The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

35 ART vs 35/1.4 NIKON sample images/comparison

Paratom

if anybody is interested:
I have both lenses at home at the moment and posted some unscientific comparisons here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/111665084@N07/sets/72157651570028948/

My findings so far:
- In some images the Sigma has a little more pop (however I would say in 80% the Nikon delivers very sharp/popping images as well)
- In some images I think the Nikon shows slightly smoother bokeh and a little more "character"(whatever this means)
- Handling of the Nikon (weight/size balance, reach of focus ring) I prefer slightly the Nikon on the Nikon df at least; I would feel more confident to abuse the Nikon vs the Sigma, but thats just a feeling
-The Nikon 35mm is also very similar to the 58/1.4 G in handling; I asume those 2 go together very well (The Sigma focus ring turns the other direction and is positioned further away from the camera.
- In some images with strong contrast borders the Nikon can show some CA, the Sigma is better in this regard
- The Sigma is a little wider focal length than the Nikon
- I had few images wich were focused not accurate, slightly more often with the Nikon than with the Sigma.

I can still choose between the 2 but have not made up my mind yet.

RVB

if anybody is interested:
I have both lenses at home at the moment and posted some unscientific comparisons here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/111665084@N07/sets/72157651570028948/

My findings so far:
- In some images the Sigma has a little more pop (however I would say in 80% the Nikon delivers very sharp/popping images as well)
- In some images I think the Nikon shows slightly smoother bokeh and a little more "character"(whatever this means)
- Handling of the Nikon (weight/size balance, reach of focus ring) I prefer slightly the Nikon on the Nikon df at least; I would feel more confident to abuse the Nikon vs the Sigma, but thats just a feeling
-The Nikon 35mm is also very similar to the 58/1.4 G in handling; I asume those 2 go together very well (The Sigma focus ring turns the other direction and is positioned further away from the camera.
- In some images with strong contrast borders the Nikon can show some CA, the Sigma is better in this regard
- The Sigma is a little wider focal length than the Nikon
- I had few images wich were focused not accurate, slightly more often with the Nikon than with the Sigma.

I can still choose between the 2 but have not made up my mind yet.
DXO resolution tests show the Art as having higher res.. Sigma score's 30 vs 22 on the Nikon,although this is less relevant on the DF body.

I've also owned the Nikon but the Sigma is better at 1.4,although the Nikon is weather proofed and that may mean a lot to some buyers!!

In the end I kept the Art and sold the Nikon.

Rob

MarekGlaser

This is a great comparison, I was wondering how these 2 lenses would compare, thanks for sharing!

The choice is an artistic one, from what I'm seeing in the way these lenses render, I would want to have the Nikon for people and the Sigma for things and landscapes.

If I had to pick one I would pick based on what I shoot the most. Ideally it would be good to have both styles of rendering available in this focal length.

I happen to have the Sigma but I made the choice without having tried out both the way you have.

Marek

Paratom

This is a great comparison, I was wondering how these 2 lenses would compare, thanks for sharing!

The choice is an artistic one, from what I'm seeing in the way these lenses render, I would want to have the Nikon for people and the Sigma for things and landscapes.

If I had to pick one I would pick based on what I shoot the most. Ideally it would be good to have both styles of rendering available in this focal length.

I happen to have the Sigma but I made the choice without having tried out both the way you have.

Marek
Hi Marek,
I agree with what you write.
If one does a lot of pixel peeping the Sigma wins, it just delivers.
Also while in some images (it depends a lot on the background and on the f-stop) I prefer the Nikon Bokeh still the Sigma Bokeh/Rolloff is nice as well.
I will shoot some more images with both, specially I am also intersted how both render skin and skin color (Since I want to use it a lot inside as well).
I am also interested how they render in darker less contrasty available light situations.
Tom

MarekGlaser

Cool, I would imaging this extends to comparing the Sigma 50 and Nikon 58 as we're talking about an analogous difference in rendering styles.

The type of comparison you're doing is so interesting because it let's us explore the more qualitative aspects of lens performance vs. the more common quantitative measurements of sharpness, distortion and other characteristics, more technically measured and widely reported. We spend a lot on lens purchases and instinctively want to obtain the best technical performance for our money. It's not hard to find the technical information.

However, this sort of side by side photography is much harder to come by. I find it very valuable.

When one can be toggle back and forth between photos of the same lighting, it really provides a better picture of how different lenses translate the same scene... literally. And that's the key, toggling between the identical scene is what reveals the subtleties.

Marek

Paratom

I did some comparison shots netween the 50/1.8G and the 58/1.4G, if anybody is interested.
Biggest difference? ....focal length ;)
Of course there are other differences as well.

doctorfab

The Nikon has a lovely bokeh. Sigma is more nervous and confused, but sharper.
Weather sealing is very relevant to me. ;)