Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nikon travel the world kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon travel the world kit

So Guy started a travel the world with Sony kit thread and I thought it was a great idea, so I'm copying it here. Here is what Guy posted over in Sony:

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Let's have some fun. Say you won a contest to travel the world all expenses paid for 3 months. The only catch is you come home with 50 outstanding travel images, so what kit would you take. Rules are you need at least 1 body, 1 lens and 1 bag, that's the minimum. Oh and 1 tripod. So pick all 4 general items plus plus. What tripod , what bag , what lenses and what cameras.

What's the best in your mind. Remember this is for fun
    So for me, here is my choice. Keep in mind I do own and use a Sony A7r body for specific purposes:

Nikon D810 hands down over my A7r -- it just fits my hands like a glove, the controls are right where I know they should be, and the images flow directly through the outstanding viewfinder to my brain. Not to mention incredible AF, metering, great higher ISO when needed, 2-card storage capability and outstanding battery life.

Lenses are a bit tougher. When I travel, I usually limit myself to 3, but for a world-class trip, I may bump to 4. They would be first and foremost, the 50 ART and my Nikon 28 ASPH AF-D. And in all honesty, I could prolly just quit right here, but wouldn't for a world-class trip. Next would prolly be my Nikon 17-35/2.8 zoom simply for the wide end and versatility. Final would be a Nikon 70-200/4 to cover all longer focals and versatility -- I don't own it yet, but will before my next world-class excursion ( ). Note that I'm not opposed to leaving the long zoom in my hotel room when I know I won't be using them and plan on moving light and fast.

4 lenses and body will cram into my Domke J803 for the plane ride -- I have modified a Domke 4-lens insert for it -- and is a perfect working bag since the camera and one lens is always out. In the pockets I have extra battery and cards of course, lens cloth and small body brush, travel guidebook and local map fits in the rear slide pocket -- and that's about all I need for a day around any village.

A note on the yet to be released Sigma ART 24. If it is as good as the 50 and 35, I will own one. However, while 24 is a focal I use a *lot* for landscape, I don't use it often while traveling, finding it either a tad too wide or a tad too long, hence my gut tells me I'd be happier with the extra width and versatility of the 17-35 zoom.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nikon travel the world kit

Nice thread Jack.

There are 193 countries in the U.N. ( at the last count ). I have not been to all,
    but to many..very many of those.

I have never traveled with more than 2 lenses ( on a Nikon body ) on any one occasion

Nikon 17-35 and the Nikon 85/1.4

Nikon and/or Zeiss 50mm with the Zeiss 100mm

Just a Nikon or Zeiss 50mm/1.4.

Any Nikon DSLR body would do for me ( as the F3 and F100 did ages ago ).

p.s. I have circled the world E-W and W-E; with my Nikon and the lens combos above.
    koffee & kamera
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is my Cambo WRS-AE, with the IQ260. The lenses: HR 40, HR 70, SK 120.

Tripod is my trusted Gitzo GT3541L, with my Arca Cube.

The bag is the Domke J2, with wraps on the lenses, and the back. I have the small carry bag for the Cambo WRS body as well.
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams

Post Thanks / Like

Whoops. Just realized that this is a Nikon forum.
    Bryan

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    So Guy started a travel the world with Sony kit thread and I thought it was a great idea, so I'm copying it here. ...
    This thread could be run in every brand forum.. :-)

When I carried Nikon gear, back in the film era, my typical travel kit was an FM2n or FE2, MD-12, and lenses 20, 35 or 50, and 85 mm. At some point, I changed the longer prime for a 70-200 zoom, or something like that, but I used it only infrequently.

Nowadays, I'm more likely to stick with something smaller and lighter than a DSLR.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't own a Nikon but if I did the trip with a Nikon it would be with that Black & Gold Df or a D810. I'd go with a Nikon 20/1.8 and 58/1.4 or the Sigma Art 24/35/50. I'd use a Nikon 70-200/4 for the long end.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I actually don't care which camera you want to put out for the job here, it can be anything -- as Bryan, who knows me pretty well, figured out
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

If I still had my Nikon D810, my kit would look pretty similar to Jack's
    Bryan

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually don't care which camera you want to put out for the job here, it can be anything -- as Bryan, who knows me pretty well, figured out
    Okay, well, going back to Guy's note:

Say you won a contest to travel the world all expenses paid for 3 months. The only catch is you come home with 50 outstanding travel images, so what kit would you take. Rules are you need at least 1 body, 1 lens and 1 bag, that's the minimum. Oh and 1 tripod. So pick all 4 general items plus plus. What tripod , what bag , what lenses and what cameras.
    1- I could go with the Leica X and its lovely Summilux 23mm f/1.7 ASPH lens in a very small bag like the Tenba DNA 8 with my Sirui T-025X travel tripod.

2- Carry the Leica M-P with 21, 35, 50, and 90 lenses in the A&A ACAM 1000 with Manfrotto 190CXpro3 legs and A-S Monoball P0 head.

3- Schlep the Olympus E-M1 with 14, 25, 45, and 75 lenses, toss in the 40-150 for a giggle (it weighs nothing), and use the same tripod and bag as above.

4- Eschew digital, carry the Hasselblad SWC, groundglass back and magnifying finder, same tripod as above, Lowepro Passport bag, Sekonic meter, and thirty rolls of 120 film, two A12 backs. It's a bit to carry, but

5- Moving even farther afield from modern sanity, stuff the Polaroid System Bag with the Polaroid SLR570m and Minolta Instant Pro, same tripod as above, and thirty packs of film... The thirty packs of film would be the problem as they take up a lot of space and weigh a bit.

I suspect I could make it back with 50 excellent photos using any of these kits after three months of shooting... :-) But in truth, I'm more likely to go for light weight and digital capture: kits 1, 2 or 3 (even cut down to two lenses on 2 and 3) can do a seriously great job of nearly anything I'm likely to shoot.

G

Post Thanks / Like

I miss both my Hasselblad SWC and my 503CW with my 40mm lens. Both were excellent cameras and I have many a great capture with them.
    Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

I'll play the Nikon game. I don't own any but here what I'd go with.

Nikon Coolpix A goes in pocket. There is APS-C 28mm.
    A D610 and a 20mm with either a 50mm or maybe a 85mm. Probably the 50mm. A lightweight Feisol tripod and a Think Tank bag.
    I'd check the shutter for oil first though!

All in all it would be relatively light.
    Print size from 24Mpixel would still be good.

Leave laptops and tablets home.

Done.

Is anyone going to start a "Fuji travel the world kit"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post

Is anyone going to start a "Fuji travel the world kit"
    Be my guest!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

My pre-digital era travel kit used to be a FM3a, a small compact 35-105mm AF zoom (which worked very well MF) and a 24mm f2.8.
    A 2nd FM2 body was loaded with FP4 …..

These days I tend to take the Fuji XT-1 or X-100 - lighter and less obtrusive.

Post Thanks / Like

Jack,
    Please post a photo of that bag! I have one and can't see how all that gear will cram in there. Did you modify the insert with voodoo?

My travel kit:
    D750
    Voigtlander 28mm
    Nikon 85mm f/1.8
    And to cover 50mm, Leica M and Summilux

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here we go. This will be longish, and I'll present three setups and one bag. The bag first:

The bag is a Lowepro Inverse 200 AW, bought by coincidence many years ago. The price is slightly more than $50 at the moment, so it's very cheap. I have no idea on how many journeys mine has been travelling, but we are talking about 100+, on planes, buses, trains, boats, motorbikes, tractors etc. It's also been with me at well over 100 car races and other sports events and countless other occasions. It's pretty much been with me anywhere, every day the last few years, and it's been rolling down staircases, fallen off vehicles, been used as pillow etc.

For functionality, it features:
    - Can be used as a shoulder bag, belt pack or handbag.
    - Rooms one camera body and up to five lenses (one on the body) or two bodies and three lenses. Small lenses can be stacked, making room for more.
    - Can take a 70-200mm f/4 or consumer grade 70-300mm standing.
    - It has a flat top, which doubles as a desk when worn as a belt pack. Great when filling in immigration forms etc.
    - Is compact enough to be carried inside a larger carry-on bag for air travel, leaving enough spare room for a weekend's worth of clothing.
    - Has two external bottle holders and outside pocket for batteries etc. (I mostly carry my spare battery inside the bag though.
    - Holders for two memory cards inside the lid (I travel with two cards in the camera and two spares in those pockets).
    - Straps for a small tripod or Gorillapod underneath.

2. What I carry in the bag at the moment.

The D810 is a given. When I go places that I may not be able to come back to, I bring the best camera available. That's the D810. Somebody else on this forum told me that, and that was part of my reason for leaving m4/3 behind and go all Nikon.

I currently carry Nikkor 20mm f/3.5 AiS (not good enough), Nikkor 28mm f/2.0 AiS (very good), Sigma 50mm f/2.8 Macro (too contrasty) and the Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 (very good). I also carry a Tamron 1.4x TC for the 105mm.

This setup works quite well for me, and my original plan was to stay with that but change the 20 and 50mm lenses. The most likely candidates would be Nikkor 20mm f/1.8 AF-S and Zeiss 50mm f/2.0 Macro. It's nice to have a macro lens available in case I want to capture a detail up close, and that Zeiss has a very good reputation.

3. Possible future setup
    The new Sigma 24mm f/1.4 may replace both the 20 and 28mm lenses. Add to that the Zeiss 50mm mentioned above and the existing 105mm, and I have room for an extra lens. There are two candidates for that:

- Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 AF, which would extend my reach a lot.

or... wait for it

- Tokina AF 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AT-X 107 AF DX NH Fisheye.

The latter is the DX format fisheye zoom lens from Tokina, but without the built-in lens hood, making it usable on FX. It's a very fun lens that opens up an ocean of creative options. I can see a lot of uses for travel photography. Link here:

Tokina | Digital Eyes - Visionary technology makes a difference you can see

4. The zoom solution.
    Zoom lenses are for me mostly work tools, but if I were to travel around the world together with a woman, children or both, there would be less time dedicated to photography. Zooms would be handy then. Those would probably be Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8, Nikkor 70-200mm f/4 and probably the Voigtlander 40mm f/2 with the included close-up lens to save weight.

I don't carry a flash when I travel, but a lightweight tripod is often in my bag. On a journey like this, I would bring several caps for protecting my head against the sun and three pairs of comfortable shoes for walking. I also use relatively thick cotton socks in the shoes to increase comfort a notch more and because they are comfortable to use at places where shoes are not allowed.

So far this year, I've been travelling for 5 weeks in three different countries and at the moment, I don't know when I will return home. Choosing the right travel setup is a very important part of that reality.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

OK, an open thread is much more fun IMO.
    I would bring the Leica S with 21,45 and 100mm and the T with Standardzoom and Telezoom and 23/2.0 for lower light and quick snapshots etc.
    My Gitzo tripod.

Post Thanks / Like

Now I have finally to chime in

Would bring the EM1 with 2.8/12-40, 2.8/40-150 (TC1.4 added for occasional use) plus the 1.8/75 and all would fit in my Wotancraft Avenger bag, including a MacBook Pro 13" Retina. The OMD system has really grown on me!

And happily call it a day (or 3 great months)

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by segedi View Post
    Jack,
    Please post a photo of that bag! I have one and can't see how all that gear will cram in there. Did you modify the insert with voodoo?

My travel kit:
    D750
    Voigtlander 28mm
    Nikon 85mm f/1.8
    And to cover 50mm, Leica M and Summilux
    Gimme a few days and I will -- in the meantime, here's an older photo to whet your appetite on how I do it.

First understand there's a *lot* more room in in the J803 than the regular canvas 803's. The trick is that 4-lens divider. It is a regular Domke insert, but modified. On all of them, the foam pads can be slid out the bottom. I take them out and trim their widths by 1 inch each, reinsert them and then it fits in the J803 as you see here:

Note that you are looking at 2 M bodies and 7 M lenses here. Note also that the rear foam panel for the lens slots has been removed, but in Nikon config, it's left in and they're not trimmed and left full width.

(edited for clarity) Next, for the Nikon config, I use a similarly modified 2-lens insert as they have larger slots for the larger Nikon lenses. Here I slide the insert a bit more left to leave a single compartment, usually reserved for my biggest/fattest lens. Then I can put 2 of my other Nikon lenses in the 2 lens-slot bays. The big slot left over on the right side holds the D810 with the 17-35 or Sigma ART, or of course the 28 ASPH -- it will even hold the body with the 70-200 nose down (hood off or reversed), though that leaves the body a little "exposed" up top, but the flap still covers and closes.

Had a few minutes to get a snap -- quick jpeg under fluorescents though, so apologies for the color, but here you go:

PS: And yes, that is the same exact J803 as above, just 6 years and a hundred or so photo shoots later -- they wear extremely well!
    Jack

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Jack

Where is the Sigma 35/1.4 Art, or don't you have one? I cant remember from Moab.
    Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Stephens View Post
    Jack

Where is the Sigma 35/1.4 Art, or don't you have one? I cant remember from Moab.
    I don't have one yet -- my goto in that focal is the 28 ASPH. In reality, the 28 ASPH is closer to 30mm actual than 28, so makes for a really awesome street and travel lens.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

IMPORTANT!

I just realized I can also squeeze my Sony A7r with Holga mounted into the bag too -- using a short divider under the wide part of the D810 body next to the lens -- so I need to add to my main gear list!

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Jack

Your Holga can fit in your pocket or your sock
    Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

I am leaving in a few months for Scotland. I use a LowePro 302AW. Nikon d800e plus four lenses. The 17-35, a MF 55 micro f/2.8 it is a perfect normal for me. A 135 DC for some soft focus landscapes or really pretty Bokeh and the new 300mm PF lightweight prime. It is about 8 pounds of camera gear, I also bring a SB-400 flash and a 4 lb Induro tripod. The LowePro is comfortable and easy to walk around with, I use a FastFire sling for the camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Stephens View Post
    Jack

Your Holga can fit in your pocket or your sock
    Or your navel!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, thanks for posting the photos. Love the J803 and mine is the black ballistic which you appear to have too. I think my inserts are holding me back. Though I can still fit quite a bit of M gear, the DSLR setups are tight.

In regards to your macro need, why not get some tubes? I can turn my 50 or 85 into a macro easily when needed and only travel with the shortest tube.

Post Thanks / Like

Jack wrote:
    "4 lenses and body will cram into my Domke J803 for the plane ride -- I have modified a Domke 4-lens insert for it -- and is a perfect working bag since the camera and one lens is always out. In the pockets I have extra battery and cards of course, lens cloth and small body brush, travel guidebook and local map fits in the rear slide pocket -- and that's about all I need for a day around any village."

Jack, how did you modify the Domke dividers? I have several Domkes, and find the dividers are too small and not adjustable. My lens are FAT, e.g. the 24~70 f2.8 Tamron VC, the Zeiss 18mm, Nikon 105 f2.8 Macro, etc. The lenses simply do not fit, making the bags almost useless.
    Thanks
    Dave Gurtcheff
    Beach Haven, NJ

Post Thanks / Like

Jack: Sorry. I just reread the thread, and saw you answered above. Thanks
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave, it is a 2-lens insert for the Nikon. Was 4-lens for the small cam systems. Bad esplainin on my part
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

This is a fun thread. For world travel, I wouldn't dare deal with the bulk of my Nikon and Zeiss lenses. In the past it was an M8.2 w/24,50 & 75. All that will change for this year is replacing the older Leica (still a great street shooter) with my M-P.

Post Thanks / Like

If I'd have the money, I'd go with JohnBrew's kit. But for 50 outstanding images I will only take my Ricoh GR. If I splurge, I might add the Sony RX1R.

I would contemplate to just bring my D800E, Sigma 35 and small Nikon 85mm 1.8 plus tripod; all my other Nikon stuff is too heavy to haul around the world for 3 months.

With the GR / RX1R vs the Nikon set I would give up IQ (a lot D800E vs. the GR, not much D80E vs. the RX1R) and most telephoto opportunities, but I would gain tremendously on small size and cloak, which helps my style.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

F100, 35-70/2.8 AF and some film.

Post Thanks / Like

Df, with 28, 50, and 85. Great fun.

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Daysleeper, that's a nice photo of some good gear. I'm considering the 85mm f/2 as a part of my kit. What's your thought about it at large apertures?

Post Thanks / Like

So Guy started a travel the world with Sony kit thread and I thought it was a great idea, so I'm copying it here. Here is what Guy posted over in Sony:

So for me, here is my choice. Keep in mind I do own and use a Sony A7r body for specific purposes:

Nikon D810 hands down over my A7r -- it just fits my hands like a glove, the controls are right where I know they should be, and the images flow directly through the outstanding viewfinder to my brain. Not to mention incredible AF, metering, great higher ISO when needed, 2-card storage capability and outstanding battery life.

Lenses are a bit tougher. When I travel, I usually limit myself to 3, but for a world-class trip, I may bump to 4. They would be first and foremost, the 50 ART and my Nikon 28 ASPH AF-D. And in all honesty, I could prolly just quit right here, but wouldn't for a world-class trip. Next would prolly be my Nikon 17-35/2.8 zoom simply for the wide end and versatility. Final would be a Nikon 70-200/4 to cover all longer focals and versatility -- I don't own it yet, but will before my next world-class excursion ( ). Note that I'm not opposed to leaving the long zoom in my hotel room when I know I won't be using them and plan on moving light and fast.

4 lenses and body will cram into my Domke J803 for the plane ride -- I have modified a Domke 4-lens insert for it -- and is a perfect working bag since the camera and one lens is always out. In the pockets I have extra battery and cards of course, lens cloth and small body brush, travel guidebook and local map fits in the rear slide pocket -- and that's about all I need for a day around any village.

A note on the yet to be released Sigma ART 24. If it is as good as the 50 and 35, I will own one. However, while 24 is a focal I use a *lot* for landscape, I don't use it often while traveling, finding it either a tad too wide or a tad too long, hence my gut tells me I'd be happier with the extra width and versatility of the 17-35 zoom.
    very interesting, as far as the domke from the pictures it does not seem to advertise,hey I have camera stuff in here, is that your personal experience with this bag?

I mean it does look like a Jack Bauer "Murse" but that is another story. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by viablex1 View Post
    ...it does not seem to advertise, hey I have camera stuff in here, is that your personal experience with this bag?
    That's been my experience. I take it to work with me everyday. One day the wife had moved it and I asked her and the kids if they had seen my camera bag. No, they replied, but your work bag is in the living room!

Post Thanks / Like

cool thanks, I hate never take a backpack like thinktank or tamarac etc, to me that is just begging thieves to steal it. I use a regular backpak with all the smaller camera bags but that can be a pain.

My travel of course I am not selling anything is the new tamron 28-300, the nikon17-35 f2.8 and the sigma art 35mm , sometimes I take the 55mm micro just in case like in california whan I wanted to shoot a bananna slug, The camera is the Df

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I would follow JohnBrew lead above and go with the Leica M-P with the 24/3.8; 50/1.5; & 75/2 along with a few memory cards, spare batteries and a couple of lens cloths.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daysleeper View Post
    Df, with 28, 50, and 85. Great fun.

Man, that black Df just looks good......maybe some day.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by viablex1 View Post
    very interesting, as far as the domke from the pictures it does not seem to advertise,hey I have camera stuff in here, is that your personal experience with this bag?

I mean it does look like a Jack Bauer "Murse" but that is another story. lol
    It's why I like that bag -- when traveling or just walking the street, it looks like a typical man-satchel. Though the plain black is kind of boring, the fabric wears like steel...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm not going around the world, but I do have a real world, short trip dilemma.

I'm going to Death Valley National Park on Friday for a week of hiking and shooting. I will be taking my three Sigma DP Merrills for sure. My dilemma is: Sony A7 kit or Nikon D800e kit. If I take the Sony kit, it's pretty easy...the A7 plus three FE lenses (16-35, 55 and 70-200). If I take the Nikon kit it I'm torn. For sure the D800e and the 24-120/4 VR (it may not be a great lens, but I think it's a good lens). Maybe add the 20/1.8G and the 70-200/4 VR (which I picked up today).

Which bag? My F-stop Loka UL should hold the entire kit. I might pack the TT Mirrorless Mover 30i too (my Sigma DP Merrills live in that bag).

Tripod? Either my Gitzo 3530S with RRS BH-55 and Acratech leveling base or the Induro CT-313 with FLM CB58 FT.

I love a DSLR with optical viewfinder and that is the main reason I am currently leaning towards the D800. Problem is, I hate leaving so many good lenses at home....the Sigma 35 and 50 Art, Micro-Nikkor 105 VR, etc. Aaargh!

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Which bag? My F-stop Loka UL should hold the entire kit.

Gary
    Great to see another Loka UL user - terrific backpack for carrying your gear in mountainous terrain.

Have fun on your trip - when you've finally decided which gear to take.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary,

For whatever it's worth, the wildflowers in DV and surrounding Mojave, will be at or near peak bloom. It is not a stellar year, but still pretty decent. Sweeping wides from down low, some relatively closer stuff for cacti blooms and probably limited needs for much tele. If you have time, try to get to wherever you're headed via the town of Lancaster, CA and the: Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve SNR

Look forward to seeing the images!

Cheers,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sort trips, meaning a business trip that might have some photo opportunity (but often does not) then it is just the Df with the 50 1.8 kit lens. Occasionally I augment that with the 17-35 f/2.8

Longer trips with real photo opportunities:
    Switch the D810 for the Df
    Switch the 58mm 1.4 for the 50 1.8 or switch for the 24-120
    add the 70-200 f/4
    add the Sigma 35 art
    add a tripod size determined by travel mode
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Since I rarely print and do not make a living out of photography, for me it will my Samsung S5 smartphone and Sony RX100 Mk 3 or Sony RX10 (which I will rent). Everything else stays home. This way I can travel farther, faster and enjoy more.

For web sharing, S5 is more than adequate (for me) - aim, shoot, done.

Attachment 86756 Attachment 86757 Attachment 86759
    Attachment 86758

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the tip re the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve Jack. I didn't know about that place and no one in our group is from California, so I'm guessing they probably don't know about it either. We will be spending 5-6 days in Death Valley with a friend who knows the park very well (he's been there 1-2 times every year for the past 25+ years). I've been there 3 times myself, but the last time was about 10 years ago. Then we will have about 3 days to venture to parts unknown. I've always wanted to see Joshua Tree National Park too. So many places to visit in that part of the country.

I've decided to take my D800e (instead of the Sony A7) and most likely the 20/1.8G, 24-120/4 VR and 70-200/4 VR lenses. With your note in mind, I'm also tempted to take either my 105mm Micro-Nikkor VR or Zeiss 100 Makro-Planar too.

Gary

Gary,

For whatever it's worth, the wildflowers in DV and surrounding Mojave, will be at or near peak bloom. It is not a stellar year, but still pretty decent. Sweeping wides from down low, some relatively closer stuff for cacti blooms and probably limited needs for much tele. If you have time, try to get to wherever you're headed via the town of Lancaster, CA and the: Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve SNR

Look forward to seeing the images!

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I'm considering the 85mm f/2 as a part of my kit. What's your thought about it at large apertures?
    I'm not sure that my thoughts are significant. A lens expert told me that when these lenses from the film days are shot wide open, a purple fringe will appear on the captured image, due to the different coatings used. I haven't noticed this. What I have noticed is that the lens takes good pictures, although I'm not up to speed on computer processing yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary:

Be advised you *may* need a reservation to even get into the CA Poppy Preserve, so call/email from the link to find out/arrange as needed.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

(...) Say you won a contest to travel the world all expenses paid for 3 months. (...)

For such a long travel (three months ) I'd probably keep it simple.
    I'd use my more than ten years old Lowepro Toploader bag with my full-frame D610 camera (850 gram) and AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 G (350 gram) mounted.
    Plus AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8 G (330 gram) in the bag as well.
    Instead of a tripod I'd probably (depending on travel conditions) just use my sweatshirt or jacket as sort of a bean bag.
    That's actually all I need.

©lick for actual pixels

© • captured with Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm ZF • 1/13 sec. at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX-D
    Last edited by Steen; 19th March 2015 at 01:02. Reason: correction of camera model

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In the toploader bag there's easily room for yet another lens (or even two depending on focal length and speed).
    E.g. an AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G (280 gram) if needed.
    (All lenses protected by protect filters for such a three months journey).

©lick for actual pixels

© • captured with Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm ZF • 1/13 sec. at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX-D
    Last edited by Steen; 19th March 2015 at 01:03. Reason: correction of camera model

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

(...) Rules are you need at least 1 body, 1 lens and 1 bag, that's the minimum. Oh and 1 tripod. (...)

According to the rules a tripod is mandatory, so here I have added a tiny Slik Sprint SL travel tripod.
    It's far from rock solid, but used with a combination of Self-timer and Exposure delay it works all right.

©lick for actual pixels

Last edited by Steen; 19th March 2015 at 01:04. Reason: correction of camera model