The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Otus 24mm f1.4 Rumour......

Will be nice for some landscape folks I suppose. I'm selling my 35mm Sigmalux in favor of the old 35/2D. I like it's old school character and love it's tiny size.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Good point. I am now much more attracted to character of a lens, than anything else...

dwood

I have the Art 35 and 50, which I love. I've been wanting to try to the 24 and wonder if the recently introduced 24-35/f2 would be good to look at too. If there's an Otus 24 on the horizon, I'm sure it will be stellar, albeit a bit pricey.

Swissblad

I wish the Otus line was AF..... that said I have the Sigma 35mm ART - which is a great lens - BUT - there are times I would prefer the weight and size of a Nikkor 35mm f1.8 or the old f2!

tcdeveau

Interesting. I'll pay a little more attention to the Otus line once they start putting out some wide angles. A 24mm Otus could be killer for astrophotography.

vjbelle

Zeiss has the where with all to make any kind of lens.... how about world class f2.8 or even f3.5 lenses. Nice and light with huge image circles so corners and sides would be tack sharp. I need a 2 lb lens like I need a hole in the head.

Victor

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Zeiss has the where with all to make any kind of lens.... how about world class f2.8 or even f3.5 lenses. Nice and light with huge image circles so corners and sides would be tack sharp. I need a 2 lb lens like I need a hole in the head.

Victor
Sounds like a good idea, but unfortunately I suspect that the gadget freaks and collectors that Zeiss needs to make a project like this viable, would mostly go for extreme solutions. That includes at least f/1.4 in most cases. One can always hope though. Leica's APO Summicron 50 is a good example of a premium plus lens with a slower aperture.

JohnBrew

Good point. I am now much more attracted to character of a lens, than anything else...
You got it, Jack. I really enjoy my 55 Otus, but when I tried the 135, one of my thoughts was that many lenses are now too clinical. I think Nikon addressed this with the 58 and many of my Leica contacts are going back to older lenses for the character. I've been using my old 105 2.5 Ai more lately and like the rendition. Of course, some of the new high resolution sensors don't play nice with older lenses.
And I'm one of many who were really looking forward to the WA Otus, but my mindset has changed and I believe my Zeiss 21 will be good for a long, long time.

AreBee

Lloyd Chambers at diglloyd.com said:
This site may be relatively quiet for the next 10 days or so...

But that does not mean I’m taking a break—quite the contrary. This fall will not be boring, at least from my point of view.
Lloyd Chambers at diglloyd.com said:
My intent is to compare...

However, a trip to Germany very soon for a special event may delay it by a week or so.
Not long to wait.

Ken_R

According to Photo Rumors... Zeiss is planning a Otus 24mm f1.4.....

:cool:
Zeiss Otus lenses are pretty useless for most things when used on a Canon or Nikon DSLR since generally DSLRs are just horrible for manual focusing. So they are only usable on a tripod with live view focusing. On a Mirrorless body like the new Sony A7/2/s/r/r2 they are nice lenses thanks to manual focusing helpers built into the body / evf. However, the Batis AF Zeiss seem superb and obviously have AF, are just a tad slower but much more affordable.

Would be nice to see a 21mm Zeiss Otus, great for landscape. A high quality 24 1.4 would also be nice, for landscape night shots of the sky.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Zeiss Otus lenses are pretty useless for most things when used on a Canon or Nikon DSLR since generally DSLRs are just horrible for manual focusing. So they are only usable on a tripod with live view focusing. On a Mirrorless body like the new Sony A7/2/s/r/r2 they are nice lenses thanks to manual focusing helpers built into the body / evf. However, the Batis AF Zeiss seem superb and obviously have AF, are just a tad slower but much more affordable.

Would be nice to see a 21mm Zeiss Otus, great for landscape. A high quality 24 1.4 would also be nice, for landscape night shots of the sky.
Not all photographers find DSLRs horrible for manual focusing. I mostly use manual focus lenses on my D810. As for a 21mm for landscapes: the Zeiss 21mm ZF.2 is already great for that purpose, unless you prefer shoot landscapes at f/1.4.

AlexLF

I don't see any problem using manual focus lenses for landscapes! So I'm with Jorgen here. And come on! We used to have manual focusing on large format cameras with their dark ground glass.

rayyan

ZF 100/2...

ZF 35/2...

ZF 50/1.4...

Was it yesterday that I mentioned, I have just now started to learning how to use a tripod. The assembly took a while, though.

These were taken with a Nikon dslr. What else..:D

p.s. I do most landscapes ( whatever that means ) with a 50mm or a 75/85/90mm focal length. YMMV.

AreBee

Lloyd Chambers at digloyd.com said:
I don’t know if Ira uses Zeiss Otus, but they are heavy to carry in the field. Worth the results, but quite a load with three Otii to carry around.
Three Otii?...

Ken_R

Guys, for landscapes, on a tripod, obviously manual focus lenses are not a hindrance at all!

But, the point of a Zeiss Otus f1.4 lens is its performance at f1.4~f2 which is stunning. Miss focus even a bit and the advantage of a lens like that is lost. I would love an AF version. Since most of the work I do with fast lenses on a DSLR in the 35mm to 200mm range is people photography, handheld.

JohnBrew

Guys, for landscapes, on a tripod, obviously manual focus lenses are not a hindrance at all!

But, the point of a Zeiss Otus f1.4 lens is its performance at f1.4~f2 which is stunning. Miss focus even a bit and the advantage of a lens like that is lost. I would love an AF version. Since most of the work I do with fast lenses on a DSLR in the 35mm to 200mm range is people photography, handheld.
I street-shoot with my Otus 55/810 combo all the time. I think almost everyone who has one does. My tennis elbow complains after an hour or two, but the Zeiss is very hand holdable and I rarely miss focus. I do take advantage of the DK-17M viewfinder magnifier. The 85 Otus is a whole different kettle of fish, however.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
A 28 will hold more interest I think, since it's a gap in Nikon and 3rd party manufacturers -- unless of course one already has a good copy of the Nikkor 28 ASPH ;)