The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 or D750 for wedding?

The D750 is lighter and has a better focusing system. What's not to love? 4000th of a second, ok, but really one stop the sensor can mostly handle, or stop down to F2. No biggie IMO. I honestly wonder why wedding shooters bother with D4 or similar style bodies. Great shutter life sure but you'd never use the high frame rate, and the added durability is not really necessary for even a 30 wedding year.

The D810 is a great camera but the big files will just make your lenses and technique look worse. Think about it, even with a double page spread in an average album, the D750 file will print about the same as the D810. It's not like going from 35mm to 645. It's more like going from 100 ISO film to 50 ISO film. Do I wish the 750 had the same build as the 810, yes, but it's far from a deal breaker for me.

I totally want an F6. They're getting cheap now too. I bet the 58/1.4G would kill it on the F6 with some Portra 160. I use it on my F100 and it's great, but the better AF of the F6 would be huge for that lens.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Totally OT but the F6 talk spurred the thought... I was a guest at a wedding last Summer, and the photographer was using a Leica M3 with 50 Cron, Mamiya 7 with the 50 and 80 I think, and a Holga 6x6. And that was it! I saw the book afterward and had to admit that not only was it unique, it was spectacular, a true work of art!

fotografz

Customs differ in different areas.

The OP should know what is expected in his area and plan his gear accordingly.

Personally, I still believe that luck favors the prepared. So, I always take at least two cameras to a wedding. A back-up camera in the car won't do me any good if something fails when an important part of a wedding is happening then and there.

To each their own.

- Marc

Rawfa

I ended up ordering a D750.
I agree with having 2 cameras (I haven't met a single wedding photographer who doesn't take 2 cameras to a wedding). 1 - As a backup, 2 - Using 2 different lenses without having to change them.

I'm not going to buy another camera now though as I'm JUST STARTING to work as a second photographer at weddings.