Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Life :Leica R lens on Nikon D3

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Life :Leica R lens on Nikon D3

Hey Leica, tough call... and not a bad choice to have to make. ;>

That D3x+80 Lux combo looks sexy as hell. My lux looked sweet on my 1Ds2, but aesthetically, the Italian design origins of the D3/X adds that extra something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Smile Re: New Life :Leica R lens on Nikon D3

New Life: Leica R 50mm Summicron Lens on Nikon D300 DSLR. Thanks for looking. Leica 77
    Last edited by Leica 77; 28th June 2009 at 20:47.

Post Thanks / Like

New Life : D3X with 80 Lux
    @F2 or F2.5

Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello deepdiver,
    Excellent digital image -- great subject, lighting, color, and bokeh!!! Lux 80 is a superb lens!!! Leica 77

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    New Life : D3X with 80 Lux
    @F2 or F2.5

Beautiful image.

Post Thanks / Like

Great lighting and bokeh deepdiver!

What difference do you experience between the 80 Lux and 100mm ZF, aside from the focal length when you do portraits?

Post Thanks / Like

Thx Leica 77 and Lylod

Hi Episa, from my experience, shooting with lux 80 and ZF 100 is completely different. Zeiss 100/2 is definitely sharper at F2 compare to lux 80 at F2.
    Lux 80 will give u a "glowing" image at F1.4 to F2 + the result is not very sharp.
    I'm kind of like the way lux 80/1.4 at F2 give me the final result, where the image is a little bit glowing and not super sharp.
    This way, I don't have to worry with the wrinkle/blemish on the model's skin
    If i want to sharpen the image, I just need to sharpen the eyes + hair area only
    On the other hand, If I really want to get super sharp image + details, I can just set the aperture to F2.8
    at F2.8 this lens is a magic...
    Another thing that I can tell for sure, this lens has deeper Bokeh compare to ZF 100/2 (maybe it's due to the big aperture F1.4)

Andree
    Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

Post Thanks / Like

Thx Leica 77 and Lylod

Hi Episa, from my experience, shooting with lux 80 and ZF 100 is completely different. Zeiss 100/2 is definitely sharper at F2 compare to lux 80 at F2.
    Lux 80 will give u a "glowing" image at F1.4 to F2 + the result is not very sharp.
    I'm kind of like the way lux 80/1.4 at F2 give me the final result, where the image is a little bit glowing and not super sharp.
    This way, I don't have to worry with the wrinkle/blemish on the model's skin
    If i want to sharpen the image, I just need to sharpen the eyes + hair area only
    On the other hand, If I really want to get super sharp image + details, I can just set the aperture to F2.8
    at F2.8 this lens is a magic...
    Another thing that I can tell for sure, this lens has deeper Bokeh compare to ZF 100/2 (maybe it's due to the big aperture F1.4)

Andree
    Than you for the very informative feedback deepdiver! I can see why this lens is a great portrait lens. I realize I should have also asked you your thoughts on comparing the lux 80 with the 85mm/1.4 ZF which is even more appropriate for a comparison....

I do not have the 85mm from Zeiss but own the AF 85mm/1,4 from Nikon: I was wondering if I decided to "upgrade" from this already good lens from Nikon, would you recommend the Leica lux 80mm or the Zeiss 85mm ZF?
    My use would be for portraits and low level photography like in concerts or bars, using a full frame body (D700).
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Episa.
    it's depend on ur taste
    Leica 80/1.4 have a unique look and smoother bokeh BUT it's not very sharp at F1.4 - F2. this lens is starting to get sharp image at F2.5 and above.

With ZF 85/1.4 u can get a sharp image starting from F1.4, and starting from F2 the result is already super sharp.
    But u will not get the same bokeh and look from Leica 80/1.4
    again it's ur preference

Nikon 85/1.4 is a really good lens. there is nothing wrong with it. If ur work needs a lot of AF, then none of those lens above can beat Nikon 85/1.4
    In My case, I don't need the AF at all.
    I don't shot at bars or at concerts
    So IMHO, It's better for u to stay with Nikon 85/1.4

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much deepdiver. It sounds as you said that all these lenses (Leica Lux 80/f1.4, Zeiss 85mm/f1.4, Nikon AD 85mm/f1.4) are top quality lenses and that the choice of one vs the other is really linked to the type of photography we do.
    If I understand you correctly I could summarize as follows:
    Leica Lux 80mm f/1.4: excellent for portrait because of softer wide open and great bokeh
    Zeiss 85mm/f1.4: excellent for photos requiring absolute sharpness wide open (statues, objects, landscape etc...)
    AF Nikon 85mm/f1.4D: best for action photos where AF tracking is needed.

Thank you again deepdiver...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by episa View Post
    Thank you very much deepdiver. It sounds as you said that all these lenses (Leica Lux 80/f1.4, Zeiss 85mm/f1.4, Nikon AD 85mm/f1.4) are top quality lenses and that the choice of one vs the other is really linked to the type of photography we do.
    Leica Lux 80mm f/1.4: excellent for portrait because of softer wide open and great bokeh
    Zeiss 85mm/f1.4: excellent for photos requiring absolute sharpness wide open (statues, objects, landscape etc...)

Well said Episa

Glad that I can help u

Post Thanks / Like

Having owned the 80 lux and 100 ZF (both on a 1Ds2), I concur with Andre's comments on the two - not really comparable. The 100 is sharper WO, but I saw more CA and bokeh is not as buttery (tends to have double edges).

The Lux has that Mandler glow from 1.4-2 and while not sharp WO is still nicely defined. "Softly sharp"? I dunno. Great bokeh, little CA for such as fast telephoto, very flare resistant. From F2.8 on in center it will cut glass, so to speak.

What I also liked about the lux vs others fast telephotos is that the transition from foreground to plane-of-focus to background is very smooth and gradual. It looks very natural (as our brains would see it) vs. the sudden 'in your face' DoF transitions you can get from other fast longer glass. I tend to find such sudden "look at the sliver of focus" shots look artificial as the transition is TOO sudden and dramatic. YMMV.

On what 80-85 to use in clubs, etc. I'd stick with an AF lens. Trying to do stop-down and manual focus in that style of situation would be an exercise in frustration. The Nikon is no slouch (had an AiS versions years ago), but will show more CA, especially off reflective objects. Ideally a user would own both ;> One for convenience, one for more artistic shots.

Now, on a different track. Am shooting with a borrowed Mamiya M645 80/1.9 via adapter - Love it. First 2-3 shots told me I had to have one. Softish WO, but VERY sharp starting 1 stop down, nice color. Low-contrast, but I prefer that as can always boost macro contrast in post yet no tendency to rush to deep blacks. Very smooth operation and amazing 'pop' in VF when in focus. I suspect it's actually faster than 1.9 in real life (e.g. T stop vs F stop) - that and all the large glass pump a lot of light along.

Liked it so much, just ordered my own to go with my M645 150/3.5 and 200/2.8 APO. If you come across one, give it a try. I use the fotodiox pro adapter. Under $200 for the C model.

Post Thanks / Like

Very instructive info robmac on your Mamiya experience. I used to own a Mamiya 645PRO with all manual lenses and was very pleased with their lenses (especially for portraits). I was wondering actually if there was a possibility to adapt their larger lenses on a Nikon Body. I will look into your suggestion of the fotodiox pro adapter.

Of course there is an adjustment ratio so that a 150mm Mamiya lens is not a 150mm lens when adapted on Nikon FF body.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually 150mm is 150 - same angle of view, you just cut the outer 1/2 of the image circle. You get the sweet spot. I thought same thing when thought of MF glass on my FF DSLR, but nope, 150mm FL is 150mm.

The way I explain it to people is to treat all FL marking on lenses as if intended for 35mm FF. Medium format, FX, Leica M, etc.,

As you move the a given lens from FF 35mm 'down' to a crop sensor, the effective angle of view decreases due to the smaller sensor, so get crop factor - 80mm/1.9 becomes effective 120/1.9 (assuming Nikon Dx body).

However, as you move that 80/1.9 'up' from 35mm FF to Medium format, the reverse happens. The effective angle of view increases and reverse crop factor kicks in - 80/1.9 becomes an effective say 50/1.9.

In short you're say 200/2.8 Mamiya APO will have same FoV as your 200/2 VR G on a D700/D3_.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks rob.
    Since we are in the "Leica R lens on Nikon body" thread what is your experience of the fotodiox adapter to mount a Leica lens on Nikon. Anybody else?
    I have use the leitax bayonet and am very satisfied. I just never heard of this other adapter....

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Robmac- as good an explanation as I have ever heard for this. This has been discussed for ever with DX stuff and now for users of digital backs. It never was an issue for some of us old guys who actually used MF and LF in the film days, we just bought a lens for field of view with what ever that was in our 35mm or mf minds' sense, and the only other considerations were did you like german or japanese glass characteristics better and cost....guess for some, not much has changed It really never mattered what the number actually was on the glass for FL, you just bought what you needed ....

Post Thanks / Like

Don - Thanks.

episa - never heard of that adapter. I can't see how it would work w/o removing the existing Nikon mount. They have a Leica M39-Nikon adapter (39mm threaded rangefinder mount), but I have no experience with it.

My experience with Fotodiox 35mm adapters has been ok, not great. I much prefer custom-encoded chipped adapters (for Canon) from Rudloph at happypageHk on Ebay. He's well-respected in the alternate forum on Fred Miranda. On the medium format side, the Fotodiox Pro adapters are nice, the non-pro, not so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Snap shot from Lux 80 F1.4 @F1.4

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Would the group advise me to have a 90mm Summicron R converted with a Leitax adapter as an upgrade to the 105/2.5 Nikon I use from time to time? For most family or quick travel grabs, I just use my zooms, but for serious landscape stuff, I have noticed improvements using a MF Nikor or Voigtlander. But between these two lenses would I see enough difference in large prints between the 105 ais Nikon and the 90mm Summicron to be worth the cost of the adapter? Assuming large prints[14x21 and up] and that most of these are shot at f8 or smaller? Interested in hearing what folk have for experiences..thx

ddk

Quote Originally Posted by episa View Post

This formula, if you want to call it that, is way too narrow and meaningless. I have no experience with the Leica but I own the other two lenses. Both are designed as "PORTRAIT" lenses and both are very competent but have totally different rendering.

The Zeiss is actually very soft wide open and you get a very dreamy look with it at f1.4, but will sharpen up with great bokeh as you close down. The Nikon on the other hand is pretty sharp at f1.4, very creamy bokeh. The AF is handy more often than not as the Zeiss is kind of slow to focus with. My personal preference is for the Zeiss over the Nikkor where I can help it and the subject is stationary. I'm sure that the Leica is also a great performer but since both the Zeiss and the Nikkor, along with the Canon equivelants are such stellar performers, I just don't see the point to mess around with a lens that you have to manually stop down and use with an adaptor.

Dismising any of them in that manner is wrong.

(Edit) PS. Looked at the picture posts here with the 80mm and based on these I don't see any reason to pick this lens over the others. If anything its the 50mm which looks like worth looking into.
    Last edited by ddk; 1st May 2009 at 09:18.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonWeston View Post
    Would the group advise me to have a 90mm Summicron R converted with a Leitax adapter as an upgrade to the 105/2.5 Nikon I use from time to time? ......
    Other than using the 90 Summicron-R (non APO) at open f-stop, I don't think 90 Summicron-R is an upgrade to the Nikon 105/2,5. I compared my 90 Elmarit-R with my Nikon 105/2,5, they are about equal. Technically, the 90 Elmarit-R is a better performer than 90 Summicron-R (non APO).

Kind regards,

Post Thanks / Like

New Life :Leica R lens on Nikon D3

I received my replacement D700 (first one was stolen) and I must say that I have a higher quantity of keepers with this body as opposed to D300, when using my Leica Elmarit 180mm APO.

The glass of D700 is much more adapted for precise focusing with manual lens. Also the focusing green dot on the D300 viewfinder is totally unreliable. Much better again with D700.

If you have D300 body, invest preferably in smaller focal lengths (80mm and lower).

With the D700 I could rediscover the pleasure of using the Leica 180mm APO lens, something that was fading with the frustration of not being able to get tack sharp pictures with D300.
    The two examples posted showed the bokeh and select focus ability when lens is wide open....

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys.
    I need some help about leica lens.
    I'm thinking to get summilux 50/1.4 the latest version, however, I really have no idea about this lens, such as is it sharp? or..??
    can anyone here please give me some advise
    I want to use it on my Nikon DSLR.
    Thank You

Andree
    FYI, I really love Leica 50/1.4 ASPH M lens. That lens is amazing!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Episa
    Love the pics! Leica Elmarit 180mm APO.... Hm so nice! it's a poison for me
    I'm thinking to get one as well.
    BTW, any experience with Leica 70-180 F2.8 ?
    how come this lens is so expensive?

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Andree,

You may want to check Erwin Puts review: http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/lenses...es/page88.html

I believe Stuart has owned one copy of the lens and remember seeing some of images from him.

Kind regards,

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ocean,
    thx for the link, yes did read all his review about summilux 50/1.4 R lens.
    However, i really want to see and hear from a user here
    I have a mix feeling about my new Leica 90/2 APO on my nikon D3X
    this is Super sharp... i was shocked with this lens, even at wide open F2, this lens is already very sharp.
    my summilux 80/1.4 is nothing compare to this lens in term of sharpness.
    However, the bokeh from 90/2 Apo is not as good as summilux 80/1.4
    This kind of report that I want to hear from the real user of summilux 50/1.4

Thx you

Post Thanks / Like

Bokeh from the 90AA can be a little funky vs. the 80 Lux. The 90 while sharp as a tack even WO or at 2.2, it's not as well corrected for CA WO, especially off reflective surfaces as it's name might suggest. I shot mine against my CV 90 APO and at similar apertures couldn't tell differences in detail at 100% and the CV had no CA/fringing off a reflective grill in the shot vs the 90AA which did. For my shooting/tastes the CV 90 and the 80 lux made a nice combo.

Haven't used the E60 50mm Lux, but www.photozone.de did a test on a cropped sensor that might be interesting to read (compare it's MTF vs say the CV 58). The E60 is sharp WO, but so is the Cv 58 - your M Asph is a step above both.

There are a LOT of nice 50-60s out there and to pay $1600ish for a fast 50.....vs say a 60 Macro + a 50 'cron and having $900-$1000 left in my jeans to go towards a 180/2.8 APO, etc.
    Last edited by robmac; 11th May 2009 at 08:07.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the 50/1.4 E60 from when I was shooting Leica R more often. I love the lens and think it has the most character of all the 50mm lenses I own (including the 50mm f/1.4 ASPH), but it is not that similar to the 50/1.4 ASPH, so you may want to look somewhere else. I converted it to Nikon mount, but my particular lens has a minor issue -- if I screw in the Leitax mount tightly, it locks the focus ring. So the mount has to be on there rather loosely (it is still secure, but not screwed down fully). Also, I needed to remove the rubber ring from the rear element to prevent mirror slap. Overall, I think the lens is sharper and has less vignetting on film and the DMR than it is on the Nikon. I suspect this is due to the smaller lens mount in the Nikon leading to more mechanical vignetting. That said, I did test it against my 50mm f/1.4 AFD and it was better at every aperture. It was not light years ahead, but it was significantly better in every quantifiable way. The most significant way it is better is in its bokeh and look. I think it has one of the most beautiful background signatures of any lens I have used. Here are a few shots, mostly on film, that demonstrate the look of the lens. If you are just looking for a sharp 50, there are many other options. To be honest, I love the lens, but I am not sure I would buy it just to use on the Nikon. You seem to like the aspherical Leica look better than the Mandler leica look (75/1.4, 50/1.4 pre-asph, 50/2 etc), and though the 50/1.4 E60 is not a Mandler lens, it is more in that camp I think. Anyway, the lens it more about look than sharpness for me (though it is a sharp lens).

This one is misfocused and not a great photo, but it shows the nice backgrounds:

My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Hi RobMac, yes i can still see some CA from 90/2 APO
    i was a bit surprised, i though APO lens is suppose to be immune to CA.
    Leica lux 50/1.4 is so expensive, I agree with u, there are many 50's out there, so far from my experience with 50mm lens, none of them is suitable to my taste...
    Nikon 50/1.4 AF-D soft... Zeiss ZF 50/1.4 is the same.
    I haven't tried the new Nikon 50/1.4 AF-S and Sigma 50/1.4
    Leica 50/1.4 ASPH M lens is the only 50mm lens that impressed me
    That's why I was wondering if Leica 50/1.4 R lens have the same character with 50/1.4 M lens.

Hi Stuart,
    Thank you for sharing the pics that were taken with Lux 50/1.4
    I really enjoy looking at them
    To be honest, the bokeh looks like from summilux 80/1.4
    It's nice
    I think I'm ready to get one, but after I heard the Leitax problem on yours summilux 50/1.4
    I need to double check this issue with David (leitax)
    I dont want the same problem occur to my summilux

Once again, thank you all, for all the input and information
    I really appreciate it

Andree

Post Thanks / Like

BTW,
    i took these 2 shots from this morning. Nothing special here, I just want to share the look that i got from Apo 90/2 at F2 (wide-open)
    the bokeh from the light is really "circle" so different from Zeiss 100/2 @F2, which is tend to be an "oval" bokeh.

another snap shot, to show the bokeh from F2 Apo 90/2

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Episa
    Love the pics! Leica Elmarit 180mm APO.... Hm so nice! it's a poison for me
    I'm thinking to get one as well.
    BTW, any experience with Leica 70-180 F2.8 ?
    how come this lens is so expensive?
    Sorry Andree for late reply;
    I do not have personal experience with Leica 70-180; I was also looking at buying this one instead of Elmarit 180mm APO until I discovered the price. Based on various testimonies from others, it is a "legend" lens that is one of the rare Leica zoom R lenses that is as sharp as the prime lens (180mm here). I cannot confirm or deny this claim. If true that would be like the Nikon 14-24mm AF-S lens outperforming any other Nikon prime lenses in that range of focal lengths. One point of caution: I have not found from David (Leitax) or any user in forums whether the Leica 70-180mm R can be adapted without problems.

On the 180mm APO Elmarit, I must say that this lens is clinical, sickly sharp. I took a portrait of my 70 year old father with it and D700: a 200% magnification of the shot reveals the details of the inside of every pore of his nose skin: a real horror story for women portraits but a testimonial of unparallel sharpness in that FL. The challenge remains to get that exact focus accuracy even if this is made easier with D700. The depth of field can be a few centimeters and you need to have a precise focusing technique to produce consistently tack sharp pictures, especially in low light.

Photo attached taken with D300 and Leica Elmarit 180mm APO.... I like the selective focus ability given by this lens.

Best regards,
    Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Episa!
    thx for the remainder about leica 70-180. yes it's true that Leitax doesn't display that lens on it website, so I email David last nite
    I'm still waiting for his reply.

Looking at the sample image that u posted and some other images on the website... there is no doubt that 180mm APO Elmarit is super sharp lens!!
    This lens is also ver expsensive!! hahhahaa
    I really need to work extra hard to buy this lens >_<

Please post more "poison" from 180mm APO Elmarit

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Episa!
    thx for the remainder about leica 70-180. yes it's true that Leitax doesn't display that lens on it website, so I email David last nite
    I'm still waiting for his reply.

Looking at the sample image that u posted and some other images on the website... there is no doubt that 180mm APO Elmarit is super sharp lens!!
    This lens is also ver expsensive!! hahhahaa
    I really need to work extra hard to buy this lens >_<

Please post more "poison" from 180mm APO Elmarit
    Hi deepdiver:
    Regarding price I purchased my Leica Elmarit 180mm APO f2.8 used via ebay for $2300. It was a risky bet (remote HK seller) but was lucky. I agree with you that brand new this lens above $5,000 is out of my financial means. At this used price the lens is worth every dollar I paid. This price is actually not that far from the price of a brand new Leica 50mm f/1.4 ASPH that you have and enjoy very much.

I was hesitating for my first Leica R lens to adapt on Nikon: should I go with the 50 or the 180? Although I use more often the 50mm FL, I came to the conclusion that they are a lot of good 50mm lenses on the market at reasonable prices and whose quality will not be a full class below the Leica. Zeiss f/2.0 ZF, voigltander 58mm F1.4 Nokton, Nikon 50mm AF-S f/1.4 G.
    Sure the Leica Sumimlux 50mm f/1.4 outperforms those at f/1.4 but then others catch up when you close 1 stop. I would need to force myself to take pictures wide open all the time to justify paying 3-4 times more for the Leica.
    In the 180mmm range however you there are not as many choices available. I purchased the Nikon 180mm f2.8 and tested against my Nikon 70-200 AF-S VR. Both of them did not give me the sharpness I was expecting. Actually I was pissed off against Nikon when I realized that my $500 lens 70-300 VR zoom was actually sharper at 180mm and f/5.6 than my 70-200 VR f/2.8 at 180mm, a $1,600 lens however!

Zeiss did not have any ZF product available and I could not find any Voigtlander Lanthar 180mm lens available.
    So I decided to purchase the Leica Elmarit 180mm F/2.8 APO and after the first comparison test with my Nikon lenses, I was so shocked that I sold the two Nikons and I never looked back since. I prefer to loose the flexibility of the 70-200 zoom for the quality of a single FL lens. If I need a 100mm FL I used my Zeiss 100mm ZF (I wish I had your Leica 90mm APO).
    I will try to post some fresh poison for you Andree in a couple of days when I have more time. In the mean time I post one of my shots available in my flickr account (there is a dedicated Leica APO collection set taken only with the Leica Elmarit 180mm F/2.8).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

The shot below was taken with Nikon D300 in low light situation (a shop in the underground was selling flowers therefore the imperfect white balance with a greenish cast). I use this shot to illustrate the selective focus ability of that lens and the quality of the bokeh.

Enjoy this small dose of poison.....

Best Regards
    Last edited by episa; 12th May 2009 at 20:54.

Post Thanks / Like

A VERY close proxy to the 180/2.8 APO, if you can find one, is the CV 180/4 APO.

Having owned the 180/2.8 APO, 180/2 (what a lens) and now CV 180, my experiences would echo those of Lloyd Chambers in his review of 180 lenses on the D3x. The CV is the crown prince to the Leica King - as well as MUCH cheaper and with auto stop-down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    A VERY close proxy to the 180/2.8 APO, if you can find one, is the CV 180/4 APO.

Having owned the 180/2.8 APO, 180/2 (what a lens) and now CV 180, my experiences would echo those of Lloyd Chambers in his review of 180 lenses on the D3x. The CV is the crown prince to the Leica King - as well as MUCH cheaper and with auto stop-down.
    Robmac is right about the Voigtlander 180mm/4: I was looking to buy this lens but I could not find any used sample in the market that current owners were willing to sell. It says a lot about this lens! Let's hope that Voigtlander will consider remanufacturing this lens in a SLII version one day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW,
    i took these 2 shots from this morning. Nothing special here, I just want to share the look that i got from Apo 90/2 at F2 (wide-open)
    the bokeh from the light is really "circle" so different from Zeiss 100/2 @F2, which is tend to be an "oval" bokeh.

another snap shot, to show the bokeh from F2 Apo 90/2
    Andree

I had some issues with my Hasselblad 110 2.0 used with an adapter on my Nikon D3. I talked about it with Son Minh Pham, the resident expert on adapters here and elsewhere, and he told me that adapter thickness can create color fringing regardless of the performance of the lens. He checked out the 110 on his 203FE and could find no hint of fringing. So I tried two different adapters for the Nikon..........one from Novoflex and one from Fotodiox. Both are very well made by the way. Anyway, the results are that there is definite color fringing from the Fotodiox and little to none with the Novoflex!

So you may be having problems with the Leitax mount. I had the 90AA for use with my DMR/R9 and found no color fringing! Now you still may have a lens which is not performing as advertised which is something you will have to have Leica look in to unless you know someone who has a DMR for you to check it on.

Hope this provides some help.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning guys
    Hi Episa, thx you for the small dose of poison i like it.

Hi Robmac, u mention about leica 180/2 APO, could you please share ur experience using this lens? It's on my "wish list" too
    I used to own Nikon 200/2 VR, however, i sold it due to the weight... very hard to cary around for taking pics of the model

Hi Woody, that's interesting..!!
    Now I really want to try my 90/2 Apo on DMR, but sadly no one own DMR/R9 in Indonesia (not that I know)
    I tried to take some pics again this morning using 90/2 Apo + D3x (JPG FINE setting)
    here is another example @F2
    resize only

\

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    From my experience this lens is very sharp from medium to infinity focus
    However, from medium to nearest focus, this lens is not very sharp (it "glowing" a bit, just like LUX 801/4)

Andree
    Last edited by deepdiver; 14th May 2009 at 18:22.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Andree,
    here are some shots with the 180/2 Apo-Summicron. It's an outstanding lens, though big, heavy and not really suitable for travelling or much for hand-held use. Focusing is a snap and sharpness is excellent even wide open.
    It is not quite as clinical looking as the Apo 180/2,8. All these taken with the Canon 1DsIII.
    Btw. Guy made some great portraits with this lens and the DMR.
    Last edited by Arne Hvaring; 21st September 2009 at 11:21.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I installed the Leitax bayonet on a 180/2.8 APO today, and here are a couple of tests shots taken with a lowly D40x (click on images for 100%.) The green focus assist was spot on...

This is just astounding. Hand held from about 15 feet away, 1/400 at f/2.8. No sharpening or any adjustments.

Last edited by monza; 15th May 2009 at 17:03.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=monza;99548]I installed the Leitax bayonet on a 180/2.8 APO today, and here are a couple of tests shots taken with a lowly D40x (click on images for 100%.) The green focus assist was spot on...

This is just astounding. Hand held from about 15 feet away, 1/400 at f/2.8. No sharpening or any adjustments.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am glad you like it Monza: I am sure that you will have plenty of fun with it as I do.

Andree: on May 12 , I mentioned that this is a clinically very sharp lens and I took the example of a portrait I took of my 70 year old dad with this Leica 180mm f/2.8 APO lens. There is definitely nothing artistic about this portrait taken under harsh sun light with no fill. This is just to make my point on sharpness.

Now when I do a 200% magnification with no sharpening at all of this picture taken hand held, I get this clinical and gross magnification of the nose with all unwanted details/imperfections. It is very impressive to me that I can have this "microscope view" of the pores of someone's skin from a headshot taken 5 meters away. This is what I meant in my May 12 message when I talked about a clinical and sickly sharp lens!

Needless to say that this lens is not recommended for portrait of your girlfriend or wife without some softening filter (I can imagine the abusive use of the Leica 180mm APO as a cause of divorce )

Photo taken with Nikon D700 and Leica Elmarit 180mm APO on following settings:
    Fine JPEG format, Large file size, Vivid settings, 1/2000s f/2.8 and ISO 200. No post processing other than increasing shadows to correct initial exposure and cropping 200% for the second photo.

I am wondering if using a tripod would have furthermore enhanced the details....

Post Thanks / Like

As Arne mentions the 180/2 is a gorgeous lens. The 180/2.8 may be a 1/2 a hair sharper at 2.8, but there is a limit to how fussy someone can be. The tripod foot is brilliant as a hand rest, but the lens is heavy. Feels like a small torpedo warhead. Picture an all-metal 200/2, sans the AF hardware. VERY smooth focusing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They are both totally brilliant lenses, but I think the 180/2.8 is far, far, FAR more practical. For almost all intents and purposes, their optical performance is identical, but the 2.8 obviously is one stop slower. What you gain by sacrificing this stop is a lens that weighs 970g instead of 2500g, so 1.5x lighter, one that uses a 67mm filter instead of odd series 6 filter in a drawer, and a lens that fits easily in a bag, is easy to shoot handheld and is half the price (or less). Unless you are going to be shooting at f/2 all day long, the 180mm elmarit has so many advantages with essentially no sacrifices. The extra stop does not even really help you with handholding since the lens is so much heavier. And seriously, you must try before you buy. It is hard to convey in words how much larger the 180/2 is. It focuses smoothly and is a nice lens to hold for its size, but the 180/2.8's focus is just as smooth and balances better on most cameras.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I used to own Nikon 200/2 VR, however, i sold it due to the weight... very hard to cary around for taking pics of the model
    Andree, I believe the Leica APO 2/180 is only approx. 400g less heavy than your Nikkor 2/200 VR ...

Weight: 2900 g
    Nikkor AF-S 200mm f/2 G IF ED VR

Leica APO-Summicron-R 180mm f/2
    Weight: 2500 g

Post Thanks / Like

I never would have thought...(the 200/2 outweighed the 180/2). I 2nd SR's thoughts. Unless you really want F2.0, the 2.8 APO or the Cv 180/4 is FAR more practical. Both fit in a modest coat pocket and are sharp as hell, nice bokeh, nice color, etc., etc. The 180/2 is also harder to sell -- big $$$ leap for most folks for that extra stop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    They are both totally brilliant lenses, but I think the 180/2.8 is far, far, FAR more practical. For almost all intents and purposes, their optical performance is identical, but the 2.8 obviously is one stop slower. What you gain by sacrificing this stop is a lens that weighs 970g instead of 2500g, so 1.5x lighter, one that uses a 67mm filter instead of odd series 6 filter in a drawer, and a lens that fits easily in a bag, is easy to shoot handheld and is half the price (or less). Unless you are going to be shooting at f/2 all day long, the 180mm elmarit has so many advantages with essentially no sacrifices. The extra stop does not even really help you with handholding since the lens is so much heavier. And seriously, you must try before you buy. It is hard to convey in words how much larger the 180/2 is. It focuses smoothly and is a nice lens to hold for its size, but the 180/2.8's focus is just as smooth and balances better on most cameras.
    I agree with most of that, and yet... For me personally the 180/2 is simply the nicer lens. Having used both extensively, I find the Summicron to have a more rounded, relaxed drawing of the image without sacrificing detail. Of course beauty (or in this case drawing) is in the eye of the beholder so YMMV. Both represent SOTA for their respective speeds.
    For light handheld lenses in this FR, I use either the 180/3,4 Apo-Telyt for unsurpassed resolution, or Canon's excellent (and I think underrated) 70-200/4 IS zoom. For which, unfortunately, Nikon has no equivalent

Post Thanks / Like

so far from my experience with 50mm lens, none of them is suitable to my taste...
    Andree
    For regular shots, why not use the Leica M8.2? Like you, I have not found any suitable 50mm lenses but the LTM/M range of 50mm lenses from the 1930s to the latest ASPH lenses has no equal (Ernostars, Sonnars, Planars, etc).

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys
    After reading all the information that U all give to me, I think it's better to go with either Leica 180 F2.8 APO or Leica 70-180 F2.8
    those 2 lenses are a lot smaller and lighter compare to Leica 180/2 APO
    Now I really need to find out, is Leica 70-180 a great lens or not? it's so hard to get some information about this lens... not many people own this lens.
    I also already email David Leitax, asked him about the bayonet for this lens, however, until today he hasn't reply back to me.

Hacker : I really love to get Leica 8.2, i think it's good idea I dunno when Lieca is going to come out with full-frame Leica M 9.
    just imagine Full frame Leica M9... so beautiful

for the moment, i'm still enjoying my APO 90/2
    one from today @F2 + D3X
    Last edited by deepdiver; 17th May 2009 at 06:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Andree

You describe the 180 2.8 and the 70-180 to be lighter lenses. That is certainly true for the 180 but the 70-180 weighs over 4 lbs! I owned one and absolutely could not stand it. On a tripod it was great but handheld it was so unwieldy!

Just for information.

Woody

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Another 180/2.8 APO on the D40x, with 100% crop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Andree

You describe the 180 2.8 and the 70-180 to be lighter lenses. That is certainly true for the 180 but the 70-180 weighs over 4 lbs! I owned one and absolutely could not stand it. On a tripod it was great but handheld it was so unwieldy!

Just for information.

Woody
    Hi Woody.
    I already realize about the weight of leica 70-180
    could u please give me some information about this lens? such as sharpness, bokeh etc

Thank You
    Andree