Site Sponsors

Thread: D800 or D750 for wedding?

Post Thanks / Like

D800 or D750 for wedding?

Hi guys,

I'm migrating to Nikon and I had my eye on the D750 because it's lighter, it's rated as -EV3 for low light focusing, awesome high iso, it has a tiltable LCD (awesome because I shoot video). But then I started looking into the D800...bulkier for sure, but with also awesome ISO, -ev2 low light focusing, us$600 cheaper than the D750 here in Brazil AND it has 36mpx, which means A LOT of potential for cropping (awesome for wedding shots!).

To be honest after all the awesome reviews I REALLY had my eye on the D750 (the LCD counts big points for me as I shoot a lot of video), but the crop potential of the D800 for weddings is just awesome (plus I could buy a 28mm f1.8 or a 50mm f1.4 with the spare money).

At the same time I hear A LOT of people complaining about the D800's huge files.

What do you guys think? Did anyone here use both?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: D800 or D750 for wedding?

I have a D750 and really like it, but don't shoot weddings. The files are plenty big, I believe you won't have issues with cropping those either. For video, it's a better camera and has a nice video section in the menu. From what I've read, it's cleaned up some of the issues with the D800 video files too.

Weddings mean a lot of photos, I'm not sure I'd want the massive files and needed storage space of the D800 files. I'm sure there are more experienced wedding photographers that will chime in, but my initial reaction is to go D750.
    Segedi.com

flickr
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I shot a D800E and while a great camera in all respects, the file size was not what I really liked, but something which of course comes with 36MP.

So for casual shooting, action, wedding, family etc. I would prefer clearly smaller files. So the D750 might be the better option for weddings. And 34MP should also give you plenty of cropping possibilities, I already find almost enough cropping room with 16MP, but that is of course also individual.

Post Thanks / Like

I do a lot of weeding actually and tried a D750. Everything is good especially for low light : In low light it is perfect. Because of low light no real need of 1/8000 shutter speed so actually I think the D750 would be the best choice over the D800.

The D800 is all but not a "reportage" camera. My personal choice is the D700 (most of the time) and the D4... because it is damn good.

You might try or rent a D4 or even a DF. Files are just perfect and yet, light.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post
    The D800 is all but not a "reportage" camera. My personal choice is the D700 (most of the time) and the D4... because it is damn good.

You might try or rent a D4 or even a DF. Files are just perfect and yet, light.
    I must second this opinion WRT D4 / Df!

I am just trying the Df mainly for it's sensor which is the same as D4 and I must say I am getting overwhelmed by the IQ it is able to produce. While not all the ergonomics of the Df are perfect, they make much sense after a while of using but the sensor, IQ and high ISO it is able to produce make it a perfect choice as everyday reportage cam. plus it is by far the smallest Nikon FF DSLR available today.

I actually hope Nikon will learn from this camera and build a next incarnation which then is just "perfect", but would not hesitate to use the Df as is today for most of my work

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The D750 clearly, particularly since you do video as well. The D800 series are amazing cameras, and I use the D810 myself but a D700 for casual photography. But with the D750 you get:

- Large enough file size for weddings
    - Better high ISO
    - Articulated LCD for video and for "creative" shooting angles
    - Smaller size

I also agree that the Df or a D4 are excellent alternatives, the Df for its size and handling and the D4 for pure shooting performance. There's a D4 for sale at the Buy and Sell forum for a reasonable price.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm migrating to Nikon and I had my eye on the D750 because it's lighter, it's rated as -EV3 for low light focusing, awesome high iso, it has a tiltable LCD (awesome because I shoot video). But then I started looking into the D800...bulkier for sure, but with also awesome ISO, -ev2 low light focusing, us$600 cheaper than the D750 here in Brazil AND it has 36mpx, which means A LOT of potential for cropping (awesome for wedding shots!).

To be honest after all the awesome reviews I REALLY had my eye on the D750 (the LCD counts big points for me as I shoot a lot of video), but the crop potential of the D800 for weddings is just awesome (plus I could buy a 28mm f1.8 or a 50mm f1.4 with the spare money).

At the same time I hear A LOT of people complaining about the D800's huge files.

You need at least two cameras to shoot weddings professionally. Since you could use either of these cameras to do an entire wedding, but each one performs a bit better in some areas, get both!

I use a fast focusing 24 meg FF DSLR for general all around shooting at a wedding (candids, ceremony, reception action), and a higher resolution camera for portraits, group shots, master shots of a location such as a church interior ... anything that may be printed as a full spread in an album or ordered as larger prints.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The O.P. shoots a lot of video, so the DF's probably out, I'm afraid. D4 style or D750 seems to be the majority choice of Nikon pro's who shoot weddings. I've never shot the D4 but the D750 is the most "sorted" camera I've had the pleasure of shooting. It does everything well and when I used it at my niece's wedding recently it just got out of the way and worked more or less seamlessly (for me,anyway. )
    I should add I've no experience of it's video capabilities. I suppose I should check if that aspect works on mine!
    In case you may not have seen it Rawfa, Ross Harvey, a professional wedding photographer, has a great write up of the D750 on his web blog, rossharvey.com.
    What Fotografz says above about two cameras makes a lot of sense. You could do worse than a D610 as a second body.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    You need at least two cameras to shoot weddings professionally. Since you could use either of these cameras to do an entire wedding, but each one performs a bit better in some areas, get both!

I use a fast focusing 24 meg FF DSLR for general all around shooting at a wedding (candids, ceremony, reception action), and a higher resolution camera for portraits, group shots, master shots of a location such as a church interior ... anything that may be printed as a full spread in an album or ordered as larger prints.

- Marc
    YOU need "at least" two cameras. This, Sir, is not common to all professional photographers

Quote Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
    The O.P. shoots a lot of video, so the DF's probably out, I'm afraid. D4 style or D750 seems to be the majority choice of Nikon pro's who shoot weddings. I've never shot the D4 but the D750 is the most "sorted" camera I've had the pleasure of shooting. It does everything well and when I used it at my niece's wedding recently it just got out of the way and worked more or less seamlessly (for me,anyway. )
    I should add I've no experience of it's video capabilities. I suppose I should check if that aspect works on mine!
    In case you may not have seen it Rawfa, Ross Harvey, a professional wedding photographer, has a great write up of the D750 on his web blog, rossharvey.com.
    What Fotografz says above about two cameras makes a lot of sense. You could do worse than a D610 as a second body.
    I omitted the video. Then yes, the D750 is the best actual combo you can use "on budget". Otherwise, a second hand D4 is more pragmatic/durable for professional application. For video, a good cam-coder like the Pana HC-VX878 will do a far better job.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

YOU need "at least" two cameras. This, Sir, is not common to all professional photographers
    Sorry, but two or more cameras is overwhelmingly common for wedding photographers.

Weddings are different from portraits or commercial work which can be re-shot if absolutely necessary. Weddings are a one time, get it or don't assignment ... which is why so many photographers prefer not to do them ... the stress can be intense.

If your one camera goes down at a wedding, you are out of business ... figuratively and literally.

- Marc
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Hi guys,

The D800/800E/810x files are huge.

+ I agree with the back up (same brand/format) camera.

If you want some lenses, send me a PM. I still have a few (not all are AF) Nikon lenses to dispose off. There is a SB800 too!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but two or more cameras is overwhelmingly common for wedding photographers….

If your one camera goes down ….., you are out of business ... figuratively and literally.

- Marc
    Taking only 1 body is a "no no" under any circumstance where you really need the shot.
    At a recent outing to photograph Bearded vultures in the alps, one foreign participant had to turn back and cancel her WE accomodation after her Nikon D4 had a complete systems failure…..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Weddings are a one time, get it or don't assignment ... which is why so many photographers prefer not to do them ... the stress can be intense.

If your one camera goes down at a wedding, you are out of business ... figuratively and literally.

- Marc
    Doesn't bear thinking about!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but two or more cameras is overwhelmingly common for wedding photographers.

Weddings are different from portraits or commercial work which can be re-shot if absolutely necessary. Weddings are a one time, get it or don't assignment ... which is why so many photographers prefer not to do them ... the stress can be intense.

- Marc
    I shoot over 20 weeding per years I have one security crash cam always in my car (a F6), yes, but never used both in the same time (or needed). Of course an accident can happen. Stress is not good in this profession ! I do not know about you but on 12/15 weeding out of 20, I often finish a bit drunk partying with the couple, some ppl even take my camera to shoot us. Never, in years, I had any problem. On almost all weeding I'm invited to the diner too, whatever social class I shoot.

I often get good shoots from the table while eating my cake

Last edited by Hulyss Bowman; 30th March 2015 at 04:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I often finish a bit drunk partying with the couple, some ppl even take my camera to shoot us.

Yeah, but that's not you here is it? IS IT!?!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, but that's not you here is it? IS IT!?!
    Ha no ! Not on those photos. But I'm here, holding the little girl... a bit wreaked like all adults in this place this night I assume (a medieval restaurant).

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Very creative Hulyss! I agree that one camera is enough for shooting, but I always bring along a second camera just for safety. I actually think weddings are amazing because of the creative possibilities - High fashion, cheerful ambiance, strobes and drunk relatives! I think if a wedding photographer stresses too much then chances are the photographs won't be as creative. My last wedding I traveled over 750 miles to Washington DC with just a D800, lights and a Hasselblad h2 as a back up. Lately the Fuji X (Xt1)series has all but replaced other cameras for this kind of work. Insanely good color, lots of weather resistant lenses and primes and the ability to print Polaroids from the Xt1 for guests. To the OP, I would opt for the d750 and buy lenses with the extra $. It's more than enough camera for photo books.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ha no ! Not on those photos.
    Hulyss, that's a shame. I've long admired your portraiture but for a moment there, in my eyes, you became a legend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Very creative Hulyss! I agree that one camera is enough for shooting, but I always bring along a second camera just for safety. I actually think weddings are amazing because of the creative possibilities - High fashion, cheerful ambiance, strobes and drunk relatives! I think if a wedding photographer stresses too much then chances are the photographs won't be as creative. My last wedding I traveled over 750 miles to Washington DC with just a D800, lights and a Hasselblad h2 as a back up. Lately the Fuji X (Xt1)series has all but replaced other cameras for this kind of work. Insanely good color, lots of weather resistant lenses and primes and the ability to print Polaroids from the Xt1 for guests. To the OP, I would opt for the d750 and buy lenses with the extra $. It's more than enough camera for photo books.
    Yea exactly ! We never know how it will end, even if planned. I really love weeding because it is where, sometimes, you just follow the moment and be part of it. Pretty immersive. Some moments/emotions are so tiny in time that we need the best tool for everything. I do not buy into the D750 only because of 1/4000. Outdoor I'm often @ 1/5000 or up.

Hulyss, that's a shame. I've long admired your portraiture but for a moment there, in my eyes, you became a legend!!!
    haaaa !!! I know what you mean now !!! I won't express myself over this

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1 for backup camera at weddings (and any event that can't be repeated or re-shot). While ideally, the backup should be the same or similar to the main camera, any camera with the same mount, F-mount in this case, will do in a crisis, even a DX format. Before I bought the D810, I often used the D300 as backup/second camera for the D700, and while I couldn't go as wide, my reach improved. D300 bodies are very, very cheap.

I've rarely used the F6 as backup like Hulyss do, but that's a splendid idea, with the option of shooting some film during the event.

Post Thanks / Like

The D750 is lighter and has a better focusing system. What's not to love? 4000th of a second, ok, but really one stop the sensor can mostly handle, or stop down to F2. No biggie IMO. I honestly wonder why wedding shooters bother with D4 or similar style bodies. Great shutter life sure but you'd never use the high frame rate, and the added durability is not really necessary for even a 30 wedding year.

The D810 is a great camera but the big files will just make your lenses and technique look worse. Think about it, even with a double page spread in an average album, the D750 file will print about the same as the D810. It's not like going from 35mm to 645. It's more like going from 100 ISO film to 50 ISO film. Do I wish the 750 had the same build as the 810, yes, but it's far from a deal breaker for me.

I totally want an F6. They're getting cheap now too. I bet the 58/1.4G would kill it on the F6 with some Portra 160. I use it on my F100 and it's great, but the better AF of the F6 would be huge for that lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Totally OT but the F6 talk spurred the thought... I was a guest at a wedding last Summer, and the photographer was using a Leica M3 with 50 Cron, Mamiya 7 with the 50 and 80 I think, and a Holga 6x6. And that was it! I saw the book afterward and had to admit that not only was it unique, it was spectacular, a true work of art!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Customs differ in different areas.

The OP should know what is expected in his area and plan his gear accordingly.

Personally, I still believe that luck favors the prepared. So, I always take at least two cameras to a wedding. A back-up camera in the car won't do me any good if something fails when an important part of a wedding is happening then and there.

To each their own.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Personally, I still believe that luck favors the prepared.
    Amen brother, amen!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up ordering a D750.
    I agree with having 2 cameras (I haven't met a single wedding photographer who doesn't take 2 cameras to a wedding). 1 - As a backup, 2 - Using 2 different lenses without having to change them.

I'm not going to buy another camera now though as I'm JUST STARTING to work as a second photographer at weddings.
    www.rafael-lopes.com

Post Thanks / Like

Good choice - go out - have fun - make images… and don't forget to post them…