Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Life :Leica R lens on Nikon D3

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New Life :Leica R lens on Nikon D3

Great shots Hacker! It's nice to see the lens maintains its look on the new body...
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Great shots Hacker! It's nice to see the lens maintains its look on the new body...
    Two more:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe it's just me, but that 80/1.4 Lux has a disturbing busy background bokeh wide open. There seems to be a lot of internal vignetting going on. What's it like stopped down a bit, f/2.8 or so?
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

@Hacker...
    I can't take it anymore.
    I'm selling my Zeiss 100/2 and Zeiss 85/1.4
    I'm going to order Leica LUX 80/1.4 + Leitax for it
    btw, do we get all the equipments that we need to convert the lens?
    such as the screw tools, the silicon etc.
    Thc You
    Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

Post Thanks / Like

Nice move. No, you need to order separately (from Leitax). That said the tools are high quality and nicely priced - and only need to be bought once. My kit arrived quickly, well packed and is quality gear.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I feel the metD3x doesnt work as reliable when using a Leica lens with Leitax adapter vs a Nikon lens.
    Whats your guys experience?

Post Thanks / Like

Can you elaborate? Metering? Focus confirmation?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Really weird, Leica on Nikon and Nikon on Leica!

Looks like my desk! Couple of questions.

(1) How do you like the LensAlign for testing the M and R lenses (manual focus)?

(2)Do you find the D700 (focus point confirmation) to be accurate and does it agree with what you see on the screen? I remember from using alternative lenses on the canon bodies...that the screen was often not accurate without calibration. The focus confirmation works off the sensor and may be different than the screen . While calibration is less likely an issue, the requirements to focus at 1.4 in low light are beyond the AF system. So the normal method of using the focus confirmation to get close or to check your manual focus may not work well.

(3) It doesn t look like you can use the Nikon focus adjustments to correct the focus confirmation (AF lens only).

These are nits but you have to have uber calibration to use a 1.4 at close range.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    I feel the metD3x doesnt work as reliable when using a Leica lens with Leitax adapter vs a Nikon lens.
    Whats your guys experience?
    I haven t tested this but there was a problem on the Canon bodies with accurate exposure metering. The Canon representative explained this on one of the forums and it appears that the body uses the aperture information to adjust the exposure metering. On an alternative lens it does not have the aperture information and each F stop was off by a different amount. The solution was to make a chart of exposure adjustments and then use the exposure adjustment necessary for your chosen aperture. Sounds worse than it is....as I tried to shoot wide open or at F5.6 and I knew the amount to adjust. Generally we are talking about 1/3 to 1/2 stop errors...which IMHO isn t critical for many uses and I don t meter that accurately anyway. I know for some applications you need to do better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Nice move. No, you need to order separately (from Leitax). That said the tools are high quality and nicely priced - and only need to be bought once. My kit arrived quickly, well packed and is quality gear.
    Thx RobMac
    I cant wait the post man to deliever the Leitax to me
    Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

Post Thanks / Like

(1) How do you like the LensAlign for testing the M and R lenses (manual focus)?

Not too bad, but my lenses appear to be correctly focused.

(2)Do you find the D700 (focus point confirmation) to be accurate and does it agree with what you see on the screen?

Yes, I mainly use it as a guide.

(3) It doesn t look like you can use the Nikon focus adjustments to correct the focus confirmation (AF lens only).

Not sure, my 100mm and 80mm focus correctly.

These are nits but you have to have uber calibration to use a 1.4 at close range.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Can you elaborate? Metering? Focus confirmation?
    I get less consistent exposure, mostly undereposure

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    I haven t tested this but there was a problem on the Canon bodies with accurate exposure metering. The Canon representative explained this on one of the forums and it appears that the body uses the aperture information to adjust the exposure metering. On an alternative lens it does not have the aperture information and each F stop was off by a different amount. The solution was to make a chart of exposure adjustments and then use the exposure adjustment necessary for your chosen aperture. Sounds worse than it is....as I tried to shoot wide open or at F5.6 and I knew the amount to adjust. Generally we are talking about 1/3 to 1/2 stop errors...which IMHO isn t critical for many uses and I don t meter that accurately anyway. I know for some applications you need to do better.
    this sounds logic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It may make sense to manually enter the lens in as a similar focal length in the camera if you have not already. For example, for the 80mm f/1.4, enter it in as an 80mm f/1.4 in the non-cpu lens data section. I know it will not be auto-stop down, but it is my understanding that matrix metering uses the lens focal length in the metering....you may get more accurate metering if that is taken into account.

The other option would be to switch to center weighted or spot metering -- those should not be affected by lens specific calculations, and you may get more consistent results.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!

Post Thanks / Like

2nd the entering of the FL and max aperture for adapted/converted lenses.

For EoS bodies I usually get custom-coded adapters (e.g. "80mm F1.4") from happypagehk. Tend to find it help with exposure - and focus confirmation. He also sells encoded chips solo ($35). He MAY be able to source chips encoded for Nikon that you could attach to the leitax flange if that's a route worth following.

When I get a new lens and use an existing adapter encoded for a different lens while awaiting a new adapter, the metering (1Ds2) tends to go wonky - and focus confirm tends to be just off (more so than usual for an EoS body).
    Last edited by robmac; 1st April 2009 at 06:50.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips. I will cehck it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    @Hacker...
    I can't take it anymore.
    I'm selling my Zeiss 100/2 and Zeiss 85/1.4
    I'm going to order Leica LUX 80/1.4 + Leitax for it
    btw, do we get all the equipments that we need to convert the lens?
    such as the screw tools, the silicon etc.
    Thc You
    The equipment to convert and the grease are all separate costs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but that 80/1.4 Lux has a disturbing busy background bokeh wide open. There seems to be a lot of internal vignetting going on. What's it like stopped down a bit, f/2.8 or so?
    The baby photos have very bad background, and any lens would have produced the same. I took the photos when it was heavily raining, so I did not have good lighting, and the mat is quite er...ugly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I got my adapter for the 180mm f/2.8 APO ROM. It was really easy to change, and the stripped screw I was worried about was not an issue. Changing the bayonet was even more straightforward than I thought. I went very slowly and carefully, and it took me about 10 minutes. The lens mounts right on the Nikon very easily. There is slightly more play in the mount than there is in most Nikon lenses, or when it was on Leica, but this is probably to be expected. This is not to say it is loose in the mount...just that if you try to move the lens in the mount, you can do so a tiny bit.

Performance wise...wow. Using the 180 APO elmarit again is really nice. It is outlandishly sharp, so quick to focus and such nice bokeh. I have not had the chance to take too many shots, but so far the impression is great. Metering is spot on using matrix metering (I am using a D3...I entered the lens in as a 180/2.8), focus confirmation is also dead on accurate (though the arrows point in the opposite direction since the Leica lenses focus with infinity at right rather than infinity at left). Using the aperture is quite easy, and the viewfinder is still bright enough to focus at f/8, though in practice I focus at f/2.8 and then stop down. Or just shoot at f/2.8 since the lens is so good that it does not really make any difference except for depth of field.

Ok, here are two fairly boring photos. One through my dirty window, handheld at f/2.8 and ISO 1000 (+.33 EV in lightroom...it was a blah day). Also, the vignetting at the left is from the window, not from the lens.

And this one was also handheld at f/2.8 -- it is at the lighthouse at the western tip of Reykjavik.

This is a 100% crop from the extreme right edge...remember at f/2.8

Sharpening in both photos was very low. I processed them in lightroom and the settings were 14 for amount, .5 for radius and 25 for detail. There is the faintest hint of color fringing in the telephone pole's white plastic wire guard, but I believe that is more from the sensor than the lens. Leica does not tend to exaggerate about their APO correction. I did have a UV filter on it, though I doubt that would make any difference. Anyway, I am very happy to be able to use my lens again, and I look forward to my other bayonets getting here! I am going to try to convert my 50mm f/1.4 E60, so hopefully that will clear the mirror. Unfortunately, I don't think the rest of my lenses will fit...they are all the iffy ones -- 19mm f/2.8, 35/1.4 and 28-90 f/2.8-4.5.

Post Thanks / Like

does the conversion allow for metering with the lens open or is it stop down metering? In other words will the lens stay open even as you turn the aperture ring or does it close as you turn the ring?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jorge, it's stop down.

I have some of these bayonets available, if anyone wants one, drop me a PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorge -- Monza is correct. There is no physical connection between the lens and the body other than the mount. You need to focus wide open, and then stop down to your shooting aperture. Or just shoot wide open....or...you could always just focus at your shooting aperture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Performance wise...wow. Using the 180 APO elmarit again is really nice. It is outlandishly sharp, so quick to focus and such nice bokeh. I have not had the chance to take too many shots, but so far the impression is great. Metering is spot on using matrix metering (I am using a D3...I entered the lens in as a 180/2.8)

Ok, here are two fairly boring photos. One through my dirty window, handheld at f/2.8 and ISO 1000 (+.33 EV in lightroom...it was a blah day).
    Looks great Stuart!

Has anyone compared the Leica 180 f2.8 APO with the Nikon 180 f2.8 ED lens? I have the older Nikkor 180 f2.8 non-ED lens and have been thinking about selling it to get the ED version (AIS, MF) and use with my F3HP (or maybe a Nikon DSLR).

Gary
    Alaska

Post Thanks / Like

Gary,

Lloyd Chambers did a 180mm comparo on the D3x( get his DAP subscription service). Included the Leica, CV, Nikon, etc., You, uh, might want to read it before buying that Nikon...;>

In a nutshell: Leica on top, CV very close #2 (it cost $400 said he'd "..only sell it for no less than $2000.." (I paraphrase)) then everyone else starting distant 3rd+

I own the CV and owned the Leica and Nikon - I'd agree with his conclusions fully.

If you decide to acquire a CV (leaping here), there is a forum member here I know is debating selling theirs - I can put you in touch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary,

Lloyd Chambers did a 180mm comparo on the D3x( get his DAP subscription service). Included the Leica, CV, Nikon, etc., You, uh, might want to read it before buying that Nikon...;>

In a nutshell: Leica on top, CV very close #2 (it cost $400 said he'd "..only sell it for no less than $2000.." (I paraphrase)) then everyone else starting distant 3rd+

I own the CV and owned the Leica and Nikon - I'd agree with his conclusions fully.

If you decide to acquire a CV (leaping here), there is a forum member here I know is debating selling theirs - I can put you in touch.
    Thanks for the info.....I just signed up for a DAP/Zeiss ZF subscription.

Am I correct that the CV 180 is no longer available new? That's the impression I got from the BH Photo info.

I have a feeling that the Leica is way out of my price range, so I may have to settle for less.

Gary
    Alaska

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, CV SL (series I) lenses are no more (new). I've owned a number of Leica APOs (90, both 180s, etc) and the CV units are close, damn, damn close for far, far less $$ - even with the ongoing ramp in the CVs used prices.

I tested my CV 90 against my 90AA R. Could not tell the two lenses part re: resolution and the CV had no CA off bright objects in strong sun where the R did. Now to be fair, the 90AA R is not as well corrected for CA as are it's 180mm brothers.

I LOVED the Leica 180s abut while you give up some speed, for $650-700 (CV 180/4 APO) vs $1800-2300 (Leica 180/2.8 APO), I'll give up a stop and that extra Nth percent pixel-peeping (that you won't see in print anyway)....

Post Thanks / Like

thanks,

those shots with the 180 look stunning!

JT

Post Thanks / Like

I just received my Brand new Summilux 80/1.4

Now I have to wait another 10 days, until my Leitax come in T__T
    hiks...
    10 more daysssssss I'm dying to try it out

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

beware of the slippery slope ...
    congrats Andree looking forward to see what the 80 lux does on your D3X

Post Thanks / Like

The Lux is a sweet lens - always liked mine. Think you'll be impressed.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice lens holder

Are they expensive? Do they come in pairs?

marknorton

Question. When you make this conversion, I assume the aperture is entirely manual so that metering is either M or A mode. How about focus? Do you manually open it wide to focus then stop down to shoot or is the focus confirmation good enough down to, say, f5.6?

I'm tempted to go down this route but not if the end result is a pain to use.

Post Thanks / Like

With the 180 preapo I generally work wideopen (2.8) or stopped down to 5.6. I can focus in most situations without opening up(that is I focus with the lens set to 5.6). With the 80/1.4 its 1.4 ;2.8 or 5.6....again focusing with the working aperture.

I only use the focus confirmation to check that I am close..I rely on screen focusing. I think it works pretty well.

I do like the Zeiss 28/2 as the best wide angle alternative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I finally found something pretty enough to photograph using my 100mm APO elmarit on the D3. These are pretty much just as they are out of the camera, other than white balance and extremely minor sharpening (like 10-14 at .5 radius in lightroom)

That was at f/4

That was wide open I think...it is not as sharp as it was handheld and there is a bit of softness at 100%. You only see the best of this lens on a tripod...preferably with live view focusing and a cable release...and no wind.

The first one is sharp...as expected. 100%
    Last edited by Stuart Richardson; 13th April 2009 at 14:37.

Post Thanks / Like

pic of my new lens on my camera

Post Thanks / Like

Camera porn of the finest kind..

Post Thanks / Like

Still practicing how to use Lux 80/1.4 on D3X
    all at F1.4

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    The baby photos have very bad background, and any lens would have produced the same. I took the photos when it was heavily raining, so I did not have good lighting, and the mat is quite er...ugly.
    The internal vignetting is visible even half way from the corners and creating an inconsistent bokeh that gets a bit disturbing, like in the green leaves in background of the portraits of the kid, and the clipped specular highlights in the portrait of the woman in front of a computer. That's why it would be interesting to see the 80 stopped down a bit to see if it improves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I really think it is personal taste -- I love the way the backgrounds look and don't find the vignetting objectionable at all.

If you want to see vignetting, try using the Nikon 50/1.4 at f/1.4:

I think the bokeh is a lot worse too. But I do think it is very clear that it is all a personal thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I really think it is personal taste -- I love the way the backgrounds look and don't find the vignetting objectionable at all.

If you want to see vignetting, try using the Nikon 50/1.4 at f/1.4:

I think the bokeh is a lot worse too. But I do think it is very clear that it is all a personal thing.
    Hehe the AF 50/1.4D (if that's the one you used) is legendary for it's bokeh let's not pick on the born loser shall we?

When I'm talking about vignetting I worry less about falloff (easily corrected digitally, and normally compensated in the process by the enlarger lens falloff when enlarging negs). What I care more about is specular out-of-focus highlights fairly close to the center of the image rendered as half-moons. Try taking your 80/1.4 out around town at night to do some portraits wide open with street lights in the background and you will see what I mean - I suspect it won't hold up well. That's why it would be interesting to see it at f/2 and f/2.8.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Smile Re: New Life :Leica R lens on Nikon D3

Hello,
    I have been enjoying viewing various posts in the Leica R lens on Nikon D3 thread. Thanks to David of Leitax, I have been able to put Nikon bayonets on Leica R lenses that I have owned for some time. Since I do not own any high-end Nikon Digital SLRs such as Nikon D3 or Nikon D3x, I use a moderately priced Nikon D300. I took a couple of pictures of my Leica R lenses mounted on one of my favorite vintage Nikon SLRs -- black Nikon F with F-36. Thanks. Leica 77
    Last edited by Leica 77; 2nd July 2009 at 03:48.

Post Thanks / Like

I own many modern Leica ASPH/APO lenses, and more often than not, I prefer the vintage look of the older designs, especially the Sonnars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello Hacker,
    Definitely, there is something to be said and praised about the timeless fine designs of vintage photographic equipment. Modern designs are definitely attractive to many contemporary consumers and professionals alike ... Thanks. Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like

The F is one truly beautiful camera! Beauty is perhaps not the correct phrase for the motor, though ... :-)
    leif e
    F2, FM2, D700, 3,5/20 UD, 2/35, 3,5/55, CV 2,5/75 (all ai or aiŽd), 1,8/85 af-d,
    2,8/60 af-d

Post Thanks / Like

Nice - real switches, metal, some brassing...yum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello leif e of Norway and robmac,
    Many thanks for your kind words about the vintage Nikon F. Yes, there are real switches, metal, and some brassing!! In the era of modern Digital Cameras, some vintage cameras and lenses remain timeless and retain their own charm. Once again, thanks for your positive comments! Leica 77
    Last edited by Leica 77; 28th June 2009 at 22:10.

Post Thanks / Like

New Life :Leica R lens on Nikon DSLR

This is my first post on this forum who caught my attention as my interest has shifted from Nikon AF lenses to high quality prime lenses such as Zeiss and Leica.
    I appreciate the quality of the posts and need to thank in particular Andree (deep diver on this forum) from whom I discovered on Clubsnap the great quality of the Zeiss ZF lenses. His great photos made me buy 3 ZF lenses (100mm/35mm/21mm) and 1 voigtlander (58mm Nokton).

I understand that he is now selling his zeiss lenses to discover the world of Leica R lenses adapted on Nikon bodies (theme of this thread). I happened to have done such a conversion some time ago using the Leitax bayonet on my Leica Elmarit 180mm APO-ROM. As I was among the first to have tried the leitax product with that lens, David from Leitax asked me to photograph the process which is now posted on his website:

http://leitax.com/conversion/leica/A...2.8/index.html

I really enjoy so far the Leica experience on my Nikon D300 and D700 in particular (easier to manually focus). I sold back my Nikon 180mm AF ED right away and does not wish to look back.

I have a set of pictures taken with this 180mm APO lens at the following link:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3706706...7616543206365/

I will try to contribute to this forum as much as I was able to profit from it. Thank you all for your great posts and advice....

Post Thanks / Like

episa - very nice and welcome. The Leica 180 APO is a beaut.

leica77 - no need for thanks. You have some nice gear. The whole discussion reminds me of a scene from a Nicholas Cage movie - "Gone In 60 Seconds" IIRC. Essence was his character indicated (I paraphrase) as he was casing a car to steal:

"...any @#$%^ can buy a Ferrari Testarossa to drive to Starbucks. It takes a real connoisseur to appreciate a (IIRC) Ferrari GTB (60s vintage) ..."

Be it one of the older bodies or any generation of manual focus lens, that solid construction, smooth focus, the snick of the switches/aperture ring and (gasp) a VF designed for manual focus really makes one want to go shooting.

Damn, I sound old now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    pic of my new lens on my camera

i keep returning to this particular post for some reason. damn, that R lens on the D3x looks really mighty appealing. i gotta admit, Leica sure knows how to design handsome-looking lenses that performs well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello robmac,
    I appreciated your wise analogy using a scene from "Gone in 60 Seconds". Next time when I visit the nearby Starbucks Coffeeshop, should I carry my vintage Nikon F or the Nikon Digital SLR coupled with one of the Leica R lenses? Best regards, Leica 77
    P.S. Despite my name "Leica 77", I am not really that old. I am just a happily retired university professor...