Site Sponsors

Thread: Switch time.. maybe

Senior Member Nathan W. Lediard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Switch time.. maybe

I am a pro and shoot Canon for quick stuff, Hasselblad in the studio, and I shoot Fuji sometimes too.. But I have been talking to Nikon about gear that can do all my jobs and they have kindly lent me a couple of big cases full of gear.... A D4s and a D810, 24-70, 70-200, 35 1.4, 851.4 and the 400 f2.8 and some speedlights.

I have to say I am impressed so far... had a week of getting to know the menus etc and tomorrow I am covering the IPC (paralympics committee) World Cup Finals (nordic skiing and bialthlon events) The AF performance on both these bodies is extremely good. The D4s is not at all left wanting by my Canon 1Dx. The D810 may just be the perfect allround camera. I have tested it in the studio, on the ski slopes and here are a couple of shots with the D810 and the 400 f2.8 VR II Shot straight into the setting sun...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Switch time.. maybe

Nathan, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Back in SLR film days, we Nikon devotees longed for a 150-600mm zoom like Canon had - in DSLR times Canonites lusted after the Nikon 200-400mm and 14-24mm.......

Either way it would be nice to welcome you in the Nikon camp....... and I'm sure you'll find some friendly folk here - just don't neglect your Fuji!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swissblad View Post
    Nathan, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Back in SLR film days, we Nikon devotees longed for a 150-600mm zoom like Canon had - in DSLR times Canonites lusted after the Nikon 200-400mm and 14-24mm.......

Either way it would be nice to welcome you in the Nikon camp....... and I'm sure you'll find some friendly folk here - just don't neglect your Fuji!
    Thanks, though not really a case of grass is greener. Especially with the 5Ds about to come out.. many might wonder why jump ship now... Well For my commercial customers that need the file size the hasselblad is king, but its expensice to maintain and upgrade. Dont want this to ne a MF vs 35mm discussion because I am fully aware of the things I can do with MF vs 35mm

I was talking to a my dealer at a recent seminar about borrowing a 400 f2.8 to cover the papralympics world cup finals when Nikon Norways sales boss, who was sitting at the same table as me, piped up and asked if I have ever tried Niikon.. more as a joke to behonest, but the conversation turned more serious later and via e-mail. The D4s will do exactly what my 1Dx does. no problem. But the d810 will do just about anything and at a third of the cost of the hassy upgrade from H4D to H5D.. and my H4D is WELL used... time for it to go
    If the tools for the job are right, it dpesnt matter what the name on the front says...
    So I am now waiting for a trade in deal from my dealer... only then will I make the choice.. Nikon have said they are working with my dealer to give me the ebst possible offer... Sounds interesting!

Here is one with the 400mm, this time with the D4s attached...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I totally get it Nathan.

If it is time to re-up the Hasselblad, then it just becomes a business decision. So much of what is done today rarely needs the special attributes that MFD brings to the party. There is internet reality, and then there is the real-world reality that Pros face.

I had to make a similar decision when the H5 was introduced ... and I chose to consolidate with my Leica S system and Sony 35mm DSLR, and opted out of Hasselblad. Loved the H, but the work demands had changed and it was time to move on.

Now I question continuing with Sony as they seem to have placed all their eggs in the little mirror-less segment with EVF in a jumble of different bodies, and weak lens support .... but more importantly Canon/Nikon seem to always get the cool third party stuff (Like Profoto's B1 and B2 TTL strobes).

If I were to swap out (again), it'd most likely be to Nikon just for the speed and OVF.

- Marc
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The D810 is the best all-round camera I've ever had. It does high res, action (not perfect, but good enough), low light (not perfect either, but again...), shutter is silent enough, ISO 64 is truly amazing, the viewfinder has proven to be good enough for manual focusing, at lest for me, etc. After I bought it, I've started selling off all my non-Nikon gear except some film stuff that I keep just for fun. I consider selling my other Nikon bodies as well and buy another D810. That's all I need for the rest of this decade... or longer.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If the shoe fits, wear it You are an excellent imagist, and can likely make great images with anything. For me, I made the switch 2 years ago. At the time, I wanted to see how well the higher MP count would actually perform in a DSLR. I was immediately impressed. After a week of dorking around with my first D800, I realized how little I was actually thinking about the camera when using it, it was just natural... So much so, I bought a second body and a slew of glass and sold off most every other system I owned the following week. Two years later and I still feel the same way or more --- the D810 is without question the finest do-it-all camera I've ever owned.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there,
    I would be interested which are the main factors for you if you switch. What would you get in the D810 what you do not get from the 5dIII(s)?
    Is it mainly DR or are there other things?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hmmm...
    sometimes I'm just longing for the effectivity in my old Nikons, metering was always spot on, AF too...
    just, in my weak moments, considering a humble D610 + 18-35 and a 24-120 + some of the left lenses on the shelf. Don't want or need the huge files from D810 and the careful shooting mode needed there. And 610 would be bulky enough to me
    thorkil
    Any positive experience from the 18-35?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Hi there,
    I would be interested which are the main factors for you if you switch. What would you get in the D810 what you do not get from the 5dIII(s)?
    Is it mainly DR or are there other things?
    I do alot of location work with flash. The ability to have 1/250 and a natural 64 iso gives me nearly a stop more than 1/200 and iso100 that the canon gives (my 1Dx is 1/250 , so why not the 5Ds!?
    That is one of the things I love about Medium format. sync all the way to 1/800

The files I am getting from the D810 are incredble . I am a Canon shooter. have been since film. But this D810 impresses me!

The D4s is on par at least with the Canon 1Dx (ok 1 fps slower---- and 2 mpx less.. but really I love how it sits in my hand)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    If the shoe fits, wear it You are an excellent imagist, and can likely make great images with anything. For me, I made the switch 2 years ago. At the time, I wanted to see how well the higher MP count would actually perform in a DSLR. I was immediately impressed. After a week of dorking around with my first D800, I realized how little I was actually thinking about the camera when using it, it was just natural... So much so, I bought a second body and a slew of glass and sold off most every other system I owned the following week. Two years later and I still feel the same way or more --- the D810 is without question the finest do-it-all camera I've ever owned.
    Thanks Jack

I have to agree--- the D810 is reall a jack of all trades and master of most of them. I am impressed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I totally get it Nathan.

If it is time to re-up the Hasselblad, then it just becomes a business decision. So much of what is done today rarely needs the special attributes that MFD brings to the party. There is internet reality, and then there is the real-world reality that Pros face.

I had to make a similar decision when the H5 was introduced ... and I chose to consolidate with my Leica S system and Sony 35mm DSLR, and opted out of Hasselblad. Loved the H, but the work demands had changed and it was time to move on.

Now I question continuing with Sony as they seem to have placed all their eggs in the little mirror-less segment with EVF in a jumble of different bodies, and weak lens support .... but more importantly Canon/Nikon seem to always get the cool third party stuff (Like Profoto's B1 and B2 TTL strobes).

If I were to swap out (again), it'd most likely be to Nikon just for the speed and OVF.

- Marc
    Yep Marc, its all about the money If I can swap to full Nikon kit by trading in all Hassy and Canon gear for less than the getting the Canon and trading my hassy gear then its a done deal

Post Thanks / Like

A very long time Nikon shooter, here. With that said, I fondled a 1Dx and I liked it....a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Another very long time Nikon user. My first camera was the Nikon EM that I got for my 13th birthday. I have had the FM2, FE2, F3, F3HP, F4s, F5, D200, D300, D700, D800, D800e, D810 and the D4.

I just recently switched to the Canon as MOST of my dslr shooting was for fast action sports, and I found that the 1Dx had a better focus tracking system than the nikon, and the extra 2 fps helped a bit too, especially with baseball and hockey.

I do however really miss the D810 files as they were second only to my MFDB files.

If it had a faster fps, I would have made it my all around go to camera. If the Canon 5DSR doesn't measure up, I may be severely tempted to come back to Nikon as I love their cameras, and the menus are now second nature to me, whereas I have to basically re-teach myself the Canon system.
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot Nikon but on thing about Canon is the TS24 lens.

if you shoot landscape there is no Nikon lens as good.
    (my zeiss 21 is not bad tho)

Post Thanks / Like

I have nothing to add, other than I wish Nikon would loan me a 400mm f/2.8. Lucky man.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a long time Nikon shooter as well, although all my Nikon gear is currently sold - but this is just me and that is a different story.

I have been shooting Nikon most of my life (also in the analog days since the 70's) with short interruptions through Canon, Olympus, Leica, Pentax, Hasselblad, .... but always came back to Nikon again and it always felt like home. Especially since the D800E I felt pretty much home with Nikon - I do not want to bore anyone here with explanations why I left again.

Currently I am looking to get back into the Nikon system with the Df and a few selected primes (1.8 as I want to go the lighter way) and later will add whatever Nikon brings as D810 replacement. Not that the D810 is a bad camera by any means but simply because I think the next incarnation will just fulfill my needs even better and life cycle of D800/D810 should end kind of in a year from now - till then I will be able to happily survive with the Df and my beloved Olympus EM1.

Just for those who are interested - I plan to get rid of my Fuji XT1 and selected lenses to fund my step back into Nikon - main reason is that one mirrorless system based on the EM1 is enough, the EM1 and Olympus m43 system suits my needs better than the Fuji X System and I am really missing a great OVF!
    Last edited by ptomsu; 24th March 2015 at 12:14.

Post Thanks / Like

My first decent SLR was a Nikon N70 and I sold that and went Canon for 12 years. Been using various other systems, but recently bought a Nikon 85mm/1.8, F100 (now sold), Voigtlander 28/2.8, Petzvar 150mm/3.5, Sigma 150mm Macro (traded my last Canon lens) D750, and 50mm/1.8 in that order. I knew I wanted to get back into Nikon and went the small and light route, mostly. Except for the flare issue, I've very been happy.

Not comparing image quality or size of the gear, my two lens Leica kit, M240, CV 35/2.5, Summilux 50mm vs the D750, CV 28/2.8 and Nikon 50/1.8, the weight and cost difference are both surprising. The Leica kit is a scant, 0.13 lbs/58 grams lighter and costed me $7555 more to acquire. Nikon was a waaaay better value. And sometimes you need fast AF and an OVF.

Post Thanks / Like

Well its a done deal.
    Friday I travel to Oslo, lunch with my dealer and Nikon... I will be losing the Hasselblad H4D-40 and 4 lenses and My Canon line up and picking up :
    D4s, D810, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 (all 2.8) 58mm f1.4 300 f2.8 and two SB910s and a commander. :O

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan W. Lediard View Post
    Well its a done deal.
    Friday I travel to Oslo, lunch with my dealer and Nikon... I will be losing the Hasselblad H4D-40 and 4 lenses and My Canon line up and picking up :
    D4s, D810, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 (all 2.8) 58mm f1.4 300 f2.8 and two SB910s and a commander. :O
    Nathan,

great to hear that it works out so well, I am happy for you! I think overall a very good decision!

What about your Fuji gear, will it also go?

Best regards

Peter
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Nathan,

great to hear that it works out so well, I am happy for you! I think overall a very good decision!

What about your Fuji gear, will it also go?

Best regards

Peter
    Thanks Peter!
    For the moment I will be keeping my Fujis. Not least because I am 75% of the way through a book project and I don't want to switch systems for that project. After that we will see... I can see me getting rid of the the two X-T1 bodies and my zooms and just keeping the x_pro1 and 14, 23, 35 and 56 primes. Perfect light travel kit when I have a free day and don't want to lug the big guns around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Switch time ... maybe

(...) lunch with my dealer and Nikon ... (...)

precisely why I shoot Nikon

congrats, Nathan

Last edited by Steen; 25th March 2015 at 03:29.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice selection of Nikon gear, Nathan - hope you enjoy the switch.

Glad you're keeping the Fuji…..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well its a done deal.
    Friday I travel to Oslo, lunch with my dealer and Nikon...
    Hmmm.... I only get coffee. Maybe I need to buy more stuff

Good luck with your new cameras. It will be interesting to see how they work for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Well its a done deal.
    You do realise this is only the start…… you are missing the 85mm 1.4, 24mm 1.4 etc……

Have fun...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Welcome aboard!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys

85 1.4 was on my list but I prefer a longer lens really for portraits BUT... you may notice the 58 1.4 is in there.. I reckon that is going to be a great lens for enviromental portraits... and by all accounts it seems to have the 50mm1.2L whooped.. so I won't be missing that! I had the 85 1.2L and the 135f2L used the 135 MUCH more.... The Nikon 135 is on my list to try out.. but to be honest, with the list of lenses I will be picking up on friday, if there is a job I cannot do, then I should just shut up shop and find a new job

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys

85 1.4 was on my list but I prefer a longer lens really for portraits BUT... you may notice the 58 1.4 is in there.. I reckon that is going to be a great lens for enviromental portraits... and by all accounts it seems to have the 50mm1.2L whooped.. so I won't be missing that! I had the 85 1.2L and the 135f2L used the 135 MUCH more.... The Nikon 135 is on my list to try out.. but to be honest, with the list of lenses I will be picking up on friday, if there is a job I cannot do, then I should just shut up shop and find a new job
    IMHO you will not really miss the 1.4/85G. I owned this lens and it was full of CA and some other optical failure, so I was happy to finally sell it and cannot understand that so many others are keen about this lens. Maybe it is just because it is 1.4/85? I think the 1.8/85 should be far better and also lighter. Or the 1.4/58 which you obviously ordered.

Just my 5c!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks guys

Check out the 105mm f/2.0 as well. It's similar to the 135mm but sharper. These are both "old style" lenses, but I like how they render, not clinically sharp, but beautiful bokeh and colours.

Post Thanks / Like

I also recently picked up a Nikon setup (D750, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200/4, 50/1.4, 200-400/4, Sigma 24/1.4 and Nikon 300 PF on order) having sold all my Nikon years ago. This is after my experience with a Canon 1dx and their wonderful 200-400mm in Antarctica. I really want to like the Canon, but the Nikon sensor is quite a bit ahead of Canon and the overall ergonomic seems work better in my small Asian hands. I will definitely miss the Canon 200-400 with built in 1.4X. It never stop working even under a down pouring condition.

A shot to remember the Canon...

Penguin synchronized swimming by By Yat Lee, on Flickr
    Yat

www.flickr.com/yatlee

Post Thanks / Like

As a Nikon user I'm happy with the d800 (and would probably be happier with the 810). I like Nikon's sensors in general. Very impressive.

I'm happy with the 14-24 lens. Equally impressive.

In the grass-is-greener dept., I covet the Canon 17mm and 24mm t/s lenses. They have no competition.

I'm also envious of the superior live-view performance of the 5D. The d800 makes my work a pain in the *** in low light.

I'm also envious of Canon USA's superior customer service. Although the blog at lensrentals.com suggests that Canon is working hard to catch up with Nikon USA's awfulness.