The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon travel the world kit

Swissblad

Which bag? My F-stop Loka UL should hold the entire kit.

Gary
Great to see another Loka UL user - terrific backpack for carrying your gear in mountainous terrain.

Have fun on your trip - when you've finally decided which gear to take..... ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Gary,

For whatever it's worth, the wildflowers in DV and surrounding Mojave, will be at or near peak bloom. It is not a stellar year, but still pretty decent. Sweeping wides from down low, some relatively closer stuff for cacti blooms and probably limited needs for much tele. If you have time, try to get to wherever you're headed via the town of Lancaster, CA and the: Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve SNR

Look forward to seeing the images!

Cheers,

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Sort trips, meaning a business trip that might have some photo opportunity (but often does not) then it is just the Df with the 50 1.8 kit lens. Occasionally I augment that with the 17-35 f/2.8

Longer trips with real photo opportunities:
Switch the D810 for the Df
Switch the 58mm 1.4 for the 50 1.8 or switch for the 24-120
add the 70-200 f/4
add the Sigma 35 art
add a tripod size determined by travel mode
-bob

bensonga

Thanks for the tip re the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve Jack. I didn't know about that place and no one in our group is from California, so I'm guessing they probably don't know about it either. We will be spending 5-6 days in Death Valley with a friend who knows the park very well (he's been there 1-2 times every year for the past 25+ years). I've been there 3 times myself, but the last time was about 10 years ago. Then we will have about 3 days to venture to parts unknown. I've always wanted to see Joshua Tree National Park too. So many places to visit in that part of the country.

I've decided to take my D800e (instead of the Sony A7) and most likely the 20/1.8G, 24-120/4 VR and 70-200/4 VR lenses. With your note in mind, I'm also tempted to take either my 105mm Micro-Nikkor VR or Zeiss 100 Makro-Planar too.

Gary

Gary,

For whatever it's worth, the wildflowers in DV and surrounding Mojave, will be at or near peak bloom. It is not a stellar year, but still pretty decent. Sweeping wides from down low, some relatively closer stuff for cacti blooms and probably limited needs for much tele. If you have time, try to get to wherever you're headed via the town of Lancaster, CA and the: Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve SNR

Look forward to seeing the images!

Cheers,

I'm considering the 85mm f/2 as a part of my kit. What's your thought about it at large apertures?
I'm not sure that my thoughts are significant. A lens expert told me that when these lenses from the film days are shot wide open, a purple fringe will appear on the captured image, due to the different coatings used. I haven't noticed this. What I have noticed is that the lens takes good pictures, although I'm not up to speed on computer processing yet.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Gary:

Be advised you *may* need a reservation to even get into the CA Poppy Preserve, so call/email from the link to find out/arrange as needed.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

(...) Say you won a contest to travel the world all expenses paid for 3 months. (...)

For such a long travel (three months :eek:) I'd probably keep it simple.
I'd use my more than ten years old Lowepro Toploader bag with my full-frame D610 camera (850 gram) and AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 G (350 gram) mounted.
Plus AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8 G (330 gram) in the bag as well.
Instead of a tripod I'd probably (depending on travel conditions) just use my sweatshirt or jacket as sort of a bean bag.
That's actually all I need.

©lick for actual pixels

© • captured with Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm ZF • 1/13 sec. at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX-D

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

In the toploader bag there's easily room for yet another lens (or even two depending on focal length and speed).
E.g. an AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G (280 gram) if needed.
(All lenses protected by protect filters for such a three months journey).

©lick for actual pixels

© • captured with Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm ZF • 1/13 sec. at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX-D

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

(...) Rules are you need at least 1 body, 1 lens and 1 bag, that's the minimum. Oh and 1 tripod. (...)

According to the rules a tripod is mandatory, so here I have added a tiny Slik Sprint SL travel tripod.
It's far from rock solid, but used with a combination of Self-timer and Exposure delay it works all right.

©lick for actual pixels

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm not sure that my thoughts are significant. A lens expert told me that when these lenses from the film days are shot wide open, a purple fringe will appear on the captured image, due to the different coatings used. I haven't noticed this. What I have noticed is that the lens takes good pictures, although I'm not up to speed on computer processing yet.
Lens experts say many things. They are mostly correct, but often irrelevant. Thank you for your feedback. I might give it a shot :)

rem

Not travelling around the world but next month to California, Arizona etc. I think I take the H5D50 with the 35-90mm, the 100mm and maybe the 1.7 Converter for the "slow work". For walking around I let the D4 at home and bought a new D-750 and take the 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 and a 50mm with me. Maybe to much but... Now I have to look for a small tripod for all. Maybe a Siriu. Any advice? Thanks, rem

Harry

I noticed everyone left the Nikon 24-70 out of the bag.
Last one I had seemed OK on a D3X. Not stunning, but a usable range.

retow

Compact and light weight would be my requirement and the Df with 40/2 Voigtländer mounted, the 28/2.8 ais and either the 105/2.5 ais or 85/1.8D would be in the bag. If a 24/1.8 G was released it would replace the 28 ais.

Joebuttler

i want to travel the whole over the world with my friend i have my camera Nikon D7500 this is good for travel the world?or any suggestion for another camera..

Shashin

For the body, anyone that can bench lift 250lb and run a marathon a day. Then that person can carry any bag, regardless of the size. Just fill it up with all the gear you want and let the porter deal with it.

Oh, not that kind of body...

Seriously, (although I am not sure I was joking) a D850 and a 45mm T/S lens and a compact RRS carbon fiber tripod. The lens is a great focal length for me and I love both the ability to tilt for effects and to shift for making panos. A Zero Point snow board carry back pack. It is slim and comfortable for that weight.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am glad this thread got revived :)

For me, the body is still the D810 -- I have not succumbed to the extra pixels (and cost) of the D850, nor the smaller size of the Z7*, but it is certainly an interesting option now.

My lenses have changed to lighter-weight versions, so the ARTs are all gone; now it would be the 50/1.4G, 28ASPH and 20/1.8G. I finally did get the 70-200/4, and used it for one trip --- it is a great lens optically, and reasonably compact, so it was a good choice. But in my case I used only about 3 times at the middle focals around 150. So I might now add a Sigma 150 macro instead (smaller/lighter than the 180, but reputation is not as good, so need to check one out).

*With the Z7, lenses get interesting. I'd for sure get it with the 50/1.8Z. But from there at this time, I'd need the adapter for the above lenses. (And dedicated lens limitations is frankly one of the reasons I've avoided even trying out the Z body.)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
i want to travel the whole over the world with my friend i have my camera Nikon D7500 this is good for travel the world?or any suggestion for another camera..
The D7500 is great for travel, lightweight and with a good sensor. The question is the lenses, and that's partly a matter of taste. I never travel without a telephoto lens, and the latest versions of Nikon's 70-300mm lenses get good reviews. The DX version is the AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR, but there's an FX version available too if you want to prepare for upgrade to full frame later. For mid- range, the 16-80mm f/2.8-4 is a good choice. For wide-angle, I would choose the cheap, lightweight AF-P DX NIKKOR 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR. Very good value.

Then I would bring a couple of primes, probably a 35mm f/1.8 and a 85mm f/1.8, or just a single 50mm f/1.8. I would clearly buy Nikon lenses. They are good, relatively compact and lightweight too.

Since this is for travel, I wouldn't bother upgrading to full frame. A used D750 would be great, but the lenses, at least some of them, would be larger and more expensive. The sensor of the D7500 (same sensor as in the D500) is in any case so good that it competes way above its class.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
After testing the Z7 with the S 2.8/24-70 this would be my travel kit - still very light and compact and so much better in use than the 4/24-70.

I would add the 14-30 zoom to it and call it a day.

Peter