The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D4s Exposure Issues

I just purchased a brand new Nikon D4s. I normally shoot Alpa...

This is crazy. But my D4s is changing exposures between shots....

Some come out dark, others brighter. I can shoot on High speed continuous shooting, and there are huge differences in exposure between them.

I tried this with an older 200 f/2 and a brand new 70-200 f4.

Still same thing.

...And then a couple hours later, it doesn't do it anymore. I played with some settings in the menus. But I don't think I changed anything that would have made this happen. Is there a setting that auto adjusts exposures?

Leigh

I had exactly the same issue with my D800E.

It turns out I had activated exposure bracketing, and didn't realize it.

When I figured that out and turned it off, sanity returned.

- Leigh

- Leigh
Its not that... the photos are completely different. After looking closer I noticed that the dark spots are not consistent throughout and they are random... as if there is a cockroach walking around on my sensor....

- Leigh

Here are some example pictures to prove it.

All first series taken with 200 f2 manual (sorry about mis focus it was dark and manual focus) 5000 iso f2 1/800 sec

_DSC0186.jpg_DSC0187.jpg_DSC0188.jpg_DSC0189.jpg_DSC0190.jpg_DSC0191.jpg_DSC0192.jpg_DSC0193.jpg_DSC0240.jpg

And when I thought it could be the lens, I put on a brand new 70-200 f4

All taken at iso 5000 f4 1/250 sec

Here are you can really see that the dark areas are inconsistent and not an exposure bracketing problem.

_DSC0241.jpg_DSC0242.jpg_DSC0243.jpg_DSC0244.jpg_DSC0240.jpg

- Leigh

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I tried to find a hint about a user setting error by investigating the Exif information in the files, but I couldn't find any exposure differences between the darkest image and the brightest image. Strange.

Maybe try Restoring the Default Settings with the Two-Button Reset: hold the ISO and WB buttons down together for more than two seconds, both buttons are marked by a green dot. The control panels turn off briefly while settings are reset (p. 211 in the manual).

Or see page 301 about resetting to the standard settings via the menu.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Despite how much I like your "cockroach-walking-around-on-the-sensor" theory I must admit that I think it looks more like a defect shutter, or a defect mirror that doesn't get out of the way.

BlinkingEye

Despite how much I like your "cockroach-walking-around-on-the-sensor" theory I must admit that I think it looks more like a defect shutter, or a defect mirror that doesn't get out of the way.
I agree and my money is the shutter being defective.