The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Rumor Nikon D850/D900

PeterA

Love the A series IQ - got an A7R myself-

dislike all the tiny buttons everywhre and the mish mashed logic of everything all the buttons and clunky menus and all the stuff that makes feel ...under invested in manual readings..and everything is so tiny ...meanie weenie tiny - I've got big hands..so I always reach for my 800 because it is just more comfortable. Time for an 810 I think - it is Spring in the air down here and soon there will be some sunshine...and besides I hate not being current.:cry:

BlinkingEye

I still prefer an optical VF. I do like some features in an EVF, but for my regular imaging, EVF doesn't cut it yet.
I agree. It has to be an OVF for sports, birds, etc. There is no EVF that can keep up. I do like an EVF for video though.

I believe Nikon will first test the water with an EVF in a consumer model, to prove validity of the concept then move the EVF into the pro bodies, once the ice is broken and people get use to the idea. Pros won't accept the idea of an EVF right away. There is too much at stake.

I also believe the days of Nikon pro bodies, meaning integrated battery grip, are past with the exclusion of the high burst PJ/Sports camera. A "regular" body is more flexible for the masses, smaller, lighter, etc. Besides that give Nikon something else to sell - the battery grip for those who want one.

synn

Something interesting is happening with Nikon.

All the new lenses they are launching are with electronic diaphragm, like Canon. (Previously only reserved to the PC-E lenses and super telephotos) Could be that they have a long term plan to create a fully electronic mirrorless system. less complications while adapting F mount lenses.

TBH, I would much rather see a mirrorless full frame system from them than another DSLR. The 800/ 810 is pretty much close to how much a DSLR can be refined. They just cannot upsell yet another DSLR to these customers (Like me) , because there really is no good reason to do so.

I am still on the fence about Sony as there is no reputable AF adapter for Nikkors, but a new system from Nikon themselves might do the trick .

Lars

Something interesting is happening with Nikon.

All the new lenses they are launching are with electronic diaphragm, like Canon. (Previously only reserved to the PC-E lenses and super telephotos) Could be that they have a long term plan to create a fully electronic mirrorless system. less complications while adapting F mount lenses.

TBH, I would much rather see a mirrorless full frame system from them than another DSLR. The 800/ 810 is pretty much close to how much a DSLR can be refined. They just cannot upsell yet another DSLR to these customers (Like me) , because there really is no good reason to do so.

I am still on the fence about Sony as there is no reputable AF adapter for Nikkors, but a new system from Nikon themselves might do the trick .
Don't get your hopes up - my 12-24 from 2005 has electronic aperture, nothing new. Canon did this with EOS back in the late 80's. IF anything the upside is the possibility to make adapters to other cameras. I think Nikon's long-term plan is to move away from the mechanical aperture coupling, period.

Lars

Apparently something very interesting coming up in the near future and is not a D810 successor.
New Nikon patent for a Nikkor PC-E 19mm f/4 full frame mirrorless tilt-shift lens.
Read more on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com/2015/12/01/n...irrorless-tilt-shift-lens.aspx/#ixzz3t8DSl4yz

View attachment 114715

Let's hope for the best. If there is the possibility of adapting previous F mount lenses plus other brands would be a winner.
Fingers crossed.
Given Sony's success with the A7 series it's no surprise that Nikon is working in this direction. Still, patents don't mean products - and sometimes patents are for blocking competitors to release products. But let's hope for the best. :)

Now, about a 19 mm mirrorless shift lens... MFT is telecentric by design, I believe? Nikon OTOH cannot go that route if compatibility with F mount is required. Will that have an impact on how the sensor light wells have to handle oblique light? I'm not sure.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Now, about a 19 mm mirrorless shift lens... MFT is telecentric by design, I believe? Nikon OTOH cannot go that route if compatibility with F mount is required. Will that have an impact on how the sensor light wells have to handle oblique light? I'm not sure.
No, FT was telecentric by design, MFT is not, due to the size of the telecentric lenses. With MFT, Olympus and Panasonic actually went in the opposite direction, making many of the lenses dependent on heavy software corrections to save size and weight. The Panasonic 7-14mm is a "victim" of that, while some of the newer "professional" MFT lenses seem to be be better corrected optically, while also growing in size.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Not sure if this rumor is true, but this could shake up the existing camera ecosystem overall .... not only Nikon.

Nikon buying Samsung mirrorless technology:

Hot rumor! Nikon bought Samsung NX mirrorless tech! - mirrorlessrumors

This could also mean new Samsung sensors in Nikon bodies, maybe not only mirrorless over time .... Nikon would then want to compete with Sony!
Makes sense. If I were Nikon, finding an alternative to Sony sensors would be high on the priority list. Being dependent on a competitor for a vital part of a product is never a good idea.

Combining the technologies from Nikon's own 1 Series with Samsung's sounds promising. One can only hope :)

archivue

i wish nikon will produce a mirorless camera soon...

but still some room for a 810s... especialy for the videographer !
4kvideo +a way to linked the body to a 4k screen while recording on a card.+ gps +wifi +enhance Dr
+ new pc-e lenses with a way to save the amount of movements used for auto corrections.
+ a touch screen +a manual white balance with a picker (as leaf db)

Dogs857

I've read through this thread a couple of times now and it really highlights to me the problems camera manufacturers have when trying to develop a new camera.

Do we go mirrorless??
How many MP does the buying public want??
What is the new "must have" that everyone is raving about?? Will that still be relevant in 2 years when the camera actually sees the light of day??

I would hate the new Nikons to have an EVF. For me they are horrible, and all I can think about is the old warnings from my youth "don't sit too close to the TV or you will ruin your eyesight". Well this is a mini TV jammed right against my eye. I would not be surprised if in a few years we find out they are really bad for you, like iPhones and sleeping on railway tracks. Mirror slap is far less of an issue now than in the past, and you should always shoot in mirror lock up anyway for critical work. I have never had a time where I felt my walk around shots were ruined by mirror slap at all. Poor framing, bad light, shutter speed too slow / fast yes but never mirror slap.

I can see the new camera being a 50MP or so beast because Canon have one so Nikon must. Regardless of whether it is what anyone needs or not there will always be a market out there for the "biggest and best".

The last true photographers camera that Nikon produced for me was the D3x because it didn't have bloody video. Why can't they just produce a camera version that is dedicated to video and one for photography?? I love my Df because it doesn't have video either. Sure, putting video into cameras doesn't really concern me as I never use it, but I am paying for it regardless. I would not knock back a camera because it has video, but to me it's like putting a gun rack into every new car sold. Sure some people could find it handy but a lot of us would just not need it.

This gets back to my first point though, I hate video in cameras, others love the idea. Who do the manufacturers listen to??

I would be more excited to see Canon / Nikon / Sony take on MF and really shake that side up for a while. Yes it may mean a lot more R&D for new lenses etc but it would make it far more affordable for the average man.

My 0.02c

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I would love to see Nikon or Canon improve on their viewfinder so it can match the brightness of the Leica S viewfinder, which in my opinion is the best viewfinder I have used on any DSLR. The first time I put an S to my eye I was "wowed" by how crisp and bright the image was.

Lars

This thread might seem like one discussion, but there's a few topics being discussed in parallel:
- Personal needs/wants
- Manufacturer product strategy
- Product features comparison

Nothing wrong with that, as long as we're all aware of what topic we are discussing.

For example I fully expect an upgrade to D810 with 4K video at some point in time - I personally couldn't care less about the feature but since I am vested in the Nikon ecosystem it's important for me that Nikon goes that route to defend/extend its market share against Sony and others.

And yes, I ruined my eyesight at the age of six sitting too close to the TV.

This is really complex as to please most people out there, I love the Pentaprism during the day, I love the EVF during dark hours, I don't like mirror boxes, I like the smoothness of Nikon D800-810 files, I don't like the same in Sony but I like Sony color the best. The A7R is too small in my hands, The D800 is too heavy and cumbersome in my bag....

AlexLF

I don't get the love of EVF-only camera. What could be better than OVF + good LCD?
I might agree on lighter bodies but if you think about it, the D3x was just perfect! I personally miss it.
So, D4x + good (GREAT) LCD with shade would be a killer cam for me. Oh, and Nikon shouldn't forget about manual focus aiding system... for Otus lenses... cough :)

Same goes regarding new D900 body. Keep the size but make it lighter if it's possible.
Those who do not agree, go to ... GYM! :))

archivue

The last true photographers camera that Nikon produced for me was the D3x because it didn't have bloody video. Why can't they just produce a camera version that is dedicated to video and one for photography?? I love my Df because it doesn't have video either. Sure, putting video into cameras doesn't really concern me as I never use it, but I am paying for it regardless. I would not knock back a camera because it has video, but to me it's like putting a gun rack into every new car sold. Sure some people could find it handy but a lot of us would just not need it.

This gets back to my first point though, I hate video in cameras, others love the idea. Who do the manufacturers listen to??
My 0.02c

Here, in france as professionnal photographers we face more and more demands like : "and in the same time, i will need just a little video for my website..."
one year ago, my answer was... sorry i'm a photographer... but nowadays, business is so low, that you can't afford to loose a client !
And, we don't want to carry an other camera ! And it's just few frames, not a really a cinematographic stuff...

I don't think you will pay less for you "800P" photo camera only, because they will need to produce a 800v video at the same time... the research will be paid anyway, and producing two different camera and having to deal with two different stock, firmware update isn't coast effective !

So, in a way, the video in your camera is just free of charge for you !

And when you want to resell it, it's easier sometimes !

Maybe you should buy a digital back... they are photo only tools... but they aren't cheaper by the way !

Hulyss Bowman

Here, in france as professionnal photographers we face more and more demands like : "and in the same time, i will need just a little video for my website..."
one year ago, my answer was... sorry i'm a photographer... but nowadays, business is so low, that you can't afford to loose a client !
And, we don't want to carry an other camera ! And it's just few frames, not a really a cinematographic stuff...

I don't think you will pay less for you "800P" photo camera only, because they will need to produce a 800v video at the same time... the research will be paid anyway, and producing two different camera and having to deal with two different stock, firmware update isn't coast effective !

So, in a way, the video in your camera is just free of charge for you !

And when you want to resell it, it's easier sometimes !

Maybe you should buy a digital back... they are photo only tools... but they aren't cheaper by the way !
:D my answer still is "Sorry I'm a photographer and I can afford to lose a client". I stopped Hulyss Bowman as an enterprise and now I'm Author. First, I make far more money selling prints than any packshoot or weeding and second I keep my creativity out of stress especially while working with a real salary and social protection. I'm French also so you know what I mean :) Killing the enterprise was a sacrifice ? no way, I should have done it before. The market have changed and now ppl are more used to buy liddle food than real food, I call it "mediocre culture". 90% of my print sale is out of France... unbelievable.

On topic now, I think that Nikon really bought some segments of Samsung technology. Samsung sold it and there where a sort of giant battle between brands in the background, Canon and Nikon desperately want to buy new tech and brevets. The rumor is so big and unbelievable that it is probably true.

I think I made the good choice to put a bet on Nikon :)

Also, since a year or more, fervent Nikon guys like Thom Hogan started to "bash" Nikon. From my point of view, Nikon do a pretty darn good job in the actual context. Ok, the entry level FX line was/is a fiasco... because it is entry level... The Df seems to be crippled BUT is a cool camera with remarkable sensor. The D4/D4s, as usual, is perfect. The D800e and D810 are more than we need. At a lens level we have more than what we need (maybe a very wide TS ?? but for a minority). The 58 f1.4 is awesome, the 300f4PF is awesome, the new 24-70 is very good, the f1.8 new line is perfect and we still have all the N lenses who work like charm. The future for Nikon is bright, I have no doubt about that.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
:D my answer still is "Sorry I'm a photographer and I can afford to lose a client". I stopped Hulyss Bowman as an enterprise and now I'm Author. First, I make far more money selling prints than any packshoot or weeding and second I keep my creativity out of stress especially while working with a real salary and social protection. I'm French also so you know what I mean :) Killing the enterprise was a sacrifice ? no way, I should have done it before. The market have changed and now ppl are more used to buy liddle food than real food, I call it "mediocre culture". 90% of my print sale is out of France... unbelievable.

On topic now, I think that Nikon really bought some segments of Samsung technology. Samsung sold it and there where a sort of giant battle between brands in the background, Canon and Nikon desperately want to buy new tech and brevets. The rumor is so big and unbelievable that it is probably true.

I think I made the good choice to put a bet on Nikon :)
I fully understand your business philosophy, although I am not French :D

I have the same feeling like you WRT battle for missorless in the background. Canon and Nikon desperately need this tech and while I would think that Canon has much more resources (money) to develop from scratch compared to Nikon, for both companies it is pretty late given the current evolution and state of the market.

So if this rumor turns out to be true, then it is for sure good to be in the Nikon camp. Great I am and although I love my D810, a Nikon FF mirrorless ala Leica SL would be a welcome product. hopefully sooner than later.

Only issue I currently have - I tested the Leica SL with my M lenses and I love this camera, so I will most definitely buy one as soon as funds allow. But then again, I always used 2 systems during most of my photography life and most periods these were Leica and Nikon - so maybe finally I am back again and would have finally landed - hope dies last.