Post Thanks / Like

Nikon 24-120 f4 or 28-300mm

As a travel lens. For the Df.

Your opinions please.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nikon 24-120 f4 or 28-300mm

For me, it would be the 24-120mm. 4 mm wider is more worth to me than the extra telephoto reach. Constant aperture counts also, and it's my impression that the shorter lens is also better sharper and has a nicer bokeh. The shop where I buy my gear sell the 24-120 for a very favourable price, 30% cheaper than the 28-300mm.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen, I too believe the 24mm shall be more useful than 300mm for my needs.

I am going back and forward between a zoom or 3 f1.8g primes..

24/28, 50, 85. I have the 50/85.

Take care pal and thanks.

p.s I realize there is no 24/1.8 currently just f1.4, at a ridiculous cost!

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    For me, it would be the 24-120mm. 4 mm wider is more worth to me than the extra telephoto reach. Constant aperture counts also, and it's my impression that the shorter lens is also better sharper and has a nicer bokeh. The shop where I buy my gear sell the 24-120 for a very favourable price, 30% cheaper than the 28-300mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    For me, it would be the 24-120mm. 4 mm wider is more worth to me than the extra telephoto reach. Constant aperture counts also...
    My view also. The 24-120 on a D810 is my 'single lens travel kit' when touring by train in Europe. If I can spare the space in my shoulder bag I'll take the 16-35 f4 along as well. I find wide lenses much more use than teles.
    John L Dobson
    Editor, Ffestiniog Railway Magazine

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

John, much appreciated.

It is the wide end that I need to worry about then. Wish there was a 24/1.8

How do you find the lens results, if I might trouble you some more.

Thanks John and best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by jlancasterd View Post
    My view also. The 24-120 on a D810 is my 'single lens travel kit' when touring by train in Europe. If I can spare the space in my shoulder bag I'll take the 16-35 f4 along as well. I find wide lenses much more use than teles.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Why not get the 20/1.8? It looks pretty impressive for a fairly prices fast wide. You can crop if needed. I know the Df is pretty good at high ISO but there's something to be said for being able to avoid jumping up 2 1/3 stops for optimum performance in comparison to the zoom.

For travel though the 24-120 zoom + a fast 35/50 or a lighter 70-300 (or whatever similar equivalent Nikon has) will cover 95% of what most people will need with the Df.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quandary, primes vs zoom.

Like your suggestion to add a fast prime to the zoom..hmmm!

Grateful for your suggestions here and the Fuji thread. Trying to decide, where
    The zoom should go. Nikon or the Fuji.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Why not get the 20/1.8? It looks pretty impressive for a fairly prices fast wide. You can crop if needed. I know the Df is pretty good at high ISO but there's something to be said for being able to avoid jumping up 2 1/3 stops for optimum performance in comparison to the zoom.

For travel though the 24-120 zoom + a fast 35/50 or a lighter 70-300 (or whatever similar equivalent Nikon has) will cover 95% of what most people will need with the Df.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A travel zoom and a 50/1.8 (or 1.4) is a great travel combo.

Sometimes you want those extra stops indoor or that wide aperture/narrow focus look. The zoom won't isolate the subject as well.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite all around and compact travel lens on the Df is the 1.8/35 - marvelous booked, very sharp, compact.

I will soon add a 1.4/58 pretty as my only really fast lens.

For a wider end the 1.8/20 will be my option in the future.

Any zoom lenses in this range became more and more obsolete for me over time, I prefer primes.

If I would have to chose 3 primes for travel - 1.8/20, 1.8/35, 1.8/85.

The only zoom I would get for the Df is the 80-400 VRII - an absolute must have if you shoot wildlife (which I do a lot).

Plus BTW I am confident all these lenses will take great images with high IQ also on a D810 or whatever will follow in the higher MP Nikon range in near future ... so all of the above guarantee a pretty future proof setup.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Lars for a solution that I am beginning to appreciate based on what you
    Good folks are suggesting.

Enjoying this...part of preparing for travel to distant lands.

Thank you so very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    A travel zoom and a 50/1.8 (or 1.4) is a great travel combo.

Sometimes you want those extra stops indoor or that wide aperture/narrow focus look. The zoom won't isolate the subject as well.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Peter.

First congratulations. I didn't know you had the Df.

If I take the Df along, I was thinking of adding the Fuji X100S, to cover the 35mm.
    I am undecided between lens changes with primes or the convenience, at loss of
    Other things, with a zoom.

The trip my wife and me are planning would really require more than one prime.
    And I do not really want to spend too much. I just want to add one lens either
    To the Df or the Fuji X-T1. The M is out..it is tough on my eyes.

The 58/1.4....seems to be a lovely lens from what I have read and seen its results. But rich for me on my pension.

Best to you and yours.

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    My favorite all around and compact travel lens on the Df is the 1.8/35 - marvelous booked, very sharp, compact.

I will soon add a 1.4/58 pretty as my only really fast lens.

For a wider end the 1.8/20 will be my option in the future.

Any zoom lenses in this range became more and more obsolete for me over time, I prefer primes.

If I would have to chose 3 primes for travel - 1.8/20, 1.8/35, 1.8/85.

The only zoom I would get for the Df is the 80-400 VRII - an absolute must have if you shoot wildlife (which I do a lot).

Plus BTW I am confident all these lenses will take great images with high IQ also on a D810 or whatever will follow in the higher MP Nikon range in near future ... so all of the above guarantee a pretty future proof setup.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Quandary, primes vs zoom.

Like your suggestion to add a fast prime to the zoom..hmmm!

Grateful for your suggestions here and the Fuji thread. Trying to decide, where
    The zoom should go. Nikon or the Fuji.

Take care.
    Considering your kit I would probably take the Fuji XT-1 with 18-135 for daytime and the Nikon Df with a fast 35 and 85 for night... that's just me though. Should be able to all fit in a relatively small photo backpack/large messenger bag with an iPad/Surface Pro 3, and associated cables/batteries.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh, you're considering travelling with two systems? My recommendation (after literally several years on the road) - bring just one system, and a pocketable compact. This will help you focus on photography rather than gear. Fewer lenses means fewer choices, sometimes a good thing. I repeat, one zoom and one nifty-fifty.

Travel photography is (for me) about the pics I actually take, not about what I could possibly have done with the gear I left at home.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Peter.

First congratulations. I didn't know you had the Df.

If I take the Df along, I was thinking of adding the Fuji X100S, to cover the 35mm.
    I am undecided between lens changes with primes or the convenience, at loss of
    Other things, with a zoom.

The trip my wife and me are planning would really require more than one prime.
    And I do not really want to spend too much. I just want to add one lens either
    To the Df or the Fuji X-T1. The M is out..it is tough on my eyes.

The 58/1.4....seems to be a lovely lens from what I have read and seen its results. But rich for me on my pension.

Best to you and yours.
    Hi Rayyan,

I just switched from my Fuji XT1 to the Df with the 1.8/35 and 1.8/85 - what a lovely combo And I still kept my EM1 with selected lenses as my mirror-less system ....

If you want a good Nikkor zoom in the standard range, then the 24-120 seems to be the best option and I would also choose this as my go to one zoom lens in combination with the Df. And maybe add the 1.4/50 as my fast lens on budget or if having the choice the 1.4/58 - have seen images of this lens and while for sure very expensive, the results and possibilities of playing with bokeh from wide open at 1.4 to already much sharper starting at 2.0 are just magnificent.

Wish you and your wife a great and fascinating trip

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am just going to take one system. The X-T1 or the Df. I am inclining more towards the Df. With the Df, I was thinking to add the X100S; for when I need to
    Walk around with something light.

Guys, I am thankful to you for your responses.

Best wishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Considering your kit I would probably take the Fuji XT-1 with 18-135 for daytime and the Nikon Df with a fast 35 and 85 for night... that's just me though. Should be able to all fit in a relatively small photo backpack/large messenger bag with an iPad/Surface Pro 3, and associated cables/batteries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Oh, you're considering travelling with two systems? My recommendation (after literally several years on the road) - bring just one system, and a pocketable compact. This will help you focus on photography rather than gear. Fewer lenses means fewer choices, sometimes a good thing. I repeat, one zoom and one nifty-fifty.

Travel photography is (for me) about the pics I actually take, not about what I could possibly have done with the gear I left at home.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Peter.

Would love the 58...someday maybe.

I have tasked the wife to fill in the visa forms
    I pay for the trip, she can fill some forms

Best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Hi Rayyan,

I just switched from my Fuji XT1 to the Df with the 1.8/35 and 1.8/85 - what a lovely combo And I still kept my EM1 with selected lenses as my mirror-less system ....

If you want a good Nikkor zoom in the standard range, then the 24-120 seems to be the best option and I would also choose this as my go to one zoom lens in combination with the Df. And maybe add the 1.4/50 as my fast lens on budget or if having the choice the 1.4/58 - have seen images of this lens and while for sure very expensive, the results and possibilities of playing with bokeh from wide open at 1.4 to already much sharper starting at 2.0 are just magnificent.

Wish you and your wife a great and fascinating trip

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ditto all the above zoom recos -- go for the wide end, the lens is pretty darn good for covering a 5:1 zoom range!

That said, for travel I also *really* like the 28/1.4 or 17-35/2.8 along with the 50 ART. 17-35 is definitely more flexible, but the 28 just sings and I always seem to make it work for my wide.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

I would test the 24-120mm on the Df before buying - it is a hefty piece of glass and may be unbalanced on the small Df body. A feature really missing on the 24-120 is a zoom lock - when you walk around - it always zooms out to max focal length - a pain.
    As an alternative I would suggest the smaller new AFS VR24-85mm, which is optically quite OK.
    My choice would be an old AF-D 35-105mm - a superb little lens and would really complement the Df well.
    Last edited by Swissblad; 12th April 2015 at 03:24.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree about testing out the balance of the lenses with the Df body. As mentioned, the 24-120 on the Df can be somewhat front heavy, as are some of the other zooms.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jack, Swissblad, Graham and all the other good folk, thank you all for your inputs.

I tried the 18-135mm on the X-T1 today. Ugly, and too...well I did not like the handling and neither the results. Definitely out.

Am going to see the Nikon dealer shortly. The 28/1.8 seems promising. They will
    Not allow me to keep it for a day or so for testing. However, never had an issue with returning faulty gear back.

I shall try the 24-120 to see how it handles on the Df.

Thanks again.
    koffee & kamera

Post Thanks / Like

John, much appreciated.

...How do you find the lens results, if I might trouble you some more.
    I get good results from the 24-120 under most conditions. My normal shooting mode is to use manual and auto-ISO. I then set the aperture and shutter speed as appropriate for the subject, letting the ISO look after itself. Using the Lightroom profile for this lens I find I only need a moderate amount of sharpening with an ISO as high as 12,500. For static subjects the VR is completely effective at speeds down to 1/30 sec, and I've had good results hand-held at 1/8 sec, although I usually bracket at less than 1/30.
    John L Dobson
    Editor, Ffestiniog Railway Magazine

Post Thanks / Like

My advise: less is more.

option A

Df with 85/1.8 G plus Ricoh GR

Option B

Fuji X-T1 with 56/1.2 plus Ricoh GR

Option C

Canon G7X plus Ricoh GR

If you are not able to cover the whole vacation with one of those 3 options, it is not the default of your equipment you have choosen

concentrate more on your wife and the actual trip instead of the pressure to make enough high quality images.

Post Thanks / Like

Just coming back from a week long trip myself, in the end I left my Df home. Instead I took Leica X typ 113 and Leica X Vario with me. Out of those, the X Vario got about 95% of the shots. The 24-70 equivalent range of it's lens was fantastic for travel.

So with that in mind, travelling with the Df only I would also be inclined to go with 24-120 and maybe add a fast 50 like 50/1.8G to it. With that I'd be easily done. No lens changing during the day, just enjoy travel and sneak a few shots here & there.

Evening time swap on the 50 and go out for dinner & drinks..

//Juha
    Last edited by jlindstrom; 12th April 2015 at 21:13. Reason: typos

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

John, 4771

Thanks guys.

I tried the 24-120 yesterday. Seemed heavy. Tried the Fuji 56 and 14mm. Nice
    Size and balance.

Shall go again and try the 24-120, for a longer time.

Best.

Post Thanks / Like

John, 4771

Thanks guys.

I tried the 24-120 yesterday. Seemed heavy. Tried the Fuji 56 and 14mm. Nice
    Size and balance.

Shall go again and try the 24-120, for a longer time.

Best.
    Rayyan,

sure the 24-120 is heavier than a pair of primes, especially if you compare to APSC camera which the Fuji is.

But remember what you get from FF with 24-120 - just one lens, with reasonable speed (F4) and reasonable DOF on the Df sensor - I would assume pretty similar than what you can achieve with the XT1 with the 56 and 14. But you have all the other focal length just with you if you need. And the Df sensor easily can live up to the slower speed of the 4/24-120 ....

Well, I see myself defending this zoom lens now although I originally voted for 2 Nikkor primes, so maybe it is time for me to shut up

All the best

Peter