The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon travel the world kit

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
IMPORTANT!

I just realized I can also squeeze my Sony A7r with Holga mounted into the bag too -- using a short divider under the wide part of the D810 body next to the lens -- so I need to add to my main gear list!

:ROTFL:

jsf

I am leaving in a few months for Scotland. I use a LowePro 302AW. Nikon d800e plus four lenses. The 17-35, a MF 55 micro f/2.8 it is a perfect normal for me. A 135 DC for some soft focus landscapes or really pretty Bokeh and the new 300mm PF lightweight prime. It is about 8 pounds of camera gear, I also bring a SB-400 flash and a 4 lb Induro tripod. The LowePro is comfortable and easy to walk around with, I use a FastFire sling for the camera.

segedi

Awesome, thanks for posting the photos. Love the J803 and mine is the black ballistic which you appear to have too. I think my inserts are holding me back. Though I can still fit quite a bit of M gear, the DSLR setups are tight.

In regards to your macro need, why not get some tubes? I can turn my 50 or 85 into a macro easily when needed and only travel with the shortest tube.

gurtch

Jack wrote:
"4 lenses and body will cram into my Domke J803 for the plane ride -- I have modified a Domke 4-lens insert for it -- and is a perfect working bag since the camera and one lens is always out. In the pockets I have extra battery and cards of course, lens cloth and small body brush, travel guidebook and local map fits in the rear slide pocket -- and that's about all I need for a day around any village."

Jack, how did you modify the Domke dividers? I have several Domkes, and find the dividers are too small and not adjustable. My lens are FAT, e.g. the 24~70 f2.8 Tamron VC, the Zeiss 18mm, Nikon 105 f2.8 Macro, etc. The lenses simply do not fit, making the bags almost useless.
Thanks
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Dave, it is a 2-lens insert for the Nikon. Was 4-lens for the small cam systems. Bad esplainin on my part ;)

JohnBrew

This is a fun thread. For world travel, I wouldn't dare deal with the bulk of my Nikon and Zeiss lenses. In the past it was an M8.2 w/24,50 & 75. All that will change for this year is replacing the older Leica (still a great street shooter) with my M-P.

markhout

If I'd have the money, I'd go with JohnBrew's kit. But for 50 outstanding images I will only take my Ricoh GR. If I splurge, I might add the Sony RX1R.

I would contemplate to just bring my D800E, Sigma 35 and small Nikon 85mm 1.8 plus tripod; all my other Nikon stuff is too heavy to haul around the world for 3 months.

With the GR / RX1R vs the Nikon set I would give up IQ (a lot D800E vs. the GR, not much D80E vs. the RX1R) and most telephoto opportunities, but I would gain tremendously on small size and cloak, which helps my style.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Daysleeper, that's a nice photo of some good gear. I'm considering the 85mm f/2 as a part of my kit. What's your thought about it at large apertures?

viablex1

So Guy started a travel the world with Sony kit thread and I thought it was a great idea, so I'm copying it here. Here is what Guy posted over in Sony:

So for me, here is my choice. Keep in mind I do own and use a Sony A7r body for specific purposes:

Nikon D810 hands down over my A7r -- it just fits my hands like a glove, the controls are right where I know they should be, and the images flow directly through the outstanding viewfinder to my brain. Not to mention incredible AF, metering, great higher ISO when needed, 2-card storage capability and outstanding battery life.

Lenses are a bit tougher. When I travel, I usually limit myself to 3, but for a world-class trip, I may bump to 4. They would be first and foremost, the 50 ART and my Nikon 28 ASPH AF-D. And in all honesty, I could prolly just quit right here, but wouldn't for a world-class trip. Next would prolly be my Nikon 17-35/2.8 zoom simply for the wide end and versatility. Final would be a Nikon 70-200/4 to cover all longer focals and versatility -- I don't own it yet, but will before my next world-class excursion ( :ROTFL: ). Note that I'm not opposed to leaving the long zoom in my hotel room when I know I won't be using them and plan on moving light and fast.

4 lenses and body will cram into my Domke J803 for the plane ride -- I have modified a Domke 4-lens insert for it -- and is a perfect working bag since the camera and one lens is always out. In the pockets I have extra battery and cards of course, lens cloth and small body brush, travel guidebook and local map fits in the rear slide pocket -- and that's about all I need for a day around any village.

A note on the yet to be released Sigma ART 24. If it is as good as the 50 and 35, I will own one. However, while 24 is a focal I use a *lot* for landscape, I don't use it often while traveling, finding it either a tad too wide or a tad too long, hence my gut tells me I'd be happier with the extra width and versatility of the 17-35 zoom.
very interesting, as far as the domke from the pictures it does not seem to advertise,hey I have camera stuff in here, is that your personal experience with this bag?

I mean it does look like a Jack Bauer "Murse" but that is another story. lol

segedi

...it does not seem to advertise, hey I have camera stuff in here, is that your personal experience with this bag?
That's been my experience. I take it to work with me everyday. One day the wife had moved it and I asked her and the kids if they had seen my camera bag. No, they replied, but your work bag is in the living room!

viablex1

cool thanks, I hate never take a backpack like thinktank or tamarac etc, to me that is just begging thieves to steal it. I use a regular backpak with all the smaller camera bags but that can be a pain.

My travel of course I am not selling anything is the new tamron 28-300, the nikon17-35 f2.8 and the sigma art 35mm , sometimes I take the 55mm micro just in case like in california whan I wanted to shoot a bananna slug, The camera is the Df

seakayaker

I would follow JohnBrew lead above and go with the Leica M-P with the 24/3.8; 50/1.5; & 75/2 along with a few memory cards, spare batteries and a couple of lens cloths.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
very interesting, as far as the domke from the pictures it does not seem to advertise,hey I have camera stuff in here, is that your personal experience with this bag?

I mean it does look like a Jack Bauer "Murse" but that is another story. lol
It's why I like that bag -- when traveling or just walking the street, it looks like a typical man-satchel. Though the plain black is kind of boring, the fabric wears like steel...

bensonga

I'm not going around the world, but I do have a real world, short trip dilemma.

I'm going to Death Valley National Park on Friday for a week of hiking and shooting. I will be taking my three Sigma DP Merrills for sure. My dilemma is: Sony A7 kit or Nikon D800e kit. If I take the Sony kit, it's pretty easy...the A7 plus three FE lenses (16-35, 55 and 70-200). If I take the Nikon kit it I'm torn. For sure the D800e and the 24-120/4 VR (it may not be a great lens, but I think it's a good lens). Maybe add the 20/1.8G and the 70-200/4 VR (which I picked up today).

Which bag? My F-stop Loka UL should hold the entire kit. I might pack the TT Mirrorless Mover 30i too (my Sigma DP Merrills live in that bag).

Tripod? Either my Gitzo 3530S with RRS BH-55 and Acratech leveling base or the Induro CT-313 with FLM CB58 FT.

I love a DSLR with optical viewfinder and that is the main reason I am currently leaning towards the D800. Problem is, I hate leaving so many good lenses at home....the Sigma 35 and 50 Art, Micro-Nikkor 105 VR, etc. Aaargh!

Gary