Site Sponsors

Thread: Strange D810 behavior

Post Thanks / Like

Strange D810 behavior

So I went out this morning and shot for a few hours. Get home, pull out the CF card and downloaded...nothing. Pull out the SD card and downloaded. My images show up but they're JPEG's! I don't shoot JPEG's. Check the menu on camera - yep, primary slot CF, secondary slot SD, secondary assigned as overflow, images shot as RAW. After checking these I shot an image, downloaded the CF card and there is my RAW image. Is my camera playing an April Fool's joke on me a couple of days late?
    I have surmised that possibly the CF card didn't re-seat correctly after the last usage and so images went to the SD card, but as JPEG's? Weird. I welcome any rational explanations.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Strange D810 behavior

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrew View Post
    I have surmised that possibly the CF card didn't re-seat correctly after the last usage and so images went to the SD card, but as JPEG's? Weird.
    Yup, that must be it. Also, use the dust blower as often as you can on the CF card and the card slot. They are a real pain and lead to a lot of hair pulling (I am so glad that I do not use/need CF cards anymore).
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Were the jpegs from your last shoot? I can understand that card having older images on it, but overflow should have defaulted to simply writing your raws onto the SD.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Very strange behavior!
    I basically almost never remove a memory card.
    Instead I use the usb cable to download the images.
    BTW, a pencil eraser is a great tool to clean the contacts of any memory card,
    be it for a camera or computer.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Jack, I haven't shot a JPEG since 2003. The only images on the card are those from today. I will do a test later today to make certain the SD card is capable of recording RAW It's a brand new card, formatted and until today used for overflow only - I've never had need of an overflow. After this morning it is now designated for backup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Definitely weird behavior John.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've never had "pin problems" with CF cards, but I know people who have. So to be on the safe side, I use SD as my primary and CF as backup. In reality the CF card never leaves the camera, and I'm very happy with that. Gives me peace of mind. Also, the SD card has its own slot in my MacBook.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I've never had "pin problems" with CF cards, but I know people who have. So to be on the safe side, I use SD as my primary and CF as backup. In reality the CF card never leaves the camera, and I'm very happy with that. Gives me peace of mind. Also, the SD card has its own slot in my MacBook.
    Exactly what I do.
    -bob
    Last edited by Bob; 10th June 2015 at 05:47.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the JPEG incident is related to the option in the menu for selecting primary card to record RAW and secondary to record JPEG. While I have never chosen this option I believe the camera chose it for me indicating a glitch in the system.