The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Nikon FX mirrorless….?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
New Nikon FX mirrorless … ?

I've heard that it comes with a free sunshade cap :lecture:

V

Vivek

Sounds like DOA with the same old F mount (or is it "FX" ?). Might end up like Pentax K mirrorless experiment.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm expecting something similar to the V3, highly modular. F-mount only with an adapter obviously, they are not stupid.

Swissblad

Ditto - my feeling is they used the Nikon 1 to test the waters…. I would expect a very decent and competent FX mirrorless system.

V

Vivek

I certainly hope so. Any competition to Sony so that their cameras improve dramatically is very welcome. I hope Nikon will not disappoint! :D

iiiNelson

I'm expecting something similar to the V3, highly modular. F-mount only with an adapter obviously, they are not stupid.
The rumor cites that the camera will be F-mount.

Releasing ANY ILC without a OVF/EVF is just ridiculous to me. The technology has progressed enough that there are plenty of decent ones even in the budget friendly cameras. I'm sure most photographers given the choice would take ANY VF (OVF/EVF) over no VF given the choice.

As for the Nikon 1 I understand it was a test bed that produce the camera no one asked for. I guess I didn't understand the point of creating a system camera with a sensor the size of a P&S camera that has interchangeable lenses. You can't quite pocket it and most wanted a larger sensor ILC backed by Canon/Nikon.

I hope they learned from the Nikon 1 and can implement technology developed from it.

foveon

F-mount will not work, flange distance is 46,5mm, mirrorless have flange distance of maybe 18 or 20 mm.

iiiNelson

F-mount will not work, flange distance is 46,5mm, mirrorless have flange distance of maybe 18 or 20 mm.
Yes if they choose to design around a new mount then yes a shorter flange distance is possible but if they build around F-mount like the rumor states then it'll have the same flange distance.

foveon

in the link above you see a picture of a mirrorless camera.If you look at the camera, do you see an extension of 2,5 to 3 cm? Without the extension you dont reach a F- flange and with exiension you dont get a compact camera, so this rumor is just bla-bla written by somebody without any knowledge about cameras^^

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Any mirror-less FF Nikon camera with a shorter flange distance than the F mount will need an adapter for F mount lenses. This is actually the only solution and seems ok for me.

- New smaller lenses for the new mount fit directly to the camera.

- "Old" F mound lenses fir with adapter to the camera.

iiiNelson

in the link above you see a picture of a mirrorless camera.If you look at the camera, do you see an extension of 2,5 to 3 cm? Without the extension you dont reach a F- flange and with exiension you dont get a compact camera, so this rumor is just bla-bla written by somebody without any knowledge about cameras^^
Yeah I you see the picture. Do you see words under the first sentence? Do you see the bullet points? Do you see the 3rd one from the bottom?

Read it... It says regular F mount...

See it's not hard to be rude, a jerk, or a smart ***... Besides its all just a rumor. Nothing has been officially announced or acknowledged as being in development. I agree that it would be severely limiting to stick to F-mount but there's a significant investment required in running/developing a separate lens line.

foveon

Sorry, dont want to be unpolite, but its just nonsense to wait for a mirrorless camera with F mount;
there will be an adapter needed to use the F lenses

iiiNelson

Sorry, dont want to be unpolite, but its just nonsense to wait for a mirrorless camera with F mount;
there will be an adapter needed to use the F lenses
I apologize as well but I'm just going off what the rumor said. I have no desire to buy a Nikon mirrorless as I'm very happy with the Sony output/color at base nor do I own any Nikon systems personally.

It's all a rumor and maybe Nikon doesn't see a point to any FF mirrorless since they have an established lens mount and a couple decent sized FF DSLR in the Df and the D750 (which is close to the size of the Pro level APS-C DSLR's.)

As for F mount adapters I don't know if Nikon will do that - some seem pretty critical of the Sony AF adapters because you'd have to use larger SLR lenses. I don't see how some of the critics would give Nikon a pass on that strategy.

Nikon has to release their FF mirrorless as a complete system with small light primes in 16-135 and a full complement of compact f/2.8 zooms that'll fit in the pocket or it'll be a failure that'll ruin the entire photographic industry.

***Okay so that last part is a joke but that's what's commonly said about Sony FE systems.***

V

Vivek

All rumor sites just spew out crap. It is best not to get caught up with what the junk sites say. :lecture: