Site Sponsors

Thread: Weight of 85mm Otus

Post Thanks / Like

Weight of 85mm Otus

I am thinking about getting the 85mm Otus for my Nikon D810, but my concern is that the lens weighs more than the camera. Normally a heavy lens like this would have a means to mount on a tripod and hang the lighter body off the back of it. But the Otus does not offer this option.

Anyone have any problems with the weight of this lens on the D810?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weight of 85mm Otus

Every reviewer that has tried the lens talks about how heavy it is- really heavy! It may not bother some photographers too much, but I would strongly recommend trying it first. I think LensRentals will have one to rent soon.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spotmeter View Post
    I am thinking about getting the 85mm Otus for my Nikon D810, but my concern is that the lens weighs more than the camera. Normally a heavy lens like this would have a means to mount on a tripod and hang the lighter body off the back of it. But the Otus does not offer this option.

Anyone have any problems with the weight of this lens on the D810?
    So add a baseplate 15mm rods and lens support....

This really needs a monopod or tripod for best use and the above will work with that....

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

I had a look at one in a local store,I attached it to a D4 body and I didn't think it was that bad,about the same as the Canon 85mm 1.2L.. it balanced well and had an excellent focus ring.

In the image you can see how it compares to my S with 35CS lens,its about the same weight as the S35CS and the D800 body is lighter than the S,I wouldn't let the weight put me off,the IQ is stellar!

Rob