The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CV Color Skopar 20mm f/3.5 SL II coming for Nikon/Pentax

etrigan63

Mr. Kobayashi has announced another lens in the SL II line for Nikon/Pentax. This time around is the Color Skopar 20mm f/3.5 SL II. Lens is due out by 2/28/2009 and Stephen Gandy is taking pre-orders with $100 down. Final pricing to be announced on launch day.

You can read the specs here. Unlike the classic Color Skopars of the past, this lens contains aspherical elements.

pgmj

It could make a nice travel combo with the 40/2. It's good to see new pancake designs (it looks really compact) that isn't just for Pentax.

etrigan63

Cameraquest has updated their site to include pre-order info for the 20mm Color Skopar SL II. No final price yet, but let's all cross our fingers that it remains consistent with the other two SL II lenses.

robmac

Yeah, but US street price of the SLIIs is sub $400.

Or just wait for some early adopter to switch to the ZF 21. I just picked up a clean used 58/1.4+Hood to go along with my 90/3.5 & 180/4 APOs for US$290.

Now if the only used 75/2.5s weren't so $%^& costly. With the 90 and an 80 Lux, spending $500 on a 75/2.5 just makes no sense - even to me ;>

eosslr

cameraquest's price is $549 - higher then 58/1.4 and 40/2. can somebody comment if this is better then oly 21/3.5

robmac

So much for common sense - my 75/2.5 SL AiS should be here Monday ;>

Yeah, but US street price of the SLIIs is sub $400.

Or just wait for some early adopter to switch to the ZF 21. I just picked up a clean used 58/1.4+Hood to go along with my 90/3.5 & 180/4 APOs for US$290.

Now if the only used 75/2.5s weren't so $%^& costly. With the 90 and an 80 Lux, spending $500 on a 75/2.5 just makes no sense - even to me ;>

viablex1

hey thanks for replying, did you get it from cameraquest? I love the 40mm it really kicks some ***!!!

M

Mort54

hey thanks for replying, did you get it from cameraquest? I love the 40mm it really kicks some ***!!!
I did. This will be my first Voightlander, and I bought it on the strength of the 40mm and 58mm reviews. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's in the same mold as those lenses. It's also a bit of an equipment makeover for me - I'm trying to lighten the load, in an attempt to make my photography more about taking pictures, and less about schlepping pounds and pounds of big heavy f/2.8 zooms all over the place.

Now if only the USPS had been able to cram the box into my mail box, I'd be a happy camper. Instead they left a notice to come pick it up tomorrow at the post office.

routlaw

I got interested in these lenses awhile back, but had the wind taken out of my sails after reading the reviews of some of them on the web link below. Am I missing something? It would appear you all are finding these lenses to be excellent though. From this guys comments the mechanical properties are exceptional but optical nothing special. I'm confused.

Thanks

Rob

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests

M

Mort54

I've checked out the reviews on that site as well and consider the review on the 58 CV to be extremely positive - great MTFs in the aperture range used by landscape shooters (which is my main interest), great CA numbers, very low distortion, and a reputation for very low field curvature numbers. The review on the 40 is a little less positive. They don't test as well as Zeiss wide open, that's for sure, so I think most of the excitement is coming from folks more interested in landscape work. A few other reasons they are well received is the build quality (all metal construction and silky smooth manual focussing), the cost (under $400 USD for the 40 and 58, so considerably less expensive than the Zeiss's), and the weight.

Diglloyd's subscription DAP site also reviews them and in his side by side comparisons with the equivalent Zeiss lenses, there's little to fault on them.

Here's a quote from the Photozone review on the 58 - "The sheer resolution potential is unleashed at medium aperture settings where the lens is about as good as it gets today. The level of distortions is negligible in field conditions and lateral CAs as well as vignetting are not much of an issue either. The lens is absolutely beautifully crafted and a joy to use despite the lack of AF." The overexposure issue mentioned in the review was a problem with the early batch, and has been fixed.

Last edited: