Site Sponsors

Thread: Nikon Df + 70-200/f4 VR mirror slap?

Post Thanks / Like

Nikon Df + 70-200/f4 VR mirror slap?

I was shooting away happily with the Df + new 70-200/4 VR. Wasn't really paying attention to it at first, but then I happened to chimp and noticed something was wrong. Was looking just like camera shake.. So I checked my settings and it was 1/500 shutter & VR on normal. Rather strange.. So I did a quick test and used MUP handheld for same shot -> no probs at all.

I know with these shutter speeds I could/should turn off VR, but it was a day at the zoo with family & casual snapping.. so it's not something you'd like to ve doing, concentrating on VR settings instead of having fun.

Has anyone else ran into this? I'm thinking mirror slap..

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nikon Df + 70-200/f4 VR mirror slap?

Hard to diagnose the issue without seeing a sample of what you're talking about. After all, this is a photo forum and we even offer free album space so you can upload and share images. So post an example so we can see it please
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I was just back from the trip so didn't have a suitable one at hand. However you can download full size straight out of camera example here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...8/_DSC0918.jpg

It's just been converted in LR6 from NEF and nothing more.

This was shot at 1/250 with VR on. I was aiming for the tigers head and you can immediately see something funny when you look at the "double image" whiskers.

Then similar, but without doubles:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...8/_DSC0982.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...8/_DSC0934.jpg

The first one is also at 1/250 (with mup if I recall correctly) and last one is at 1/400 (also with mup if I recall correctly).

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your blur is side<>side, not up<>down, so my guess it is NOT mirror slap or shutter motion since both travel up<>down...

That leaves a pretty harsh jerk while exposing, possibly including being oof as well, which in turn might exaggerate the motion blur....
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

But then I guess the guestion would be how does using MUP stop that from happening? Jerk + counter jerk? :-)

Also I was leaning against a post with the tiger shot, so it was somewhat supported shot.. and I always half press to focus & engage VR and only after that take the actual shot. And I had several similar shots with similar results.

Truly mind boggling.. I guess I'll do some more testing.

//Juha

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you use a tripod?
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that the test should be VR off/on: I think that on a tripod you are supposed to turn VR off, so if the camera was 'somewhat supported' for the tiger shot, it may be VR-induced blur.

Post Thanks / Like

Arjuna: plausible, I'll test further.

K-H: need to see if I can borrow a suitable one from a friend, mine isn't strong enough for a dslr and outside that I've only got a monopod.