Site Sponsors

Thread: CV Color Skopar 20mm f/3.5 SL II coming for Nikon/Pentax

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

CV Color Skopar 20mm f/3.5 SL II coming for Nikon/Pentax

Mr. Kobayashi has announced another lens in the SL II line for Nikon/Pentax. This time around is the Color Skopar 20mm f/3.5 SL II. Lens is due out by 2/28/2009 and Stephen Gandy is taking pre-orders with $100 down. Final pricing to be announced on launch day.

You can read the specs here. Unlike the classic Color Skopars of the past, this lens contains aspherical elements.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CV Color Skopar 20mm f/3.5 SL II coming for Nikon/Pentax

It could make a nice travel combo with the 40/2. It's good to see new pancake designs (it looks really compact) that isn't just for Pentax.

Post Thanks / Like

more info but not in English
    http://www.photoscala.de/Artikel/Col...igtl%C3%A4nder

400 Euros

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

He also had a pic of the metal screw in lens hood. I have no idea where he got that from.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is nice. I look forward to seeing resolution and distortion figures. I hope it is as good as the 40mm...
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cameraquest has updated their site to include pre-order info for the 20mm Color Skopar SL II. No final price yet, but let's all cross our fingers that it remains consistent with the other two SL II lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

The lens is now on voigtlaner.com website. They put it at the same price than the two other SLII lenses, i.e. 469 Euros!
    (Ref: http://www.voigtlander.com/cms/voigt...dih7pyj95.html)
    Francois B.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, but US street price of the SLIIs is sub $400.

Or just wait for some early adopter to switch to the ZF 21. I just picked up a clean used 58/1.4+Hood to go along with my 90/3.5 & 180/4 APOs for US$290.

Now if the only used 75/2.5s weren't so $%^& costly. With the 90 and an 80 Lux, spending $500 on a 75/2.5 just makes no sense - even to me ;>

Post Thanks / Like

Some first sample shots on a D300

http://www.flickr.com/photos/prime-shots/3353545746/

Post Thanks / Like

cameraquest's price is $549 - higher then 58/1.4 and 40/2. can somebody comment if this is better then oly 21/3.5

Post Thanks / Like

No idea re: Oly but better samples on nikoncafe as an FYI

Post Thanks / Like

So much for common sense - my 75/2.5 SL AiS should be here Monday ;>

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Yeah, but US street price of the SLIIs is sub $400.

Or just wait for some early adopter to switch to the ZF 21. I just picked up a clean used 58/1.4+Hood to go along with my 90/3.5 & 180/4 APOs for US$290.

Now if the only used 75/2.5s weren't so $%^& costly. With the 90 and an 80 Lux, spending $500 on a 75/2.5 just makes no sense - even to me ;>

Post Thanks / Like

anyone got this yet??? I love the 40!!!

Mort54

Quote Originally Posted by viablex1 View Post
    anyone got this yet??? I love the 40!!!
    My 20/3.5 should be arriving today. Won't get to shoot with it until this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

hey thanks for replying, did you get it from cameraquest? I love the 40mm it really kicks some ***!!!

Mort54

Quote Originally Posted by viablex1 View Post
    hey thanks for replying, did you get it from cameraquest? I love the 40mm it really kicks some ***!!!
    I did. This will be my first Voightlander, and I bought it on the strength of the 40mm and 58mm reviews. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's in the same mold as those lenses. It's also a bit of an equipment makeover for me - I'm trying to lighten the load, in an attempt to make my photography more about taking pictures, and less about schlepping pounds and pounds of big heavy f/2.8 zooms all over the place.

Now if only the USPS had been able to cram the box into my mail box, I'd be a happy camper. Instead they left a notice to come pick it up tomorrow at the post office.

Post Thanks / Like

well you have me on the edge of my seat!!! I think I am going to order one soon!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I got interested in these lenses awhile back, but had the wind taken out of my sails after reading the reviews of some of them on the web link below. Am I missing something? It would appear you all are finding these lenses to be excellent though. From this guys comments the mechanical properties are exceptional but optical nothing special. I'm confused.

Thanks

Rob

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests

Mort54

I've checked out the reviews on that site as well and consider the review on the 58 CV to be extremely positive - great MTFs in the aperture range used by landscape shooters (which is my main interest), great CA numbers, very low distortion, and a reputation for very low field curvature numbers. The review on the 40 is a little less positive. They don't test as well as Zeiss wide open, that's for sure, so I think most of the excitement is coming from folks more interested in landscape work. A few other reasons they are well received is the build quality (all metal construction and silky smooth manual focussing), the cost (under $400 USD for the 40 and 58, so considerably less expensive than the Zeiss's), and the weight.

Diglloyd's subscription DAP site also reviews them and in his side by side comparisons with the equivalent Zeiss lenses, there's little to fault on them.

Here's a quote from the Photozone review on the 58 - "The sheer resolution potential is unleashed at medium aperture settings where the lens is about as good as it gets today. The level of distortions is negligible in field conditions and lateral CAs as well as vignetting are not much of an issue either. The lens is absolutely beautifully crafted and a joy to use despite the lack of AF." The overexposure issue mentioned in the review was a problem with the early batch, and has been fixed.
    Last edited by Mort54; 2nd April 2009 at 07:51.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stephen Gandy posted the following email today:

The first shipment of Nikon mount SLII 20/3.5 has arrived and gone. 2nd shipment arrives in about 10 days
    info here http://cameraquest.com/Voigt_SL2.htm

The new Fuji / Voigtlander 120 Rangefinder folder is generating a lot of interest, so much so that release of the Fuji version in Japan was delayed so Fuji could ship all the orders to all the dealers at once. Announcement on home page http://cameraquest.com I am taking $100 deposits for the first shipment which is expected to ship in May / June. A page with Photokina pics will be up in a few days.

The new Leica M mount 15/4.5 and new 15-35 is quite interesting, expected to ship towards end of April.
    http://cameraquest.com/voigt_15m.htm
    http://cameraquest.com/voigt_1535_vf.htm
    Likewise taking $100 refundable deposits for first shipment.

Are there other new Voigtlander products waiting to be released this year? Time will tell.

Stephen

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using it on my D700 not a D200 etc, the colors are off the hook, it is a great lens, I bought the 20mm yesterday , I hope I don't have to wait 10 days..

matto

Mort54

I finally got to play (err, ahem, I mean work) with my CV 20 today, and I have a few thoughts on the lens.

Great build quality (nothing surprising there). Tiny and light, which is just what I was looking for.

The lens cap sucks. Flimsy, doesn't grab the lens as well as I'd like, and will probably fall off at the first opportunity. Can't put the lens cap on when you have the lens shade attached.

It seems to have the same overexposure problem that early versions of the 58 did. On an outside mid-tone scene at mid-day with a nice sunny sky, I have to dial in -2 ev compensation to get the camera to meter the scene correctly. It's basically a "sunny f16" exposure, and with 0 ev dialed in, the scene overexposes by 2 stops. Not really a problem as long as you know about it, but still, I thought they had this issue all sorted out.

I haven't done anything yet that can be used to judge sharpness. Today I basically shot hand held. For critical sharpness testing, I would want to use a tripod, mirror up, cable release, and magnified live view focussing. That'll have to wait for another day.
    Last edited by Mort54; 4th April 2009 at 14:55.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You should check with Stephen to see if that is happening with any other lenses or you just got the usual sample variation. If it is prevalent then CV should repair the issue for free.

Mort54

Hi Carlos. I'm going to do some more testing first, just to make sure it's not me doing something stupid. Judging from how Stephen handled the prior problem, I'm not concerned. I know he'll make it right. In the meantime, I'm just more aggressive about dialing in negative compensation when that lens is on the camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mort,
    I just found out that a Nikon 67mm lens cap fits snugly in the hood. You may want to look into that.

Mort54

Yes they do. A much better solution than the stock cap. Thanks for the tip.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine arrived today. 67mm cap works like a charm. I'll have meaningful pics by Friday night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine arrived two days ago as well. I am currently running some (boring) tests and I must say that the sharpness into the corners is impressive. The lens is very small and would pair well with the G1 I suspect. (My G1 should arrive Saturday so I will be able to check that out.)

I will be posting some shots soon to show the performance.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Let's see some photos already! Cats, brick walls, flowers, sunsets...bring 'em on. I just want to see how the lens draws!
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As you wish:

First: proof it exists

Barrel Distortion Test

Architecture (and really harsh light)

Mini Cooper

I will post close ups and a sharpness test tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Could one of the mods/admins PM me as to whether my post in this thread was deleted or maybe I imagined that I posted it?

If the former, that's something that I would like to know so I can avoid wasting my time in the future.
    -Amin Sabet

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Carlos! It looks like the distortion isn't too bad for a 20mm, it doesn't seem to be flare prone, and it looks nice and tiny. Seems like a good bet!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I neglected to mention that the barrel distortion test image was shot wide open.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    Could one of the mods/admins PM me as to whether my post in this thread was deleted or maybe I imagined that I posted it?

If the former, that's something that I would like to know so I can avoid wasting my time in the future.
    There has been no deletion of any post at all in this thread. I can see all the deletions on this forum from the mods. and there is nothing in this thread at all. Not sure what happened or what but nothing from our end.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More samples from my trip to the Big Apple. This lens has so much DOF that it is practically autofocus!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks great Carlos! Thanks for posting these...the New York lines are good to see...they show that the lens does not have much in the way of distortion...

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know Cameraquest sold out and the lens is now on back order. Anywhere else to pick one up?

Post Thanks / Like

B&H and Adorama are selling them now, but have them as back ordered. I ordered one from B&H. No word yet.
    Jim