The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Rumor Nikon D850/D900

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Anyone could predict the specs listed, and it will appear sooner or later. What would be more interesting is if they bring something really new to the table, like a hybrid viewfinder for use with live view and video.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This is an exciting time and exciting news. I really hope that they come with a 50MP something BSI sensor and as Jorgen mentioned a nice hybrid viewfinder, to finally get everything in one camera - DSLR plus Mirrorless. If the Viewfinder is hybrid, that would allow to flip up the mirror and make use of whatever new on sensor PDAF system just like in the A7RII .... at least one is allowed to dream!

I hope for this to happen sooner than later :toocool:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Peter,

I understand the desire for pushing technical boundaries and being supplied with near limitless options, however I have to ask, how will all that help you make better images than what you now make with say a Nikon D810 or Sony A711?

Myself always had trouble with Nikon focusing screens. As a matter of facts, the focusing seen system in Nikon is obsolete. Canon has a better design on this and is easier to change and install.
Once I try to change my D800 focusing screen and found supplemental masks behind it, plus the fact that I almost damage it.
I think new times call for a change.
Any ways, even if not, it'd be and amazing camera.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Jack,

1) better images if you get more accurate AF - which was always an issue with the D800E
2) better images because of being able to get totally rid of mirror slap while using the EVF
3) much better video as possible now already with most of Sony A7 series - especially flexibility with manual adjustments
4) better IQ because of the use of a hopefully BSI sensor - I was never happy with IQ coming from the D800E and also the D810 I tried did not deliver as e.g.. the Df delivers

so there is hope ...

just my 5c

Peter

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Peter,

I understand the desire for pushing technical boundaries and being supplied with near limitless options, however I have to ask, how will all that help you make better images than what you now make with say a Nikon D810 or Sony A711?
A hybrid viewfinder will be particularly useful for those who do video. Using the viewfinder for that is what I miss the most with the GH3, so much so that I consider carrying a smaller m4/3 camera in addition to my D810. In addition, it gives another option for manual focusing, as Peter mentions, something that can be useful under some circumstance, particularly if peaking is included. All modern DSLR cameras have an LCD overlay anyway, so I don't think it would impact the viewfinder in any negative way, but if it does, that may be one of the reasons why hybrid viewfinders haven't found their place in DSLR cameras yet.

An A7R II is obviously an alternative to this, but then we are back to the discussion about small batteries, the lack of optical viewfinder etc. I changed back to Nikon for several good reasons.

Lars

Nothing on nikonrumors about this, and it's supposedly only 3 months out. Sounds more like someone's pipe dream than a true rumor at this stage.

"From a new source so take this with a grain of salt." Could be anyone making this up then?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I would have actually expected rather a 42MP sensor version, as I thought Nikon might use the same high res sensor as Sony uses in A7RII. Would make lot of sense. And pushing the limits just for the number sake to 50MP is sure a big nonsense.

We will see in a few months ...

engel001

Photorumors has the upcoming Pentax full-frame using Sony's 42 megapixel sensor, according to a Pentax rep. Sony is walking a tightrope, selling leading-edge technology to competitors. If the A7RII sensor is going to Nikon, I would expect that to be at least 6 months out from their own camera launch, which isn't until August.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This is actually a good sign if Sony keeps selling their top of the line sensors to other vendors like Pentax or hopefully also Nikon.

I would very much prefer a Nikon D850/D900 with the 42MP Sony sensor instead of getting another unnecessary 50MP variant with lots of drawbacks, even if it was BSI. The MP count was already more than enough with 36MP and now 42MP is ok, if this needs to be the tribute to trends and time, but IMHO 50MP or even 50+ MP in FF are an overkill with today's state of the art technology - and only Sony can lead currently in this area.

So coming back to 42MP - this seems first time to be really the sweetspot in current times and Sony did that for the A7RII, which in combination with lots of other features makes this camera so much appealing - at least for me.

Now if Nikon only would choose to implement the same sensor and add a great hybrid EVF to their new D850/D900, based on most of the rest from what was great with the D810, this would make the perfect camera for me!

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(...) IMHO 50MP or even 50+ MP in FF are an overkill with today's state of the art technology (...)

I agree, Peter, such new amounts of pixel millions need more space, like e.g. a 33x44mm sensor, which by now ought to be affordable to manufacture :thumbup:

So it's about time to start developing the necessary optics for such a new system mount .-)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
36MP is already so much that I need the D700 for casual photography. I would much rather they improved the image quality at ISO values up to 800 or 1600, making auto ISO a more valuable option even when ultimate image quality is needed. The added resolution when going from 36 to 42 MP is really nothing (the same as going from 7 to 8 MP in the "old" days).

turtle

Well the A7S II will be a wonder for low light modest resolution lovers. I am actually very interested to see what this camera holds. Perhaps Nikon will produce a DF update?

I too think 52MP is pushing things, certainly in the context of the lens line up. There are few Nikon wides that can truly cope with 36mp.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well the A7S II will be a wonder for low light modest resolution lovers. I am actually very interested to see what this camera holds. Perhaps Nikon will produce a DF update?

I too think 52MP is pushing things, certainly in the context of the lens line up. There are few Nikon wides that can truly cope with 36mp.
I still find the D700 sufficient for low light photography. If I want more, there's always the Df and the D4s. Soon, there's the D5 I suppose. Rather than go to ISO morethanamillion, I would like to see ISO 400 or 800 with the quality currently offered by ISO 64.

turtle

Jorgen, if the A7S II has a BSI sensor at, say, 16MP, with the expected IBIS, it could be almost that camera. The main handicap the DSLRs have, regardless of manufacturer, is the lack of IBIS and how that impacts use of non-stabilised lenses.

Being honest, we can all achieve a lot more with our older gear than we sometimes allow ourselves - your D700 being a great example. Mine would be my X100 which resolves far more detail than my Leica Ms with TriX ever did and I know I would take the X100 and GR to India for my next trip well before the 645Z!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, if the A7S II has a BSI sensor at, say, 16MP, with the expected IBIS, it could be almost that camera. The main handicap the DSLRs have, regardless of manufacturer, is the lack of IBIS and how that impacts use of non-stabilised lenses.
All Pentax and Sony DSLR cameras have IBIS, as had the Olympus bodies. Although I agree that IBIS is great, I've rarely missed it. Maybe when I get older...

Lars

I agree, Peter, such new amounts of pixel millions need more space, like e.g. a 33x44mm sensor, which by now ought to be affordable to manufacture :thumbup:

So it's about time to start developing the necessary optics for such a new system mount .-)
Sensor and chip manufacturing is all about tooling cost, fixed for the whole production. So per-chip cost is all about volume. Without demand for a 33x44 sensor (bodies, lenses, systems) volume will be tiny and cost per sensor high. Ho do you compete with the sheer volume of 24x36 lenses?

- - - Updated - - -

36MP is already so much that I need the D700 for casual photography. I would much rather they improved the image quality at ISO values up to 800 or 1600, making auto ISO a more valuable option even when ultimate image quality is needed. The added resolution when going from 36 to 42 MP is really nothing (the same as going from 7 to 8 MP in the "old" days).
Agreed. We need at least 80 Mpx! :D