The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 24-120 f4 or 28-300mm

jlancasterd

John, much appreciated.

...How do you find the lens results, if I might trouble you some more.
I get good results from the 24-120 under most conditions. My normal shooting mode is to use manual and auto-ISO. I then set the aperture and shutter speed as appropriate for the subject, letting the ISO look after itself. Using the Lightroom profile for this lens I find I only need a moderate amount of sharpening with an ISO as high as 12,500. For static subjects the VR is completely effective at speeds down to 1/30 sec, and I've had good results hand-held at 1/8 sec, although I usually bracket at less than 1/30.

My advise: less is more.

option A

Df with 85/1.8 G plus Ricoh GR

Option B

Fuji X-T1 with 56/1.2 plus Ricoh GR

Option C

Canon G7X plus Ricoh GR

If you are not able to cover the whole vacation with one of those 3 options, it is not the default of your equipment you have choosen ;)

concentrate more on your wife and the actual trip instead of the pressure to make enough high quality images.

Just coming back from a week long trip myself, in the end I left my Df home. Instead I took Leica X typ 113 and Leica X Vario with me. Out of those, the X Vario got about 95% of the shots. The 24-70 equivalent range of it's lens was fantastic for travel.

So with that in mind, travelling with the Df only I would also be inclined to go with 24-120 and maybe add a fast 50 like 50/1.8G to it. With that I'd be easily done. No lens changing during the day, just enjoy travel and sneak a few shots here & there.

Evening time swap on the 50 and go out for dinner & drinks..

//Juha

Last edited:

rayyan

John, 4771

Thanks guys.

I tried the 24-120 yesterday. Seemed heavy. Tried the Fuji 56 and 14mm. Nice
Size and balance.

Shall go again and try the 24-120, for a longer time.

Best.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
John, 4771

Thanks guys.

I tried the 24-120 yesterday. Seemed heavy. Tried the Fuji 56 and 14mm. Nice
Size and balance.

Shall go again and try the 24-120, for a longer time.

Best.
Rayyan,

sure the 24-120 is heavier than a pair of primes, especially if you compare to APSC camera which the Fuji is.

But remember what you get from FF with 24-120 - just one lens, with reasonable speed (F4) and reasonable DOF on the Df sensor - I would assume pretty similar than what you can achieve with the XT1 with the 56 and 14. But you have all the other focal length just with you if you need. And the Df sensor easily can live up to the slower speed of the 4/24-120 ....

Well, I see myself defending this zoom lens now although I originally voted for 2 Nikkor primes, so maybe it is time for me to shut up :D

All the best

Peter