Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nikon travel the world kit

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nikon travel the world kit

Quote Originally Posted by daysleeper View Post
    I'm not sure that my thoughts are significant. A lens expert told me that when these lenses from the film days are shot wide open, a purple fringe will appear on the captured image, due to the different coatings used. I haven't noticed this. What I have noticed is that the lens takes good pictures, although I'm not up to speed on computer processing yet.
    Lens experts say many things. They are mostly correct, but often irrelevant. Thank you for your feedback. I might give it a shot

Post Thanks / Like

Not travelling around the world but next month to California, Arizona etc. I think I take the H5D50 with the 35-90mm, the 100mm and maybe the 1.7 Converter for the "slow work". For walking around I let the D4 at home and bought a new D-750 and take the 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 and a 50mm with me. Maybe to much but... Now I have to look for a small tripod for all. Maybe a Siriu. Any advice? Thanks, rem
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed everyone left the Nikon 24-70 out of the bag.
    Last one I had seemed OK on a D3X. Not stunning, but a usable range.

Post Thanks / Like

Compact and light weight would be my requirement and the Df with 40/2 Voigtländer mounted, the 28/2.8 ais and either the 105/2.5 ais or 85/1.8D would be in the bag. If a 24/1.8 G was released it would replace the 28 ais.

Post Thanks / Like

i want to travel the whole over the world with my friend i have my camera Nikon D7500 this is good for travel the world?or any suggestion for another camera..

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For the body, anyone that can bench lift 250lb and run a marathon a day. Then that person can carry any bag, regardless of the size. Just fill it up with all the gear you want and let the porter deal with it.

Oh, not that kind of body...

Seriously, (although I am not sure I was joking) a D850 and a 45mm T/S lens and a compact RRS carbon fiber tripod. The lens is a great focal length for me and I love both the ability to tilt for effects and to shift for making panos. A Zero Point snow board carry back pack. It is slim and comfortable for that weight.
    Last edited by Shashin; 5th July 2019 at 14:54.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am glad this thread got revived

For me, the body is still the D810 -- I have not succumbed to the extra pixels (and cost) of the D850, nor the smaller size of the Z7*, but it is certainly an interesting option now.

My lenses have changed to lighter-weight versions, so the ARTs are all gone; now it would be the 50/1.4G, 28ASPH and 20/1.8G. I finally did get the 70-200/4, and used it for one trip --- it is a great lens optically, and reasonably compact, so it was a good choice. But in my case I used only about 3 times at the middle focals around 150. So I might now add a Sigma 150 macro instead (smaller/lighter than the 180, but reputation is not as good, so need to check one out).

*With the Z7, lenses get interesting. I'd for sure get it with the 50/1.8Z. But from there at this time, I'd need the adapter for the above lenses. (And dedicated lens limitations is frankly one of the reasons I've avoided even trying out the Z body.)
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joebuttler View Post
    i want to travel the whole over the world with my friend i have my camera Nikon D7500 this is good for travel the world?or any suggestion for another camera..
    The D7500 is great for travel, lightweight and with a good sensor. The question is the lenses, and that's partly a matter of taste. I never travel without a telephoto lens, and the latest versions of Nikon's 70-300mm lenses get good reviews. The DX version is the AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR, but there's an FX version available too if you want to prepare for upgrade to full frame later. For mid- range, the 16-80mm f/2.8-4 is a good choice. For wide-angle, I would choose the cheap, lightweight AF-P DX NIKKOR 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR. Very good value.

Then I would bring a couple of primes, probably a 35mm f/1.8 and a 85mm f/1.8, or just a single 50mm f/1.8. I would clearly buy Nikon lenses. They are good, relatively compact and lightweight too.

Since this is for travel, I wouldn't bother upgrading to full frame. A used D750 would be great, but the lenses, at least some of them, would be larger and more expensive. The sensor of the D7500 (same sensor as in the D500) is in any case so good that it competes way above its class.

Post Thanks / Like

Z7, 24-70 f4 S, 50 1.8/S & 70-200 f4 with the FTZ Adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

After testing the Z7 with the S 2.8/24-70 this would be my travel kit - still very light and compact and so much better in use than the 4/24-70.

I would add the 14-30 zoom to it and call it a day.

Peter
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like

My long haul touring kit used to be a D8XX (currently the 850) with a 24-120 f4, but since I got the much lighter Z6 last November I would go with that and the 24-70S f4, plus my recently-acquired 14-30S f4 if it's a trip where I'm likely to want to do interiors.
    John L Dobson
    Editor, Ffestiniog Railway Magazine

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlancasterd View Post
    My long haul touring kit used to be a D8XX (currently the 850) with a 24-120 f4, but since I got the much lighter Z6 last November I would go with that and the 24-70S f4, plus my recently-acquired 14-30S f4 if it's a trip where I'm likely to want to do interiors.
    Arguably my worst lens, the 24-120 is just so darn versatile, I keep it -- it's also now my only zoom... I *might* just go with my D810 and that, and then add in the Samyang 14 or Nikkor 20G for interiors...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

For me either the Z7 (which I own) or Z6 given its a bit faster. Lenses, 24-70 F4, 14-30, 35 1.8, and FTZ with the 70-200 F4. RRS lightweight CF tripod, with BH-40 bullhead. Packs, well I've never found the perfect pack but its not for lack of trying. By now I've owned and used a couple of dozen of the damn things and never felt I had a soul mate with any of them.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=routlaw;792851 Packs, well I've never found the perfect pack but its not for lack of trying. By now I've owned and used a couple of dozen of the damn things and never felt I had a soul mate with any of them.[/QUOTE]

Ain’t it the truth.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Just been back from a trip...not across the world but 5 different but similar countries...along the old Silk Road.

Uzbekistan
    Tajikistan
    Turkmenistan
    Krygistan
    Kazakhstan

A Nikon Df, The 50/1.8g plus the 85/1.8g.
    2 batteries plus charger.
    6 x 32 GB SD cards.
    Artisan sling bag.

iPhone.

Was it good? Faultless.
    Could it have been better? Maybe.

Good enough for me.

I shall be posting images later, after I give them an initial sorting.
    koffee & kamera
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Without doubt it's for me now the Z7, 14-30S, 24-70/4S, Leica Tele-Elmar-M 135/4. I'm also waiting to receive a 300PF from B&H I suspect will end up in there. And if I carry the FTZ I might also toss the 16mm Fisheye in checked luggage to have on hand. Still looking for a decent XQD card wallet... that thing is a bit big for just two spare cards since half of it is taken up by 3 SDs. Maybe add an SB-400 with a salmon gel if I want a little midday fill.

Packed up to go. Normally the body plus lens will be in my hand on in the top compartment for easy access, but I might stow it in the bottom for carry-on. The tripod usually goes in checked luggage and doesn't go everywhere with me, unless I plan to use it. That Kata DR466i and Velbon Carmagne 530 tripod has already been around the world with me many times, with Mamiya 7, Leica M, and Nikon DSLRs.

Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Z7 went along to Italy with 14-30/4S, 24-70/4S and FX70-200/4.
    But I regret (while travelling by car) that I didn't bring the 35/1.8S and the 50/1.8S, while I'm in a mood for the time being, for like returning to sort of "simple doing",
    where the primes can almost be a relief (by just bringing one at a time) and a sort of healthy limitation, that perhaps some times let you shift from availability to grabbing out from a fewer possibilities, and that perhaps are more likely to set the mind free, and push creativity further (..?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree Thorkil. I have travelled with primes and zooms, and in the end, I probably lean toward a zoom simply for versatility. Then realistically, a good 24/28/35-70/85/120 plus a single super-wide prime cover pretty much all my needs
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I agree Thorkil. I have travelled with primes and zooms, and in the end, I probably lean toward a zoom simply for versatility. Then realistically, a good 24/28/35-70/85/120 plus a single super-wide prime cover pretty much all my needs
    In the real world, you are right. The Tamron 35-150mm f/2.8-4 and the Nikkor 20mm f/1.8 would turn my D800 into an acceptably lightweight travel kit. The question is what to do with all that other "stuff" that I own

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been a lover of zoom lenses, even the fairly compact Nikon Z zooms are just too big for my liking. And it's not primarily because I don't want to carry them, they are just so indiscrete and frighten the natives.

I'm slowly building a small Nikon Z system. My needs are modest and the system will be built around fast, compact and lightweight native primes.

So far I have two Nikon Z7 bodies, the Z 50 f/1.8 S and Z 35 f/1.8 S lenses. I will be getting the Z 85 f/1.8 lens when released. I'm in two minds over my wide lens choice, but despite my dislike of zooms I will probably opt for the very compact and lightweight Z 14-30 f/4 S for the flexibility it offers: I have no need for a fast wide.

What I take with me when travelling is largely dependent on the destination and project, usually three lens and two bodies. What I take with me once at the destination usually consists of one camera with attached lens in-hand and one camera with attached lens in a small bag.

The choice of which lenses to take when I'm wandering again depends on what I'm expecting to shoot. As an example, on the open ghats of Varanasi I would typically choose a short telephoto for portraits, changing to a 35 lens for the narrow and busy lanes. In Greece I'd typically choose a 35 or 50 as the in-hand walk around camera and a wide on the second body in the bag for ruined interiors - returning to the car to collect the tripod.

Really, it's all needs based.
    http://www.keithlaban.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A sidebar note on travel the world lens choices. As I look at images from superwides in that 14-15 range --zoom or prime-- that contain people, it becomes apparent very quickly how much an ultrawide rectilinear lens distorts the human head, or any other spherical object for that matter. What I find interesting, is a similar focal fisheye does NOT do that, and leaves a human head looking like a human head... This is giving me pause as to which I should carry -- much easier to "correct" a fisheye to rectilinear than it is to morph a rectilinear into a fisheye... Of course the other option is stitching with my do-all zoom at one of its wider settings...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

A sidebar note on travel the world lens choices. As I look at images from superwides in that 14-15 range --zoom or prime-- that contain people, it becomes apparent very quickly how much an ultrawide rectilinear lens distorts the human head, or any other spherical object for that matter. What I find interesting, is a similar focal fisheye does NOT do that, and leaves a human head looking like a human head... This is giving me pause as to which I should carry -- much easier to "correct" a fisheye to rectilinear than it is to morph a rectilinear into a fisheye... Of course the other option is stitching with my do-all zoom at one of its wider settings...
    Personally I'd avoid using super-wides for images that contain people and instead look for other possibilities using longer lenses within those situations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting that you mention this. I carry both, and prefer the fisheye for subjects like large groups of people. I've spent too much time with the PS Warp tool trying to get human heads back to normal in images taken with a rectilinear ultra WA lens.

I currently use the very complex (17 elements in 15 groups) Zuiko 8mm f/1.8 for MFT for this, but it would be interesting to try out the newish Nikkor 8-15mm fisheye zoom.

It doesn't always work well though. If faces appear too close to the corners, they will still be distorted, as can be seen in this photo (the woman at the bottom left corner):

But for large groups it works amazingly well. This one has had no post processing other than cropping top and bottom (horizon centered when taking the photo):

Many fishey lenses also focus very closely, making them perfect for dramatic macro effects.