The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hanoi, Friday 13 February 2009

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you, cmb.

Sometimes, often many times per day, I am stopped in the street by people who want me to take their photo or a photo of their children, not with their camera but with mine. Having ones portrait taken is sometimes more important than being able to view it afterwards. Here's one of those occasions, a southeast Asian teenager, as typical as you'll ever find one:

S5 with Nikkor 70-300mm ED @ 85mm and f/7.1

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
And since I'm in "typical mode" this morning, here's a very typical Hanoi backstreet, one of the best reasons for visiting this city.

S5 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/5.6

Lloyd

And since I'm in "typical mode" this morning, here's a very typical Hanoi backstreet, one of the best reasons for visiting this city.

S5 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/5.6

Again, Jorgen, brilliant work. I'm touched and awed.

I'm also not the least surprised that the impacts of the past remain for the people there. I can hardly blame them, and didn't blame them even all those years ago. Thanks again for giving me this surprising, and quite wonderful window to a world I never imagined.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
With all the traffic, pollution and noise, cities can sometimes appear greyish and dull. They aren't of course.

S5 with Nikkor 70-300 ED @ 210mm and f/8

D

ddk

Again, Jorgen, brilliant work. I'm touched and awed.

I'm also not the least surprised that the impacts of the past remain for the people there. I can hardly blame them, and didn't blame them even all those years ago. Thanks again for giving me this surprising, and quite wonderful window to a world I never imagined.

I've said this before about Jorgen, his work is very uplifting and somehow he manages to find the bright side of life. I spent 14 years living in the area and can tell you that a dark side exists, lots of poverty and squalor which many might dwell on and pick as subject matter. Over the years I've seen many images from different photographers who only show this darkness, Jorgen sees the light side and focuses on the good and the humorous, its a rare talent. :clap:

hunghang

Wonderful photos. Makes me so jealous to know that you've seen more of the real VN than I have. I grew up in the South, but never had the chance to visit the North.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you Hung Hang. You should go to the north some time. I like it a lot. it must be said though, that I haven't been to the south yet.