The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Life :Leica R lens on Nikon D3

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
So beautiful, 77 :thumbup:
I have the 50 Cron, maybe I neeed to leitax it just a little bit while waiting for the R10 :angel:

monza

Leica77, how is the focus accuracy of the 50/2 Summicron? I converted one, but had serious difficulty, focus confirmation would light, but the images were not focused. I ended up selling the lens.

I'm wondering if one of the Katz Eye or other split image screens would work better.

Leica 77

Hello bondo, Llyod, and monza,
Greetings! Many thanks for your kind feedback. As to the focus accuracy of the 50/2 Summicron, I agree with monza that it isn't easy to obtain the optimal focus accuracy. I had to practice a lot to get used to the lens. The Katz Eye split image screens are certainly viable options. My Olympus E-330 has one of those installed and the focus accuracy is excellent. As to the other lens, the focusing seems easier with the Sonnar 85mm medium telephoto lens on my D300 without a split image screen. Best regards. Lecia 77

Leica 77

Hello episa,
Many thanks for your kind feedback. The Rollei Sonnar 85mm was produced at least with two different lens mounts -- 1) Rollei SL35 mount and 2) Pentax/Praktica M42 thread mount. The one I own is the latter type made in Germany -- presumably by Carl Zeiss. Best regards, Leica 77

cdnguyen

How bout Leica lenses on the old 5D ? Still has lots of life in it. I have the D700 coming but haven't decided whether to convert the Leica lenses to F mount. I might just go with the Zeiss ZF route.

JanRSmit

Leica77, how is the focus accuracy of the 50/2 Summicron? I converted one, but had serious difficulty, focus confirmation would light, but the images were not focused. I ended up selling the lens.

I'm wondering if one of the Katz Eye or other split image screens would work better.
Monza,

I use leica r on my D700, and have no problems with focusing. I use the standard D700, no katz-eye or similar.
The focus confirmation in the lower left i use as well but without focusing my eye on it, it stays in the periphery and is a welcome addition. Up to F5.6 you get the round symbol, from 5.6 and smaller (i rarely go to smaller f) the two arrows appear when in focus.
Having said this, the mechanical accuracy required to focus properly on infinity demand that the bajonet is mounted absolutely correct. To achieve this, I wipe both mounting surfaces (bajonet and lens barrel) with a lintfree pad using just a tiny but of the alreadypresent grease, wipe it thoroughly. I have nof focus or ininity problems on any of my lenses. On my summicron 35 i needed to remove and clean the mounting surfaces to get it correct. I left a bit of grease film there, something like 0.1 mm or less, that was just enough to offset the focus to infinity back to some 50-100meters. That is now fixed.

Regards,

Jan R.

Leica 77

Hello,
In the Golden Age of the Nikon F5 (35mm film camera), I enjoyed using the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconverter coupled with manual Nikkor lenses. With the use of this converter, the manual Nikkor lenses became auto-focus lenses.

I put the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconverter to my trusted Nikon D2H DSLR and placed the Summicron R 50mm lens that has been converted to the Nikon F mount using the Leitax mount. Now, the Summicron R 50mm lens works just like a normal auto-focus lens on the Nikon D2H through the use of the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconverter. Of course, the focal length is now longer than 50mm. However, it works great as a short telephoto lens for portrait and nature photography with auto-focus capability.

Just to see if the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconverter would work on my Nikon D300 DSLR, I put the two together. However, this combination did not work, probably due to the lack of certain electrical contacts. I suspect the newer Nikon DSLRs (such as D700, D3 and D3x) have lost their compatibility with the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconverter. At the same time, I anticipate that the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconverter would work on the older Nikon D2X and D2Xs DSLR cameras. Best regards, Leica 77 :)

Leica 77

Using the above photo equipment set up (Nikon D2H + Nikon TC-16A + Leica R 50mm Summicron with Leitax Nikon F Mount, the following image was made. The Leica R 50mm lens was transformed to an AF lens using the Nikon TC-16A. Thank you for looking. Leica 77 :)

Last edited:

tdong

Hi

Can you explain how the Nikon TC-16A make the leitax mount autofocus ?

Using the above photo equipment set up (Nikon D2H + Nikon TC-16A + Leica R 50mm Summicron with Leitax Nikon F Mount, the following image was made. The Leica R 50mm lens was transformed to an AF lens using the Nikon TC-16A. Thank you for looking. Leica 77 :)

Leica 77

Hello tdong,
Many thanks for your inquiry. The following website provides answers to your question better than I can:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/teleconverter/tc16a/index.htm

The small 5-element lenses inside the Nikon TC-16A move and enable the manual lenses (in this case Leica R lenses) to become auto-focus. Perhaps, the Nikon TC-16A was one of the most creative inventions and accessaries Nikon produced at the time of transition from MF to AF cameras. Best regards, Leica 77 :)

tdong

Thanks a lots wow

Just bought one on ebay for $100 I guess it works fine with my D2H without modification.

http://www.cocoon-creations.com/download/TC-16A_mods_comments_Jaco_Mostert.pdf

Mod to work with other Nikon bodies very interesting :)

Hello tdong,
Many thanks for your inquiry. The following website provides answers to your question better than I can:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/teleconverter/tc16a/index.htm

The small 5-element lenses inside the Nikon TC-16A move and enable the manual lenses (in this case Leica R lenses) to become auto-focus. Perhaps, the Nikon TC-16A was one of the most creative inventions and accessaries Nikon produced at the time of transition from MF to AF cameras. Best regards, Leica 77 :)

Last edited:

Leica 77

Hello tdong,
Greetings! You will be pleased with the combination of the Nikon D2H and the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconverter + Manual Focus (MF) lenses. It is almost like a dream come true that my Leica R lenses are now auto-focus lenses!!! We do not have to worry about focus confirmation lights, split image screens, etc., since the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconverter provides you with accurate auto-focus capabilities. Best regards, Leica 77

Leica 77

The second image of the Nikon SP Black in the preceeding post was recorded using the following digital photo equipment set up. Nikon D2H + Nikon AF Teleconverter TC-16A + Leica R 19mm Elmarit with Leitax mount. With this combination, the Leica R 19mm Elmarit lens was transformed to an auto-focus lens. Thank you for looking. Leica 77 :)

Stuart Richardson

Please don't take this as any disrespect Leica77, but aren't you losing any benefit of shooting with the Leica lenses by using a Nikon teleconverter? Teleconverters in general degrade performance a lot unless they were specifically matched to a lens, and by putting a Nikon TC in front of a Leica lens, it is one of those "weakest link in the chain" things. It is very cool that it can turn a manual focus Leica lens into an AF one, but I would bet that a Nikon lens in the resulting focal length would be better than the Leica one after tele-conversion.
For example, that 19mm and 1.6 TC turns into a 30mm f/4.8...I bet Nikon's 28 and 35mm lenses are significantly better...

Leica 77

Hello Stuart,

Many thanks for your constructive feedback. Indeed, your point is well taken. In my personal experience, teleconverters made by third party manufacturers tend to downgrade the quality of the lenses attached(whether Nikkor or Leica lenses), as you rightly pointed out. In principle, I agree with you that the retention of image quality is probably compromised to varying degrees when a teleconverter is used. Looking at the images produced with the use of the Nikon AF TC-16A, however, the quality seems surprising good, exceeding my expectations. Once again, your point is well taken and much appreciated. Respectfully yours, Leica 77 :)