The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 and 24mm PC-E

dr0th

Does anyone have experience with this combo? I don't shoot architecture per se, but I'm coming from a large format background and have never used a "perspective control" lens on a DSLR (I've owned both Canon and Nikon DSLRs and I'm about to get a D800). I would love to have control over those movements while shooting, I'd imagine I'll be working on a tripod in landscape orientation.

Any experience or images you can share would be helpful! I'd love to get a medium format system (something like a P45 on a Horseman/Fotoman/Alpa style setup) but it's way out of my budget. For the record, I also currently have a Mamiya 7 with 43mm and 80mm, and a 4x5 with 90/125/150 that I'm still using.

routlaw

While I don't own the D800 I have used this camera with the 24 PC-E lens. In fact I own all 3 of the Nikon PC-E lenses and use them almost exclusively. The first copy I had of the 24 was not nearly as good as my newest one both mechanically and optically. But to the point I didn't feel the 24 was up to par with the smaller pixels of the D800 but its worth noting this was using my older 24 version. The newer one might fare better and it does very well with my Df and D4.

Given your experience with LF cameras however you might find, as I do, the PC-E lenses limiting and frustrating at times. Simply put there just isn't as much utility with them, nor the optical quality compared to a real LF camera with Rodenstock or Schneider APO lenses.

Hope this helps

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have one I use on my D810. It is a good lens and very flexible. Mine allows for about 7mm L/R shift before corners get overly smeary. There does seem to be some variability in these, so make sure you can test and return whatever you buy.

dr0th

Hmm. Thanks for the advice guys. I am very leary about this setup now...maybe I should just save up for a Horseman and a digital back...

DDudenbostel

I shot quite a lot of exterior and interior architectural work with the D800 and 24 PC E. I'll say that I'm quite pleased with it and have made quite a few 40" and larger prints for my clients. The combination is quite capable of delivering excellent results. I do find that shooting at f8 to 11 gives optimum performance and strong tripod and prereleasing the mirror are important. I've used the combo for product shoots where selective focus and exaggerated perspective are desired.

mmbma

Depending on the type of work you do, you'll know if you really need the PC-E lenses or not. My guess is probably not based on your question. If you really need it you'd probably already have it. I'd get the 14-24 zoom if you don't mind the bulk.

As to medium format, one system that really benefits from PC-E is the Alpa FPS and other similar units. But in that case, get Canon Shift lenses rather than Nikon ones.