life will be very welcome. The a7r, as you know, eats batteries for a living. And thanks for that link.

cerett

I had the wireless release and end of day never used it, has a lot of nifty features though ;). I kept the wired remote but never use it either. For tripod/landscape work, I set up a custom shooting menu that limits AF to the rear AF button, uses the 3 sec shutter delay which gives you mirror-up, a 3 second rest, then fires. Since doing this, I haven't used the remote once.

My favorite accessories for the D810 are the RRS L bracket, a pair of 64gig cards and a spare battery. Beyond that, I haven't needed anything else. I even have the optional vertical grip and never use it either :ROTFL:
Jack - Can you walk me through the steps of exactly how you program the 810 to do this. Thank you.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Menu>Custom Setting Menu> set up a new set. I use B and name it "Landscape." (FWIW, my A is named "STD" and contains my desired options for my standard hand-held shooting.)

* Under Autofocus, turn a2 to "release priority", a4 to "AF-ON only" which will then read as "OFF" in the AF Activation main menu.
* Under Shooting/Display, turn a4 to 3s.
* Any other settings per your personal preference.

Now to AF you must use the rear AF button, as the shutter release now only releases the shutter -- this is so your camera does not try to refocus after you've composed and focused on your primary target when you trigger. Once you press the shutter, the mirror will immediately go up and the shutter delay setting of 3 seconds kicks in, and then 3 seconds later -- after your camera has settled down all motion -- the shutter fires. Presto, no focus change and vibration-free captures.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

You sum up the nature of the D810 so well, Jack. For being such an advanced camera, it's really one that encourages simplicity. It works so well "au naturel" :)

Swissblad

Menu>Custom Setting Menu> set up a new set. I use B and name it "Landscape." (FWIW, my A is named "STD" and contains my desired options for my standard hand-held shooting.)

* Under Autofocus, turn a2 to "release priority", a4 to "OFF."

Now to AF you must use the rear AF button, as the shutter release now only releases the shutter -- this is so your camera does not try to refocus after you've composed and focused on your primary target when you trigger. Once you press the shutter, the mirror will immediately go up and the shutter delay setting of 3 seconds kicks in, and then 3 seconds later -- after your camera has settled down all motion -- the shutter fires. Presto, no focus change and vibration-free captures.
Thanks for sharing that Jack!

will try it out.

:thumbup:

cerett

* Under Autofocus, turn a2 to "release priority", a4 to "OFF."

Thanks Jack. Did the programming. Now have to try it out in the field.

JohnBrew

Jack, don't you feel the EFC works effectively enough to not worry about shake?
Anyway, I use the EFC, an RRS tripod and hang my heavy bag from the center hook. Even in the bad ol' days before EFC (that's a joke, son), I found mirror up and a remote release to work fine.

I realize there are some who test things to death and come up with "OMG! Haven't all of you realized this camera has serious shutter shake!"
When all along nobody had a clue because their images were just fine.

But thanks for the info. I'm headed to Moab next month and I will set up a custom menu as you suggest for the time when I lose my remote shutter release (which I always manage to do!)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Steen,

I used to use the rear only focus method as described in the article, both with older Canon bodies and Mamiya/Phase 645 bodies. However, with the D810, AF is so good -- and instant with AF-S lenses -- that I am totally confident with it acting rapidly in conjunction with the shutter button, so I am back to using shutter AF for my normal shooting mode.

However, one big advantage to rear AF for normal hand-held shooting remains, and that is when you do want to "lock" AF at a point well off center. Here, a half-press + AF-L button press is not as handy as rear-only AF and separate shutter release; especially if you've used the latter for some time as I have. As the article says, it is an easy method to get used to in a hurry. Regardless, on the D810 it is a trivial matter to set up a 3rd custom menu set for "Rear AF" :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
John,

The EFC is certainly effective. However the mirror is still big, so mirror pre-up is still the primary benefit. And the method above gets it up for 3 seconds prior to the shutter tripping enough to allow it's negative vibrations to settle. Result is vibration-free images, at least with the lenses I normally use in this fashion; and I have not noted any issues with the D810 main shutter. Perhaps with lighter tripods and longer lenses, front curtain shake would be more notable, and in which case implementing EFC would be beneficial.

To be clear, I am not saying the above method is superior to cable release and the two-press mirror-up/EFC-release, but I find it as good for my needs and a lot less hassle than screwing around with the remote cable. Obviously, it would be as easy to set up a custom user set for EFC with remote if that's how one prefers to shoot.

My .02 and respect others opinions may vary ;)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I generally use rear button and delay release for landscape, rear button and instant release for models and shutter focus and instant release for casual photography, wildlife, or action.
The tools to pick what works best for you under any circumstance are there so I use them.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I don't use EFC only because I have not tested it enough to be confident.
The old fashioned way certainly works and is not a hassle for me so that is what I do.
-bob