Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: New Life :Leica R lens on Nikon D3

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Life :Leica R lens on Nikon D3

The 180 2,8 apo is a great lens, the only problem are the
    sawlike reflections at f4 and 5,6. The old Nikkor Ais 180ED 2,8 is
    far better in this case. Here a sample of the picture and a 100% crop.

Y Sol
    Last edited by Y Sol; 8th June 2009 at 06:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    Hi Woody.
    I already realize about the weight of leica 70-180
    could u please give me some information about this lens? such as sharpness, bokeh etc

Thank You
    Andree
    Andree

so long as you are using it on a tripod you can get really great results. But I found that handholding was simply impossible. Now granted I am over 70 years old (72 actually) and trying to keep everything stable while handholding such a heavy and unwieldy lens is just not in the cards for me. You youngsters may be O.K. but before commiting to the price for this lens I would try it first to see how it works.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

New Life :Leica R lens on Nikon DSLR

Hello Guys:

I like very much the technical discussions of this forum and find myself obsessed with sharpness, bokeh, shape of diaphragm in the highlights; so like others I get caught taking pictures of brick walls and other unemotional topics for the pleasure of scrutinizing the sharpness of a 100% brick wall crop taken with this or that lens.

In the process I forget to enjoy taking the time to take photographs for the fun of the content.

So I decided to have fun with my Leica 180mm f2.8 APO lens and will share with this group these two samples taken recently.

These two grandpas were obviously not interested or did not noticed the missed opportunity as they were contemplating the forest sitting on this bench.

In the second shot I tried to do some panning with the manual focus lens (Leica 180mm APO f2.8 mounted on Nikon D700) knowing that the depth of field was small at f/2.8 and that the shot taken at 1/15s would not be tack sharp since I was hand holding the lens. I need to refine the technique but I was already nicely surprised that I could get a shot like that without the assistance of the AF-C mode and a AF-S Nikon lens. That was a fun experiment.

Post Thanks / Like

Old age is a scary thing.. priorities go all wall-eyed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

... great, episa ...
    the first is priceless
    the second is a winner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post
    ... great, episa ...
    the first is priceless
    the second is a winner
    Thanks Bondo for the cheers.
    Here is a last one where I played with colors and curves. Also taken with Leica 180 APO f2.8 on D700.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by episa View Post
    Thanks Bondo for the cheers.
    Here is a last one where I played with colors and curves. Also taken with Leica 180 APO f2.8 on D700.
    Gorgeous!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Smile Re: New Life :Leica R lens on Nikon D3

Rollei Sonnar 85mm + Nikon D300. Thanks for looking. Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rollei Sonnar 85mm + Nikon D300. Aperture wide open @ f2.8. Thanks for looking. Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica R Summicron 50mm + Nikon D300. Aperture Wide Open. Thanks for looking. Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So beautiful, 77
    I have the 50 Cron, maybe I neeed to leitax it just a little bit while waiting for the R10

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Some great stuff, Leica 77. That lens and camera combination definitely do nice things!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Leica77, how is the focus accuracy of the 50/2 Summicron? I converted one, but had serious difficulty, focus confirmation would light, but the images were not focused. I ended up selling the lens.

I'm wondering if one of the Katz Eye or other split image screens would work better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello bondo, Llyod, and monza,
    Greetings! Many thanks for your kind feedback. As to the focus accuracy of the 50/2 Summicron, I agree with monza that it isn't easy to obtain the optimal focus accuracy. I had to practice a lot to get used to the lens. The Katz Eye split image screens are certainly viable options. My Olympus E-330 has one of those installed and the focus accuracy is excellent. As to the other lens, the focusing seems easier with the Sonnar 85mm medium telephoto lens on my D300 without a split image screen. Best regards. Lecia 77

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leica 77 View Post
    Rollei Sonnar 85mm + Nikon D300. Aperture wide open @ f2.8. Thanks for looking. Leica 77
    Very nice Leica77!.
    How did you adapt this Rollei lens on D300? I am not familiar with these lenses. Who made them?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello episa,
    Many thanks for your kind feedback. The Rollei Sonnar 85mm was produced at least with two different lens mounts -- 1) Rollei SL35 mount and 2) Pentax/Praktica M42 thread mount. The one I own is the latter type made in Germany -- presumably by Carl Zeiss. Best regards, Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like

How bout Leica lenses on the old 5D ? Still has lots of life in it. I have the D700 coming but haven't decided whether to convert the Leica lenses to F mount. I might just go with the Zeiss ZF route.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cdnguyen View Post
    How bout Leica lenses on the old 5D ? Still has lots of life in it. I have the D700 coming but haven't decided whether to convert the Leica lenses to F mount. I might just go with the Zeiss ZF route.
    Beautiful images.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Leica77, how is the focus accuracy of the 50/2 Summicron? I converted one, but had serious difficulty, focus confirmation would light, but the images were not focused. I ended up selling the lens.

I'm wondering if one of the Katz Eye or other split image screens would work better.
    Monza,

I use leica r on my D700, and have no problems with focusing. I use the standard D700, no katz-eye or similar.
    The focus confirmation in the lower left i use as well but without focusing my eye on it, it stays in the periphery and is a welcome addition. Up to F5.6 you get the round symbol, from 5.6 and smaller (i rarely go to smaller f) the two arrows appear when in focus.
    Having said this, the mechanical accuracy required to focus properly on infinity demand that the bajonet is mounted absolutely correct. To achieve this, I wipe both mounting surfaces (bajonet and lens barrel) with a lintfree pad using just a tiny but of the alreadypresent grease, wipe it thoroughly. I have nof focus or ininity problems on any of my lenses. On my summicron 35 i needed to remove and clean the mounting surfaces to get it correct. I left a bit of grease film there, something like 0.1 mm or less, that was just enough to offset the focus to infinity back to some 50-100meters. That is now fixed.

Regards,

Jan R.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello,
    In the Golden Age of the Nikon F5 (35mm film camera), I enjoyed using the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconverter coupled with manual Nikkor lenses. With the use of this converter, the manual Nikkor lenses became auto-focus lenses.

I put the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconverter to my trusted Nikon D2H DSLR and placed the Summicron R 50mm lens that has been converted to the Nikon F mount using the Leitax mount. Now, the Summicron R 50mm lens works just like a normal auto-focus lens on the Nikon D2H through the use of the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconverter. Of course, the focal length is now longer than 50mm. However, it works great as a short telephoto lens for portrait and nature photography with auto-focus capability.

Just to see if the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconverter would work on my Nikon D300 DSLR, I put the two together. However, this combination did not work, probably due to the lack of certain electrical contacts. I suspect the newer Nikon DSLRs (such as D700, D3 and D3x) have lost their compatibility with the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconverter. At the same time, I anticipate that the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconverter would work on the older Nikon D2X and D2Xs DSLR cameras. Best regards, Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Using the above photo equipment set up (Nikon D2H + Nikon TC-16A + Leica R 50mm Summicron with Leitax Nikon F Mount, the following image was made. The Leica R 50mm lens was transformed to an AF lens using the Nikon TC-16A. Thank you for looking. Leica 77
    Last edited by Leica 77; 2nd July 2009 at 03:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon D2H + Nikon TC-16A + Leica R 19mm Elmarit with Leitax Nikon F Mount. Thank you for looking. Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Can you explain how the Nikon TC-16A make the leitax mount autofocus ?

Using the above photo equipment set up (Nikon D2H + Nikon TC-16A + Leica R 50mm Summicron with Leitax Nikon F Mount, the following image was made. The Leica R 50mm lens was transformed to an AF lens using the Nikon TC-16A. Thank you for looking. Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello tdong,
    Many thanks for your inquiry. The following website provides answers to your question better than I can:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...c16a/index.htm

The small 5-element lenses inside the Nikon TC-16A move and enable the manual lenses (in this case Leica R lenses) to become auto-focus. Perhaps, the Nikon TC-16A was one of the most creative inventions and accessaries Nikon produced at the time of transition from MF to AF cameras. Best regards, Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lots wow

Just bought one on ebay for $100 I guess it works fine with my D2H without modification.

http://www.cocoon-creations.com/down...co_Mostert.pdf

Mod to work with other Nikon bodies very interesting

Hello tdong,
    Many thanks for your inquiry. The following website provides answers to your question better than I can:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...c16a/index.htm

The small 5-element lenses inside the Nikon TC-16A move and enable the manual lenses (in this case Leica R lenses) to become auto-focus. Perhaps, the Nikon TC-16A was one of the most creative inventions and accessaries Nikon produced at the time of transition from MF to AF cameras. Best regards, Leica 77
    Last edited by tdong; 15th June 2009 at 14:04.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello tdong,
    Greetings! You will be pleased with the combination of the Nikon D2H and the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconverter + Manual Focus (MF) lenses. It is almost like a dream come true that my Leica R lenses are now auto-focus lenses!!! We do not have to worry about focus confirmation lights, split image screens, etc., since the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconverter provides you with accurate auto-focus capabilities. Best regards, Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The second image of the Nikon SP Black in the preceeding post was recorded using the following digital photo equipment set up. Nikon D2H + Nikon AF Teleconverter TC-16A + Leica R 19mm Elmarit with Leitax mount. With this combination, the Leica R 19mm Elmarit lens was transformed to an auto-focus lens. Thank you for looking. Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Please don't take this as any disrespect Leica77, but aren't you losing any benefit of shooting with the Leica lenses by using a Nikon teleconverter? Teleconverters in general degrade performance a lot unless they were specifically matched to a lens, and by putting a Nikon TC in front of a Leica lens, it is one of those "weakest link in the chain" things. It is very cool that it can turn a manual focus Leica lens into an AF one, but I would bet that a Nikon lens in the resulting focal length would be better than the Leica one after tele-conversion.
    For example, that 19mm and 1.6 TC turns into a 30mm f/4.8...I bet Nikon's 28 and 35mm lenses are significantly better...
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello Stuart,

Many thanks for your constructive feedback. Indeed, your point is well taken. In my personal experience, teleconverters made by third party manufacturers tend to downgrade the quality of the lenses attached(whether Nikkor or Leica lenses), as you rightly pointed out. In principle, I agree with you that the retention of image quality is probably compromised to varying degrees when a teleconverter is used. Looking at the images produced with the use of the Nikon AF TC-16A, however, the quality seems surprising good, exceeding my expectations. Once again, your point is well taken and much appreciated. Respectfully yours, Leica 77

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Please don't take this as any disrespect Leica77, but aren't you losing any benefit of shooting with the Leica lenses by using a Nikon teleconverter? Teleconverters in general degrade performance a lot unless they were specifically matched to a lens, and by putting a Nikon TC in front of a Leica lens, it is one of those "weakest link in the chain" things. It is very cool that it can turn a manual focus Leica lens into an AF one, but I would bet that a Nikon lens in the resulting focal length would be better than the Leica one after tele-conversion.
    For example, that 19mm and 1.6 TC turns into a 30mm f/4.8...I bet Nikon's 28 and 35mm lenses are significantly better...
    Killjoy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hahaha, I feel like I have been raining on people's parades recently....I have not had as many photos to post since I am busy, and I have mostly been responding with critiques and so on. I still think the TC is a very cool thing, but I guess it is maybe not as practical as just using a Nikon lens. But if you don't have a Nikon lens in that focal length, I can see how it would be very useful. And of course better than just using a regular non-af TC!
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook