The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CV Color Skopar 20mm f/3.5 SL II coming for Nikon/Pentax

etrigan63

Stephen Gandy posted the following email today:

The first shipment of Nikon mount SLII 20/3.5 has arrived and gone. 2nd shipment arrives in about 10 days
info here http://cameraquest.com/Voigt_SL2.htm

The new Fuji / Voigtlander 120 Rangefinder folder is generating a lot of interest, so much so that release of the Fuji version in Japan was delayed so Fuji could ship all the orders to all the dealers at once. Announcement on home page http://cameraquest.com I am taking $100 deposits for the first shipment which is expected to ship in May / June. A page with Photokina pics will be up in a few days.

The new Leica M mount 15/4.5 and new 15-35 is quite interesting, expected to ship towards end of April.
http://cameraquest.com/voigt_15m.htm
http://cameraquest.com/voigt_1535_vf.htm
Likewise taking $100 refundable deposits for first shipment.

Are there other new Voigtlander products waiting to be released this year? Time will tell.

Stephen

viablex1

I have been using it on my D700 not a D200 etc, the colors are off the hook, it is a great lens, I bought the 20mm yesterday , I hope I don't have to wait 10 days..

matto

M

Mort54

I finally got to play (err, ahem, I mean work) with my CV 20 today, and I have a few thoughts on the lens.

Great build quality (nothing surprising there). Tiny and light, which is just what I was looking for.

The lens cap sucks. Flimsy, doesn't grab the lens as well as I'd like, and will probably fall off at the first opportunity. Can't put the lens cap on when you have the lens shade attached.

It seems to have the same overexposure problem that early versions of the 58 did. On an outside mid-tone scene at mid-day with a nice sunny sky, I have to dial in -2 ev compensation to get the camera to meter the scene correctly. It's basically a "sunny f16" exposure, and with 0 ev dialed in, the scene overexposes by 2 stops. Not really a problem as long as you know about it, but still, I thought they had this issue all sorted out.

I haven't done anything yet that can be used to judge sharpness. Today I basically shot hand held. For critical sharpness testing, I would want to use a tripod, mirror up, cable release, and magnified live view focussing. That'll have to wait for another day.

Last edited:

etrigan63

You should check with Stephen to see if that is happening with any other lenses or you just got the usual sample variation. If it is prevalent then CV should repair the issue for free.

M

Mort54

Hi Carlos. I'm going to do some more testing first, just to make sure it's not me doing something stupid. Judging from how Stephen handled the prior problem, I'm not concerned. I know he'll make it right. In the meantime, I'm just more aggressive about dialing in negative compensation when that lens is on the camera.

etrigan63

Mort,
I just found out that a Nikon 67mm lens cap fits snugly in the hood. You may want to look into that.

M

Mort54

Yes they do. A much better solution than the stock cap. Thanks for the tip.

woodyspedden

Mine arrived two days ago as well. I am currently running some (boring) tests and I must say that the sharpness into the corners is impressive. The lens is very small and would pair well with the G1 I suspect. (My G1 should arrive Saturday so I will be able to check that out.)

I will be posting some shots soon to show the performance.

Woody

etrigan63

As you wish:

First: proof it exists

Barrel Distortion Test

Architecture (and really harsh light)

Mini Cooper

I will post close ups and a sharpness test tomorrow.

Amin

Could one of the mods/admins PM me as to whether my post in this thread was deleted or maybe I imagined that I posted it?

If the former, that's something that I would like to know so I can avoid wasting my time in the future.

Stuart Richardson

Thanks Carlos! It looks like the distortion isn't too bad for a 20mm, it doesn't seem to be flare prone, and it looks nice and tiny. Seems like a good bet!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Could one of the mods/admins PM me as to whether my post in this thread was deleted or maybe I imagined that I posted it?

If the former, that's something that I would like to know so I can avoid wasting my time in the future.
There has been no deletion of any post at all in this thread. I can see all the deletions on this forum from the mods. and there is nothing in this thread at all. Not sure what happened or what but nothing from our end.

Stuart Richardson

Looks great Carlos! Thanks for posting these...the New York lines are good to see...they show that the lens does not have much in the way of distortion...

Terry

I know Cameraquest sold out and the lens is now on back order. Anywhere else to pick one up?

jph

B&H and Adorama are selling them now, but have them as back ordered. I ordered one from B&H. No word yet.
Jim