The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The King is still king and...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The D810 remains an impressive cam even if comparing in medium format terms...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The S3 flew high and proud in terms of DR while it could. Still impressive technology that I know quite a few folks still really appreciate.

D810 vs A7Rii ... meh. Today EVERY damned camera is so much more capable of delivering results than the vast majority of us can shoot.

Btw, I love the image quality of the Sony A7 series overall but they have no idea regarding ergonomics vs the Nikons. That's the thing I miss ...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re Sony v Nikon --

Ergos: Agree -- Nikon is better for me too. The A7r was actually okay too, albeit smallish, but then Sony altered the ergos slightly smaller/tighter or something on the A7II and now A7rII to the point they just don't feel good at all in my hand -- and that alone was enough to make me pause.

Finder: I like and prefer Nikon's optical finder to Sony's EVF, at least with good AF lenses (and I have several). But, I will say Sony's focus peaking and 100% view is a dream for manual focus lenses and/or technical applications.

Rear LCD: Pretty much a toss-up here, but Sony's are articulated and that is a definite benefit over Nikon.

Image Quality: Not a lot of difference end of day. There is a shutter vibration issue present in the A7r that rendered it significantly poorer than Nikon as a tripod-mounted landscape camera, but I believe that was addressed in subsequent models -- but then IDK because I never bought into the line after the A7r. What I see from the A7rII looks great.

Lens selection: No contest here -- Sony while allowing you to attach virtually anything to the front of it, has very few fast, high quality AF options.

Versatility: No contest here -- Sony allows you to attach virtually anything to front of it, or between it and other lenses you might already own.

Misc comment: The EVF is also a dream for IR capture with filters over the lens -- and in fact, this is what I've relegated my single Sony body to. I had my A7r converted to full spectrum, sold my dedicated Sony MF lenses and sprung for a single Sony AF lens -- the 24-70/4 -- which in itself is only a so-so performer by picky user standards (edges go varying degrees of weak at any zoom or aperture). But since IR capture does not require extreme resolution to be useful, I am satisfied with this combo. It is also small and compact to the point it takes up minimal room in my bag, so it happens to be with me on the rare occasion I want to do something in the full-spectrum band.

End of day, there's certainly reasons for having both in anybody's camera bag...

V

Vivek

Misc comment: The EVF is also a dream for IR capture with filters over the lens -- and in fact, this is what I've relegated my single Sony body to. I had my A7r converted to full spectrum, sold my dedicated Sony MF lenses and sprung for a single Sony AF lens -- the 24-70/4 -- which in itself is only a so-so performer by picky user standards (edges go varying degrees of weak at any zoom or aperture). But since IR capture does not require extreme resolution to be useful, I am satisfied with this combo.
Two (EVF for IR and the resolution requirements for IR) excellent points! :thumbs:

For invisible spectra captures, Sony is the King and the Emperor. :)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Re Sony v Nikon --

Ergos: Agree -- Nikon is better for me too. The A7r was actually okay too, albeit smallish, but then Sony altered the ergos slightly smaller/tighter or something on the A7II and now A7rII to the point they just don't feel good at all in my hand -- and that alone was enough to make me pause.
For me, the ergonomics of the A7II was significantly better for my hands and use than the boxy A7r/s. I find the extra girth of the body and repositioned shutter more comfortable although admittedly I do tend to have it configured with the grip and RRS L bracket - it's not so tiny at that point but great to use. That alone was the primary driver to get the A7RII along with the IBIS and shutter improvements.

whenever I pick up a Nikon though muscle memory kicks in ... They just naturally fit me although feel like bricks today by comparison to the Sony systems.