The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Normal dilemma

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
With reference to the other thread I just started, the wide dilemma, I'm also looking for a 50mm'ish lens. Currently, I use a Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro, and while it's convenient to have a close focusing lens and a sharp one at that, I hate everything else about this Sigma, particularly the brutal contrast.

Again, I'm drawn towards manual focus, but will consider all options. Here are some of the most obvious:

Micro Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AiS
I've never tried this lens, but I know it has many followers, which I guess is one of the reasons why it's still a current lens from Nikon. Reasonably priced too, new or used.

Zeiss 50mm f/2.0 Macro
Again a lens to lust for. More expensive than the Nikkor. How much better is it?

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art
The obvious choice. A bit large for my taste, but not heavier than the Zeiss. I'm particularly interested in hearing how well it works with manual focusing.

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF-S
A lens that is so cheap that it's hard not to list it. I had the old AF D, and managed to get some decent results out of it, but it didn't make the greatest of emotions thunder through the room.

Others? Voigtlander? Zeiss 50mm f/1.4? Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AiS? Preferably not over $1,000.

Paratom

I am not Nikon and dont own the 50ART but I have the 35 ART which I think is an excellent lens. I compared it once to the Leica 35mm M FLE (unscientific, different cameras) and thought the lenses in greards of sharpness and bokeh have a lot in common.
50mm used at f1,4 is quite shallow DOF so the Option to use AF seems a big plus and I assume it is Kind of the best 50mm Money can buy These days.
I also had the 50/1.4G which is much smaller but the bokeh wide open isnt great.
If I had to choose I would go for the Sigma ART.
I agree the ART lenses are quite big, the 35 is allready big and the 50 even bigger.
Thats why I love the Leica M System so much ;)

robmac

CV 58mm is fantastic and BUTTERY mechanics The 50/1.8AFS is the single biggest (AF) bang for the buck - delivers WELL above its price.

My go-to AF ~50mm. Delivers on the D800e handily and one quick AF fine tune and done. Fast, dead-nuts reliable with zero issues.

D

Deleted member 7792

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art
The obvious choice. A bit large for my taste, but not heavier than the Zeiss. I'm particularly interested in hearing how well it works with manual focusing.
My choice is the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art. Well balanced with the D810, sharp, well built, well corrected, excellent price. In fact, I have a Zeiss 55mm Otus and prefer the Sigma. Just sayin'.

My vision requires AF, so I can't comment on how the Sigma works with manual focusing.

Joe

ptomsu

Workshop Member
With today's choices I would probably also go for the Sigma ART lens. Seems to be the best WRT IQ and overall performance, although a bit big and heavy.

rayyan

Nikon 50/1.8 G....biggest bang for the buck.

Zeiss Planar 50/1.4...My personal favorite. Other than MFD, a superb lens stopped down to f/2 onwards.

Zeiss Makro Planar 50/2...Use for anything. Super, no distortion to speak off. Close/Mid/Far. Excellent lens. But heavy for me, nowadays.

Nikkor 55/2.8..a versatile lens..used to be a reference lens once ( and can stand with the best even today ). Regret having sold it.

I use ( used ) them only on Nikon bodies.

For images with the Zeiss lenses check out Zeiss

Although the latest images have become contaminated with using these lenses ( ZF/ZE ) on non-DSLR bodies with adaptors...:eek:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
There are only two choices here IMHO... The manual Nikkor 50/1.2 or the ART. BOTH are exceptional, the Nikkor is lower contrast and a bit smoother tonally, but the Art is sharper and has as good bokeh wide open. The two lenses render so similarly, that it didn't make sense to own both, and since I prefer AF and the Art is sharper, it's the one I kept.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This might end up as a choice between manual and auto focus. Sigma seems to be the obvious choice for AF, while for MF, it would be the Nikkor AiS 1.2 and/or the Zeiss 2.0 Macro. I need to think... and count.

archivue

i went with the sigma art, really good lens with AF if needed, nice booked wide open if needed, really sharp... and compare to medium format lenses, a real bargain !
I wish Sigma would make lenses for Mamiya DF...

segedi

CV 58mm is fantastic and BUTTERY mechanics The 50/1.8AFS is the single biggest (AF) bang for the buck - delivers WELL above its price.

My go-to AF ~50mm. Delivers on the D800e handily and one quick AF fine tune and done. Fast, dead-nuts reliable with zero issues.
And you can get both for less than Art!
I went with 50/1.8 AF-S G. Very happy.

Godfrey

This might end up as a choice between manual and auto focus. Sigma seems to be the obvious choice for AF, while for MF, it would be the Nikkor AiS 1.2 and/or the Zeiss 2.0 Macro. I need to think... and count.
I have the Nikkor 50/1.2 AI-S. Love it.

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

I'd forgotten about the Voigtlander. A very interesting alternative.