Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wide dilemma

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wide dilemma

one thing about the 21 that is the kind of lens where after purchase you feel like its "never sell " piece of glass.

maybe its the steel construction, the coatings are first rate and i have read technical discussions written by Zeiss optical engineers, where they really touched on the importance of the coatings -to properly correct to bring the lens close to being apo quality.

I guess the 135 is the only true "apo" but the other lens are close.

so in other words even tho its a landscape lens for the most part it still will do crazy accurate floral images which have "pop" kind of like the Nikon 200 F4 micro. (another fantastic lens)

one thing with the 21 is that many folks dont know how to use it.
    their images dont look right. the lens really wants to have a nice foreground in the composition.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Spot on, trioderob. So far, I've only taken a few test shots with the lens, and that was a week before I actually bought it. My main reason for buying it is for industrial photography, but when looking at the quality of the output, I see enormous potential for many creative applications. I'll be travelling more or less constantly for the next 4 weeks on three different continents. I can't wait to put this lens to good use

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had the 18, also great. But I sold it. It was manual focus and there are a lot of great AF options, and some of us (ME!) prefer AF when we can get it.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After I bought the D810, I have been using manual focus lenses almost exclusively, and actually get more images in focus than I used to with AF. That might say something about my lacking AF skills

The most important thing however, is that the Zeiss 21, or at least the copy that I have bought, is sharp across the frame, full of detail and with vivid, saturated colours at all apertures. That means one thing less to worry about, leaving me to concentrate on choosing an aperture that suits the motive and situation, frame the photo and click.

This is also one reason why I find very few zoom lenses satisfactory. Most of them vary in quality through the different focal lengths and apertures. The only exceptions I have tried have been the PanaLeica 14-50 f/2.8-3.5 and the Zuiko 14-35 f/2.0 (and to some extent the Nikkor 80-200 AF-S, but telephoto lenses are easier), both for 4/3 and both monstrous lenses when you think about the tiny format they are designed to work on. Like the Zeiss 21mm, they are also telecentric lenses, which still makes a lot of sense with digital cameras.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A late comment on the Nikkor 20/2.8D - it's a reasonably good lens, and on a tight budget a used one is not a bad choice. Focusing ring feel is crap though.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jørgen, well, what did I tell you, LOL. Congratulations with your new WA, I'm sure you will do great things with it. Just be aware of the curvature of field (at least on my copy) and you'll be all right. You've just got one of Zeiss's masterpieces, next will be the 135 Apo ...
    Just watch sample variations with that lens.
    Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Hvaring View Post
    Hi Jørgen, well, what did I tell you, LOL. Congratulations with your new WA, I'm sure you will do great things with it. Just be aware of the curvature of field (at least on my copy) and you'll be all right. You've just got one of Zeiss's masterpieces, next will be the 135 Apo ...
    Just watch sample variations with that lens.
    Cheers.
    I saw the field curvature while testing the lens, and it's something that I have to learn to deal with, but that comes with experience.

The 135mm is of course tempting, as are a couple of the other lenses. A 50mm is on top of the priority list right now, and I will try a couple of candidates during my visit to Scandinavia in a week or so

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    A late comment on the Nikkor 20/2.8D - it's a reasonably good lens, and on a tight budget a used one is not a bad choice. Focusing ring feel is crap though.
    There's a way to fix that focusing ring:
    The 20mm f/2.8 AiS is basically the same lens. It's a bit costly for what it is, but still a current lens with Nikon. It's probably a great alternative for those occasions when gear has to be limited and quality requirements are "good enough". I have been considering changing my 20mm f/3.5 AiS for that one or the Voigtlander as a compact backup, but as for now, I'll use the Zeiss only.

Post Thanks / Like

i love the 21

Post Thanks / Like

the 21 kind of has a glow to the colors - on my way home noticed the last of the California wildflowers - late in the year and they die off soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, this thread helped me finally spring for the Zeiss 21 (thanks to Jørgen for posting the original thread).

Had found a decent price on one at KEH and then discovered there is a $300 rebate on the lens at present that brings the price to ~$1540 new at B&H, Adorama, etc.

Figured I would post the head's up in case anyone else was interested.