Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Rumor Nikon D850/D900

Post Thanks / Like

New Rumor Nikon D850/D900

Apparently there's movement on Nikon side to compete with Canon and Sony high MP cameras.

Nikon D850 / D900 Rumored Specification NEW CAMERA

Provably not the right specifications but rumors nowadays turn into reality.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New Rumor Nikon D850/D900

Anyone could predict the specs listed, and it will appear sooner or later. What would be more interesting is if they bring something really new to the table, like a hybrid viewfinder for use with live view and video.

Post Thanks / Like

This is an exciting time and exciting news. I really hope that they come with a 50MP something BSI sensor and as Jorgen mentioned a nice hybrid viewfinder, to finally get everything in one camera - DSLR plus Mirrorless. If the Viewfinder is hybrid, that would allow to flip up the mirror and make use of whatever new on sensor PDAF system just like in the A7RII .... at least one is allowed to dream!

I hope for this to happen sooner than later

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter,

I understand the desire for pushing technical boundaries and being supplied with near limitless options, however I have to ask, how will all that help you make better images than what you now make with say a Nikon D810 or Sony A711?
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Myself always had trouble with Nikon focusing screens. As a matter of facts, the focusing seen system in Nikon is obsolete. Canon has a better design on this and is easier to change and install.
    Once I try to change my D800 focusing screen and found supplemental masks behind it, plus the fact that I almost damage it.
    I think new times call for a change.
    Any ways, even if not, it'd be and amazing camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Jack,

1) better images if you get more accurate AF - which was always an issue with the D800E
    2) better images because of being able to get totally rid of mirror slap while using the EVF
    3) much better video as possible now already with most of Sony A7 series - especially flexibility with manual adjustments
    4) better IQ because of the use of a hopefully BSI sensor - I was never happy with IQ coming from the D800E and also the D810 I tried did not deliver as e.g.. the Df delivers

so there is hope ...

just my 5c

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Peter,

I understand the desire for pushing technical boundaries and being supplied with near limitless options, however I have to ask, how will all that help you make better images than what you now make with say a Nikon D810 or Sony A711?
    A hybrid viewfinder will be particularly useful for those who do video. Using the viewfinder for that is what I miss the most with the GH3, so much so that I consider carrying a smaller m4/3 camera in addition to my D810. In addition, it gives another option for manual focusing, as Peter mentions, something that can be useful under some circumstance, particularly if peaking is included. All modern DSLR cameras have an LCD overlay anyway, so I don't think it would impact the viewfinder in any negative way, but if it does, that may be one of the reasons why hybrid viewfinders haven't found their place in DSLR cameras yet.

An A7R II is obviously an alternative to this, but then we are back to the discussion about small batteries, the lack of optical viewfinder etc. I changed back to Nikon for several good reasons.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nothing on nikonrumors about this, and it's supposedly only 3 months out. Sounds more like someone's pipe dream than a true rumor at this stage.

"From a new source so take this with a grain of salt." Could be anyone making this up then?
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

I would have actually expected rather a 42MP sensor version, as I thought Nikon might use the same high res sensor as Sony uses in A7RII. Would make lot of sense. And pushing the limits just for the number sake to 50MP is sure a big nonsense.

We will see in a few months ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They can wait a few years if they want. The D810 leaves me with little to complain about.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Photorumors has the upcoming Pentax full-frame using Sony's 42 megapixel sensor, according to a Pentax rep. Sony is walking a tightrope, selling leading-edge technology to competitors. If the A7RII sensor is going to Nikon, I would expect that to be at least 6 months out from their own camera launch, which isn't until August.

Post Thanks / Like

This is actually a good sign if Sony keeps selling their top of the line sensors to other vendors like Pentax or hopefully also Nikon.

I would very much prefer a Nikon D850/D900 with the 42MP Sony sensor instead of getting another unnecessary 50MP variant with lots of drawbacks, even if it was BSI. The MP count was already more than enough with 36MP and now 42MP is ok, if this needs to be the tribute to trends and time, but IMHO 50MP or even 50+ MP in FF are an overkill with today's state of the art technology - and only Sony can lead currently in this area.

So coming back to 42MP - this seems first time to be really the sweetspot in current times and Sony did that for the A7RII, which in combination with lots of other features makes this camera so much appealing - at least for me.

Now if Nikon only would choose to implement the same sensor and add a great hybrid EVF to their new D850/D900, based on most of the rest from what was great with the D810, this would make the perfect camera for me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    (...) IMHO 50MP or even 50+ MP in FF are an overkill with today's state of the art technology (...)

I agree, Peter, such new amounts of pixel millions need more space, like e.g. a 33x44mm sensor, which by now ought to be affordable to manufacture

So it's about time to start developing the necessary optics for such a new system mount .-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

36MP is already so much that I need the D700 for casual photography. I would much rather they improved the image quality at ISO values up to 800 or 1600, making auto ISO a more valuable option even when ultimate image quality is needed. The added resolution when going from 36 to 42 MP is really nothing (the same as going from 7 to 8 MP in the "old" days).
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well the A7S II will be a wonder for low light modest resolution lovers. I am actually very interested to see what this camera holds. Perhaps Nikon will produce a DF update?

I too think 52MP is pushing things, certainly in the context of the lens line up. There are few Nikon wides that can truly cope with 36mp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Well the A7S II will be a wonder for low light modest resolution lovers. I am actually very interested to see what this camera holds. Perhaps Nikon will produce a DF update?

I too think 52MP is pushing things, certainly in the context of the lens line up. There are few Nikon wides that can truly cope with 36mp.
    I still find the D700 sufficient for low light photography. If I want more, there's always the Df and the D4s. Soon, there's the D5 I suppose. Rather than go to ISO morethanamillion, I would like to see ISO 400 or 800 with the quality currently offered by ISO 64.

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen, if the A7S II has a BSI sensor at, say, 16MP, with the expected IBIS, it could be almost that camera. The main handicap the DSLRs have, regardless of manufacturer, is the lack of IBIS and how that impacts use of non-stabilised lenses.

Being honest, we can all achieve a lot more with our older gear than we sometimes allow ourselves - your D700 being a great example. Mine would be my X100 which resolves far more detail than my Leica Ms with TriX ever did and I know I would take the X100 and GR to India for my next trip well before the 645Z!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Jorgen, if the A7S II has a BSI sensor at, say, 16MP, with the expected IBIS, it could be almost that camera. The main handicap the DSLRs have, regardless of manufacturer, is the lack of IBIS and how that impacts use of non-stabilised lenses.
    All Pentax and Sony DSLR cameras have IBIS, as had the Olympus bodies. Although I agree that IBIS is great, I've rarely missed it. Maybe when I get older...

Post Thanks / Like

I'd forgotten about IBIS on the those! I wonder why Canikon have not adopted it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    I agree, Peter, such new amounts of pixel millions need more space, like e.g. a 33x44mm sensor, which by now ought to be affordable to manufacture

So it's about time to start developing the necessary optics for such a new system mount .-)
    Sensor and chip manufacturing is all about tooling cost, fixed for the whole production. So per-chip cost is all about volume. Without demand for a 33x44 sensor (bodies, lenses, systems) volume will be tiny and cost per sensor high. Ho do you compete with the sheer volume of 24x36 lenses?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    36MP is already so much that I need the D700 for casual photography. I would much rather they improved the image quality at ISO values up to 800 or 1600, making auto ISO a more valuable option even when ultimate image quality is needed. The added resolution when going from 36 to 42 MP is really nothing (the same as going from 7 to 8 MP in the "old" days).
    Agreed. We need at least 80 Mpx!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my. Another round of megapixel warrioring... Please wake me after it ships.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Going back to the supposed rumor... Of course Nikon like all manufacturers are working on new products. It could be argued that D810 still is the benchmark in its category depending on how you define it, my guess is it's going to be at least 12-18 months until there is a strong need for an improved product. Perhaps videographers see things differently but they have different criteria. Just my opinion.

If I would venture a guess, we could perhaps see the next generation next spring, with 4K video and a slightly higher still resolution - 42 or perhaps 50 Mpx to match Canon to keep the fanboys at bay - plus some other evolutionary tweaks, none of which would be a game changer.

Of course, my wish list would look quite different - I'd like to see some more daring features: a truly good digital viewfinder (at least FHD, or "6 million dots" in marketing terms), silent shutter, some real innovation on the in-camera HDR side, stuff like that. As Jorgen says, the D810 is good enough to cover most bases as it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Peter,

Wise man said !

For the ones wanting IBIS inside pro Nikon bodys ... be aware this technology make your camera fragile (I'll won't buy it). I broke two k5 because IBIS do not like vibrations/shocks. Some TV operators told me "be careful and do not go too close to the speakers; you'll break your camera". The result is those guys was spot on. You can't trust it till it happen.

For the ones wanting more pixels : For god shakes, buy into MF.

A serious modern 35mm photographer who's not happy with what pull out a D810 have some serious problems, and those problems are linked to all but not the camera.

So yea, a good Nikon move can be a 16/18MP BSI (or just a 18MP renesas sensor) but the actual one is absolutely perfect. How come a man (me ) still using a D700 as his main camera, today in 2015/2016 ? Does my clients are less exigent than US clients ? I don't think so.

People/clients care about your skills, not your gear. We, photographers are the ONLY ONES who care about gear and almost start internet wars to justifies the madness of our Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post
    Wise man said !

For the ones wanting IBIS inside pro Nikon bodys ... be aware this technology make your camera fragile (I'll won't buy it). I broke two k5 because IBIS do not like vibrations/shocks. Some TV operators told me "be careful and do not go too close to the speakers; you'll break your camera". The result is those guys was spot on. You can't trust it till it happen.

For the ones wanting more pixels : For god shakes, buy into MF.

A serious modern 35mm photographer who's not happy with what pull out a D810 have some serious problems, and those problems are linked to all but not the camera.

So yea, a good Nikon move can be a 16/18MP BSI (or just a 18MP renesas sensor) but the actual one is absolutely perfect. How come a man (me ) still using a D700 as his main camera, today in 2015/2016 ? Does my clients are less exigent than US clients ? I don't think so.

People/clients care about your skills, not your gear. We, photographers are the ONLY ONES who care about gear and almost start internet wars to justifies the madness of our Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
    Several answers

1) I never ever had any issue with IBIS form Olympus, cannot speak for FF IBIS though - also I think you cannot compare IBIS form vendor A with IBIS from vendor B. But to end this part of the discussion - I do not expect IBIS in a Nikon FF body anyway ...

2) The MP question/race - this is something coming unfortunately from the vendors, as they tend to still compete in this area. And Nikon was the vendor who started this race with their D800/D800E 3 years ago, when most people were just hoping for something in the 24MP range, but that would obviously not have been cool enough - so here we go Nikon, now you have to fight with the ghosts you called up yourself. I for myself never really needed the 36MP of my D800E, besides the fact that this camera was pretty slow in comparison to FF Nikons with up to 24MP. But unfortunately we cannot end this MP race from our side, so it is useless to continue discussing this ...

3) D810 - if you compare the IQ output from the D810 to that from the Df, the Df wins hands down. Not that you cannot make the D810 sing as well, but it requires much more effort in post processing, at least in LR and C1Pro as the Df. So for a photographer who wants to spend more time behind the camera and not the computer this the Df is sure the better choice if high MP count is not needed.

4) Fully agree that a good 18-20MP BSI sensor would be great, guess this is what will at least come in the D5, but then again the D5 is not for me as I am not willing to spend as much money and carry as much weight. If they bring a Df2 with same sensor and video (yes I need more video lately and would only like to have/use one camera body) then this would be the best camera for lot of folks.

5) GAS - fully agree to that and sometimes hard to overcome

Hope that clarifies some issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post

Exactly! In fact, just think how many times we have had a client choose one of our less technically perfect images over the technically perfect one because "they liked it better" ??? Seriously happens a lot. They don't care what camera gear you show up as long as it doesn't look like a toy and you deliver. And then anything at around 16 or more MP is at least as good and generally better than anything we ever delivered off of medium format film...

/rant
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

2) The MP question/race - this is something coming unfortunately from the vendors, as they tend to still compete in this area. And Nikon was the vendor who started this race with their D800/D800E 3 years ago, when most people were just hoping for something in the 24MP range, but that would obviously not have been cool enough - so here we go Nikon, now you have to fight with the ghosts you called up yourself. I for myself never really needed the 36MP of my D800E, besides the fact that this camera was pretty slow in comparison to FF Nikons with up to 24MP. But unfortunately we cannot end this MP race from our side, so it is useless to continue discussing this ...
    Uh no, Canon started it several years back with the 1Ds... Oh, and I personally appreciate having the 36MP my D810 offers. Yes it meant I had to buy some new glass to take fuller advantage of them, but the results have been worth it for me. But they have not made me any better of an artist... Finally, going 36MP was a 50% jump in the day, where 42.5MP is like a 15% increase today -- and if history serves will be a marginal increase to any usable output quality. The new sensor may or may not have some other special characteristics I like, we will see.

3) D810 - if you compare the IQ output from the D810 to that from the Df, the Df wins hands down.
    I'm calling BS on this, it simply isn't true. Yes, the Df has a unique look to it, but I feel it is more the combination color response and noise character that gives it a unique quality we like (and some of us like the retro body styling too ). Even then I can pretty easily mimic the Df color palette and a surprising amount of the noise character in the D810 using C1, so a lot of even that difference goes away.

When the new Nikon body comes out, I will probably buy one just because I'm a gear idiot and like to be current ().
    Jack

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"I'm a gear idiot." At least you're specialized. Better than being a full spectrum idiot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly! In fact, just think how many times we have had a client choose one of our less technically perfect images over the technically perfect one because "they liked it better" ??? Seriously happens a lot. They don't care what camera gear you show up as long as it doesn't look like a toy and you deliver. And then anything at around 16 or more MP is at least as good and generally better than anything we ever delivered off of medium format film...

/rant
    Yep MF slides looked far better than 35mm on the light table - major selling point. No so with digital.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW this whole thread bugs me - I'm just about to order a D810.

Post Thanks / Like

Uh no, Canon started it several years back with the 1Ds... Oh, and I personally appreciate having the 36MP my D810 offers. Yes it meant I had to buy some new glass to take fuller advantage of them, but the results have been worth it for me. But they have not made me any better of an artist... Finally, going 36MP was a 50% jump in the day, where 42.5MP is like a 15% increase today -- and if history serves will be a marginal increase to any usable output quality. The new sensor may or may not have some other special characteristics I like, we will see.

I'm calling BS on this, it simply isn't true. Yes, the Df has a unique look to it, but I feel it is more the combination color response and noise character that gives it a unique quality we like (and some of us like the retro body styling too ). Even then I can pretty easily mimic the Df color palette and a surprising amount of the noise character in the D810 using C1, so a lot of even that difference goes away.

When the new Nikon body comes out, I will probably buy one just because I'm a gear idiot and like to be current ().
    Depends on what you see/define as starting the race, I would consider the huge increase from 20MP to 36MP which happened with the introduction of the D800/D800E as the real start of that race - but that is bean counting anyways.

Having said that - being a similar gear idiot at least I will most likely go for the new 42MP Nikon as soon as it arrives.

WRT D810 - I understand that you like/prefer it's output, but I it is easier to get the IQ I prefer from the Df for ME as it was from the D800E and what I have seen from my D810 trials there is not too much difference. I do agree - and we all know this - that we can mimic almost every output in a decent RAW converter for whatever we like, but as I am rather lazy I prefer as less post processing work as possible. But I do agree if one needs (or in many cases they think that they need) 36MP resolution, then the D810 is currently the perfect tool in DSLR land. And if there would be more difference for me compared to the D800E then I would for sure shoot one too - but then this is subjective of course again.

Post Thanks / Like

The only new release from Nikon to pique my interest would be a FF mirrorless in F mount. Until that happens my D810 will soldier on. In addition, like Hulyss said, if you want more than 36mp move to MF, which is what I would be more likely to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Several answers

3) D810 - if you compare the IQ output from the D810 to that from the Df, the Df wins hands down. Not that you cannot make the D810 sing as well, but it requires much more effort in post processing, at least in LR and C1Pro as the Df. So for a photographer who wants to spend more time behind the camera and not the computer this the Df is sure the better choice if high MP count is not needed.
    So basically Df images subjectively look better straight out of the camera? Or are there specific technical aspects to the in-camera PP? I understand Jack's view, but not everyone is (or aspires to be) a PP geek. So results straight out of the camera are important as well as PP potential.

Tying back to the thread subject, I would venture to guess that any PP tweaks Nikon did to improve Df would trickle over to new pro bodies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrew View Post
    The only new release from Nikon to pique my interest would be a FF mirrorless in F mount. Until that happens my D810 will soldier on. In addition, like Hulyss said, if you want more than 36mp move to MF, which is what I would be more likely to do.
    Such a design could do away with the viewfinder and some weight related to mirror, but the body wouldn't be smaller (still as thick). So it wouldn't compare to an A7 in size.

Certainly an interesting discussion topic though. If I was Nikon I would go for an A7-like body with a new mount, and an adapter (basically a barrel) for F lenses. Then start making more compact lenses for the new mount. No mechanical AF just AF with G lenses.

As for MP, I'm all for higher res cameras - this pushes lens designers to make better lenses, and all other parts of the system get a closer look as well. All photographers win, even those who do not buy the highest res cameras.

Besides, I made myself a promise when I started with 8x10" film in 2002 - I'd retire the 8x10 when I can get a good 50 MP image out of a Nikon body. Almost there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But I do agree if one needs (or in many cases they think that they need) 36MP resolution, then the D810 is currently the perfect tool in DSLR land.
    Once you learn to appreciate cropping you will never have enough resolution.

Another demand for higher resolution comes from panoramics. The letterbox format changes the way we look at an image, rather than a composition in a 4:5 frame we tend to see multiple directions of view, and we tend to look closer at each view. So a panoramic should not be seen as a crop but rather as an extended frame to cover more to the sides (the XPan got that part right) - basically a panoramic print needs to be much larger than a 4:5 print to work at the same viewing distance. So IMO if you for example like 3K pixels vertically (12" in print) then your 3:1 pano needs 9K pixels horizontally which the D810 cannot deliver. Add cropping and you realize that the megapixel race is far from over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Once you learn to appreciate cropping you will never have enough resolution.

Another demand for higher resolution comes from panoramics. The letterbox format changes the way we look at an image, rather than a composition in a 4:5 frame we tend to see multiple directions of view, and we tend to look closer at each view. So a panoramic should not be seen as a crop but rather as an extended frame to cover more to the sides (the XPan got that part right) - basically a panoramic print needs to be much larger than a 4:5 print to work at the same viewing distance. So IMO if you for example like 3K pixels vertically (12" in print) then your 3:1 pano needs 9K pixels horizontally which the D810 cannot deliver. Add cropping and you realize that the megapixel race is far from over.

In this case you obviously are someone who needs 36MP+
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In this case you obviously are someone who needs 36MP+
    Yep I'm damaged from 8x10 the point though is that it's good for everyone that some of us want more resolution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW this whole thread bugs me - I'm just about to order a D810.
    Lars, don't even hesitate a second, you will love it for many years to come -- even when it becomes back-up to whatever new model you get!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can't speak for the Df, since I don't own it. Still, I have to say that straight out of the camera, the RAW files from the D700 look more like finished files than those from the D810. When that is said, no files I've worked with have been so easy to get into the shape I want as the D810 files. Most of the time, a few preset parameters in ACR will do the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

WRT raw files, and looks "off the sensor" when opened in just about any raw converter...

Firstly, the biggest difference you'll see out of the gate between a Df and D8xx is contrast, and more specifically, clean, good blacks. Relative to the Df, the D8xx series has more DR and this shows in the raw files, off the sensor, which very often need black added to "pop." Once you set that that, a major "difference" between your Df and the D8xx disappears.

Secondly, is the color response or gamma of each channel from the sensor itself. Now this can be different from different raw converters per a profile, but is often set to replicate the manufacturers definition of "neutral" for that cam by whoever raw. In the case of the Df, *my take is* its sensor renders slightly more saturated blues, and slightly desaturated reds and greens, with greens also tending a wee bit toward cyan as compared to the D810 rendering. In fact, I greatly prefer the D810 as my landscape cam for it's ability to separate subtle greens much like MF digital backs do. Anyway, that color palette difference gives the Df a "look" that reminds some of us older photogs (okay, ME) of when we shot Kodak Ektachrome or older Vericolor film emulsions -- and I suspect we like that aspect, kind of like remembering a first kiss.

[flamesuit]
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yep I'm damaged from 8x10
    Oh the good old days Lars, when we could make 4 different very LARGE prints from a single negative

I still remember that first Death Valley trip where we met, you and I the lone wolves schlepping huge backpacks with our 8x10 gears and as many as 10 filmholders (GASP!), hand-carrying our massive tripods whilst everyone else was moving around rapidly with the hottest new 2.5 or 4MP DSLRs and 6MP MF digital backs! Also remember the two of us always going in the same direction while everybody went somewhere else and the head instructor getting pissed that we "disappeared" on him LOL!!!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh the good old days Lars, when we could make 4 different very LARGE prints from a single negative

I still remember that first Death Valley trip where we met, you and I the lone wolves schlepping huge backpacks with our 8x10 gears and as many as 10 filmholders (GASP!), hand-carrying our massive tripods whilst everyone else was moving around rapidly with the hottest new 2.5 or 4MP DSLRs and 6MP MF digital backs! Also remember the two of us always going in the same direction while everybody went somewhere else and the head instructor getting pissed that we "disappeared" on him LOL!!!
    Yep that climb on the ridge by Zabriskie Point before dawn was a bit dangerous in the dark, sorry for risking your lives like that. Fond memories.

BTW the good old days are still here, as long as I can find someone to process my Ektachrome....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, do you think Df has different Bayer filters than D810? I would imagine that the spectral response of each R/G/B filter could affect color separation, nicht?

Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only one that still longing for a real D700 update...... compact Pro body, D4S sensor, 8 fps.....

I don't really need more pixels than the D800/D810, and if needed more would take a more careful look at the new Pentax MF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swissblad View Post
    Am I the only one that still longing for a real D700 update...... compact Pro body, D4S sensor, 8 fps.....

I don't really need more pixels than the D800/D810, and if needed more would take a more careful look at the new Pentax MF.
    That's what I and many many many others want. I really blame Nikon for not releasing it.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember visiting an old friend in 1999 and going on a day shoot with him. He had two Hasselblads, two tripods, a half dozen backs, three lenses, etc. I had the Leica M6TTL with two lenses in my bag and a Minox EC and two rolls of film in my pocket. I didn't use anything but the Minox EC at one site.

I sent him a set of my still life shots from that site. "I like your photos better than mine! Damn you!" was the response. Something about being unencumbered and able to see without distraction ...

G
    "Equipment is transitory. Photographs endure."
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, do you think Df has different Bayer filters than D810? I would imagine that the spectral response of each R/G/B filter could affect color separation, nicht?
    It could be the dyes on the bayer itself, or perhaps the specific bayer pattern, but I suspect a profile would still "adjust" for either. My guess is it has more to do with each channels total color gamut as it comes off the sensor somehow limiting and/or exaggerating certain hues.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Any news on the D850/D900 front?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New Rumor Nikon D850/D900

Haven't heard a sound, Peter, and I even somewhat doubt that such a high resolution camera would sell all that well (of course depending on the price), since I doubt that there are enough customers who need more resolution than what we already have by now ?

I think it is about picking the sweet spot pixel pitch (balanced with the resolution needs).

With the present technology I personally prefer a minimum pixel pitch at about ~ 6-7 m, though I'm willing to go as low as about ~ 5 m, if that is what it takes to get rid of the blurring filter.
    For the time being, i.e. with the present technology, I don't want to go beyond that pixel pitch in the 24x36mm format.
    There is of course no absolute right and wrong about pixel size and pixel count, my point is just that we should keep an eye with what the continued pixel race means to the pixel pitch.

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Regardless if we need more pixels or not, (I don't) I'd imagine that the D810 successor will be greater than 36. With Sony at 42 and Canon at 50, it's just the nature of the manufacturing game to keep pace (or exceed) what the other guy is doing. The D810, IMO, is a great camera that's capable of producing superb still images (I don't do video). It's also a very refined camera in use. My one pet peeve with it, and it's a big one for me, is that it doesn't have an articulated LCD. Give me a tilt screen with the same specs as the D810, and I'd be a pretty happy camper. Well, IBIS would be pretty nice too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images