The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Strange D810 behavior

JohnBrew

So I went out this morning and shot for a few hours. Get home, pull out the CF card and downloaded...nothing. Pull out the SD card and downloaded. My images show up but they're JPEG's! I don't shoot JPEG's. Check the menu on camera - yep, primary slot CF, secondary slot SD, secondary assigned as overflow, images shot as RAW. After checking these I shot an image, downloaded the CF card and there is my RAW image. Is my camera playing an April Fool's joke on me a couple of days late?
I have surmised that possibly the CF card didn't re-seat correctly after the last usage and so images went to the SD card, but as JPEG's? Weird. I welcome any rational explanations.

V

Vivek

I have surmised that possibly the CF card didn't re-seat correctly after the last usage and so images went to the SD card, but as JPEG's? Weird.
Yup, that must be it. Also, use the dust blower as often as you can on the CF card and the card slot. They are a real pain and lead to a lot of hair pulling (I am so glad that I do not use/need CF cards anymore).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Were the jpegs from your last shoot? I can understand that card having older images on it, but overflow should have defaulted to simply writing your raws onto the SD.

k-hawinkler

Very strange behavior!
I basically almost never remove a memory card.
Instead I use the usb cable to download the images.
BTW, a pencil eraser is a great tool to clean the contacts of any memory card,
be it for a camera or computer.

JohnBrew

Jack, I haven't shot a JPEG since 2003. :D The only images on the card are those from today. I will do a test later today to make certain the SD card is capable of recording RAW It's a brand new card, formatted and until today used for overflow only - I've never had need of an overflow. After this morning it is now designated for backup.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've never had "pin problems" with CF cards, but I know people who have. So to be on the safe side, I use SD as my primary and CF as backup. In reality the CF card never leaves the camera, and I'm very happy with that. Gives me peace of mind. Also, the SD card has its own slot in my MacBook.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I've never had "pin problems" with CF cards, but I know people who have. So to be on the safe side, I use SD as my primary and CF as backup. In reality the CF card never leaves the camera, and I'm very happy with that. Gives me peace of mind. Also, the SD card has its own slot in my MacBook.
Exactly what I do.
-bob

Last edited:

JohnBrew

I believe the JPEG incident is related to the option in the menu for selecting primary card to record RAW and secondary to record JPEG. While I have never chosen this option I believe the camera chose it for me indicating a glitch in the system.