Site Sponsors

Thread: D800e vs D810 autofocus

Post Thanks / Like

D800e vs D810 autofocus

Can anyone who has owned both give me your personal opinion on the autofocus: is it much improved?

I currently use a 800E and while it doesn't what I ask, I tend to miss some shots at wide open apertures, when the AF grabs onto contrasty areas either in front of or behind of the object. So I've been reading about the alleged improvements to AF on the 810. Is it real?

(For those who tells me that it's my technique....It's not. I know how to shoot my Nikons).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: D800e vs D810 autofocus

I had a regular 800 not the E, but IMO the AF is a bit snappier and more accurate. The only AF lens I own which was used on both of these is an 85 1.4G.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

IMHO in regular single AF mode the 810 is a bit faster generally and locks better in low light, so it is better, but not an order of magnitude better here. However, in continuous tracking mode with moving subjects, the D810 is a pretty significant "order of magnitude" improvement.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Personally the A/F on the D810 has brought an all new level of confidence and enjoyment over the D800. A/F speed is faster in all modes, especially continuous tracking as Jack noted...However where the D810 really shines over the D800 is accuracy. There is no hit and miss with the D810. I found the D800 to be spotty with locking in and overall accuracy, especially with Sigmas 35 & 50 Art lens's, actually bordering on almost terrible. The D810's group A/F is amazing. I used it last football season and actually preferred it over the D3S's single point mode. Very accurate.
    I still hold true to my statement, The D810 is the best camera body I have ever used..The BEST!

Post Thanks / Like

WOW. that's a big statement aztwang. i think you just made up my mind

Post Thanks / Like

I own both an 800e and an 810 and find the 810's to be better. I shoot mainly single point AF but the 810 seems to pick up on low light a little better. I've only used the 810 on two shoots though so haven't really done in depth side by side comparisons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aztwang View Post
    Personally the A/F on the D810 has brought an all new level of confidence and enjoyment over the D800. A/F speed is faster in all modes, especially continuous tracking as Jack noted...However where the D810 really shines over the D800 is accuracy. There is no hit and miss with the D810. I found the D800 to be spotty with locking in and overall accuracy, especially with Sigmas 35 & 50 Art lens's, actually bordering on almost terrible. The D810's group A/F is amazing. I used it last football season and actually preferred it over the D3S's single point mode. Very accurate.
    I still hold true to my statement, The D810 is the best camera body I have ever used..The BEST!
    This was my feeling too when I compared my D800E to a D810. AF much snappier and better in low light. For me this is a no-brainer anyway that the D810 is overall a far better camera than the D800/D800E.

I now hope for a D820 to arrive sometimes soon

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    IMHO in regular single AF mode the 810 is a bit faster generally and locks better in low light, so it is better, but not an order of magnitude better here. However, in continuous tracking mode with moving subjects, the D810 is a pretty significant "order of magnitude" improvement.
    Thanks Jack. Which lenses did you use for tracking?
    I had some good success with the AF-S 80-400 on D800E.
    Nikon repaired the left autofocus problem successfully on my camera.
    The AF-S 80-400 requires a +1 micro autofocus adjustment.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

K-H --- the main lens I used with focus tracking was the 120-300/2.8 Sigma.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."