The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Manfrotto Digital Director

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nice for photography, but with the iPad included, it's around 1 kilogram. For those who don't have an iPad, the investment will also be rather high, at least a thousand dollars. I tried to find detailed technical description of it's capabilities, but apart for the video, they are rather scarce.

For video, I would prefer a dedicated video monitor that uses the HDMI stream from the camera and that includes all the video features. This one from Blackmagic looks very promising (except that it uses Canon batteries):

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicvideoassist

It's much lighter, will mount on the hot shoe and costs less than $500... just :)
It also works with the new Blackmagic Micro cameras, which are very good value for money and extremely compact.

Robaloney

I have a Digital Director that I bought a few months ago...they had just become available at B&H...and from the beginning had connectivity problems. I tapped the cord to my 5D as that connection seemed loose, and sometimes turned things off and on and would get back connectivity. However now I cannot connect at all. When I go into my ipad settings it says I am trying to connect to a Nikon and, again, I have a Canon 5D III. Anyone have similar problems or suggestions? An, BTW, when the DD does work it works well...I really like it.

Swissblad

Thanks for the feedback.

I have similar problems at the moment connecting my Fuji XT-1 via its Wifi link to my iPad....... modern technology.....:loco:

I think I'll wait till they issue a 2nd version.

robmac

Use the CamRanger when need it. Inexpensive and works well if not looking for a wired HDMI monitor. Just remember to remove battery as unit will slowly discharge battery even when off.