The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Rumor Nikon D850/D900

Lars

Oh the good old days Lars, when we could make 4 different very LARGE prints from a single negative :ROTFL:

I still remember that first Death Valley trip where we met, you and I the lone wolves schlepping huge backpacks with our 8x10 gears and as many as 10 filmholders (GASP!), hand-carrying our massive tripods whilst everyone else was moving around rapidly with the hottest new 2.5 or 4MP DSLRs and 6MP MF digital backs! Also remember the two of us always going in the same direction while everybody went somewhere else and the head instructor getting pissed that we "disappeared" on him LOL!!!
Yep that climb on the ridge by Zabriskie Point before dawn was a bit dangerous in the dark, sorry for risking your lives like that. :grin: Fond memories.

BTW the good old days are still here, as long as I can find someone to process my Ektachrome.... :facesmack:

Lars

Jack, do you think Df has different Bayer filters than D810? I would imagine that the spectral response of each R/G/B filter could affect color separation, nicht?

Swissblad

Am I the only one that still longing for a real D700 update...... compact Pro body, D4S sensor, 8 fps.....

I don't really need more pixels than the D800/D810, and if needed more would take a more careful look at the new Pentax MF.

Hulyss Bowman

Am I the only one that still longing for a real D700 update...... compact Pro body, D4S sensor, 8 fps.....

I don't really need more pixels than the D800/D810, and if needed more would take a more careful look at the new Pentax MF.
That's what I and many many many others want. I really blame Nikon for not releasing it.

Godfrey

Oh the good old days Lars, when we could make 4 different very LARGE prints from a single negative :ROTFL:

I still remember that first Death Valley trip where we met, you and I the lone wolves schlepping huge backpacks with our 8x10 gears and as many as 10 filmholders (GASP!), hand-carrying our massive tripods whilst everyone else was moving around rapidly with the hottest new 2.5 or 4MP DSLRs and 6MP MF digital backs! Also remember the two of us always going in the same direction while everybody went somewhere else and the head instructor getting pissed that we "disappeared" on him LOL!!!
I remember visiting an old friend in 1999 and going on a day shoot with him. He had two Hasselblads, two tripods, a half dozen backs, three lenses, etc. I had the Leica M6TTL with two lenses in my bag and a Minox EC and two rolls of film in my pocket. I didn't use anything but the Minox EC at one site.

I sent him a set of my still life shots from that site. "I like your photos better than mine! Damn you!" was the response. Something about being unencumbered and able to see without distraction ...

G
"Equipment is transitory. Photographs endure."

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, do you think Df has different Bayer filters than D810? I would imagine that the spectral response of each R/G/B filter could affect color separation, nicht?
It could be the dyes on the bayer itself, or perhaps the specific bayer pattern, but I suspect a profile would still "adjust" for either. My guess is it has more to do with each channels total color gamut as it comes off the sensor somehow limiting and/or exaggerating certain hues.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Haven't heard a sound, Peter, and I even somewhat doubt that such a high resolution camera would sell all that well (of course depending on the price), since I doubt that there are enough customers who need more resolution than what we already have by now ?

I think it is about picking the sweet spot pixel pitch (balanced with the resolution needs).

With the present technology I personally prefer a minimum pixel pitch at about ~ 6-7 µm, though I'm willing to go as low as about ~ 5 µm, if that is what it takes to get rid of the blurring filter.
For the time being, i.e. with the present technology, I don't want to go beyond that pixel pitch in the 24x36mm format.
There is of course no absolute right and wrong about pixel size and pixel count, my point is just that we should keep an eye with what the continued pixel race means to the pixel pitch.

dwood

Regardless if we need more pixels or not, (I don't) I'd imagine that the D810 successor will be greater than 36. With Sony at 42 and Canon at 50, it's just the nature of the manufacturing game to keep pace (or exceed) what the other guy is doing. The D810, IMO, is a great camera that's capable of producing superb still images (I don't do video). It's also a very refined camera in use. My one pet peeve with it, and it's a big one for me, is that it doesn't have an articulated LCD. Give me a tilt screen with the same specs as the D810, and I'd be a pretty happy camper. Well, IBIS would be pretty nice too.

markhout

The D810, IMO, is a great camera that's capable of producing superb still images (I don't do video). It's also a very refined camera in use. My one pet peeve with it, and it's a big one for me, is that it doesn't have an articulated LCD. Give me a tilt screen with the same specs as the D810, and I'd be a pretty happy camper. Well, IBIS would be pretty nice too.
I would happily trade a couple of pixels for an electronic viewfinder with focus peaking...

iiiNelson

I'm curious how many people would still be interested if it meant that the D900 would cost ~$4500 (judging from the $1K price jump of the A7R with the new sensor in it.)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm curious how many people would still be interested if it meant that the D900 would cost ~$4500 (judging from the $1K price jump of the A7R with the new sensor in it.)
Nikon would have to offer more than a new sensor to justify a price around $4,500, which Sony also did with the A7RII (IBIS, 4K, better grip). Hybrid viewfinder has been mentioned repeatedly. That would justify it for me, and possibly the image quality we see today at ISO 64 also at higher ISO values, like 200 and 400 or even 800. Fast, on-chip phase detect AF for use with LV and video would be nice, and obviously 4K.

If they include all of this and stuff it into a body with integrated vertical grip and sell it for $4,500, I would be in heaven, and I probably wouldn't be alone there. Unfortunately, that sounds more like $8,000.

V

Vivek

If there is a "hybrid" view finder, we can expect cams with only EVF (likely D7XXX). That is progress! :clap:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If there is a "hybrid" view finder, we can expect cams with only EVF (likely D7XXX). That is progress! :clap:
There is another possibility too of course: the D810 replacement might be a mirrorless camera with a hybrid lens mount rather than a hybrid viewfinder, and a modular construction like the V3 (and the F4). Time will show :)

I just can say that mirrors are a thing of the past. Nikon Canon should follow up Sony in this adventure of the full frame mirrorless.
In other to keep us using same glass for a time just add an AF adapter for their lenses and maybe a Tilt Shift adapter as well.
Am I asking too much?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I still prefer an optical VF. I do like some features in an EVF, but for my regular imaging, EVF doesn't cut it yet.

M

mjr

Morning

I have to agree with you Jack, it's always going to be personal preference but in my opinion, looking at a subject through a good optical viewfinder takes you in to the scene, it feels 3 dimensional and I can feel the image and how it builds up, looking at an EVF, even the latest ones feels 2 dimensional to me, like I'm removed that extra step from the reality, might sound daft but it's the way I feel. I loved having the option of optical and switching to live view on DSLR's, best of both worlds as I work from a tripod most of the time, I would really miss having the option for both. The Leica S viewfinder I have now is just incredible, I don't need electronic aids for focus, it's just so visible that you know you are in focus, it shows how level you are and what settings you have, the only thing good optical view finders don't show is a wysiwyg view like EVF do but if you have even a basic grasp of exposure then why would you need it?

I'm all for advancing technology but for me personally, evf is solving problems that don't exist, give me a good optical viewfinder that lets me see deep in to the scene in a realistic way every time!

Mat

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I just can say that mirrors are a thing of the past. Nikon Canon should follow up Sony in this adventure of the full frame mirrorless.
In other to keep us using same glass for a time just add an AF adapter for their lenses and maybe a Tilt Shift adapter as well.
Am I asking too much?
Last time I checked, DSLR outsold mirrorless 3:1. Maybe most people are living in the past. I consider buying a Blackberry, you know those ancient phones with a keyboard. Looks good together with the antique D810 :)

Hulyss Bowman

Last time I checked, DSLR outsold mirrorless 3:1. Maybe most people are living in the past. I consider buying a Blackberry, you know those ancient phones with a keyboard. Looks good together with the antique D810 :)
Jokes aside..., I know a load of photographers especially in the pro/artist segment (nature travellers, news, reportage, weeding ...). None of them use a so called mirorless. They almost all have a one, for snaps, chilling and backstage, for saving clicks on their main gear witch is roughly 60% Canon 38% Nikon 2%Hassy/Phase. I speak about around 150 ppl I meet in conventions and other places. Those mirorless are slowly sitting in the car because of social media. Now they use more and more their phone for that.

EVF vs OVF :

I recently broke my D700 (it's not dead but need a repair). I have other cameras at my disposal such as Sigma DP2/3, Leica M9P with summi 50 1.4 Asph + summi 35 1.4 Asph, A7r and some lenses. I do not even want to touch this gear. I'm sad and want my babe back because OVF, weight (seriousness ??).
It is also why I sold my fuji XT-1 + lenses system : just gadget for me.

I might get a D810 very soon if NPS isn't quick enough, and, renting it time to time, it is just the best tool a photographer can dream about in this price range. DSLR is far to be dead, OVF is far to be dead, maybe Focal Planer Shutter will die before mirror (and lenses will be upgraded).

Let's talk about technical revolution in 2020.

Also, D810 is pretty rare in the field. Most D800 users were just spoiled and can't really upgrade. D810 in the real wild are not legion.

The whole A7R2D2 extravaganza just let me cold. Really. Imho, it is not a big step forward over even the D800. A D810 is more serious in all regards (price, build, files and so on...). I think ppl are just very happy to buy new stuff, even if the delta with old gear is minimal and, like the stock market today, the morning glory fall pretty quickly. I'm pragmatic; an A7R2D2 is a kind of cat/lizard/parrot... whatever when a D810/5DIII is a working horse.

When you work, you do not bring your cat with you. If you do, you'll always fear to kill it.