The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Milvus

AlexLF

I asked Zeiss if they're going to continue with Otus line and they answered yes. Which is great news! To me, at least :)

Lars

Intriguing... They are Zeiss, they have a sexy build, price is reasonable and... ...they are manual focus. And these days, that's a deal killer for me. The 21 maybe I'd go for if it's stellar, but I have the Sigma ART's in 24, 35 and 50, and have the Nikkor 28 asph and 85/1.4G; heck, I even have the 105 DC which when zeroed is a laser. Oh, and ALL of the aforementioned will AF on my D810.
Some of these will fit nicely into my transition to D810, as MF complement to AF lenses. My shooting ranges from landscape stills (MF) to Frisbee freestyle (AF action sports) to social to travel to street. Plenty of room for MF lenses after some consideration. Camera first, then consider which of my old Nikkors to keep. Sigma ART series surely is tempting though.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Coming with some decades of SLR background I am confidently using MF lenses also on DSLR - have tried several times. Actually for wide angles MF makes even more sense as long as there is a good or great OVF (like Df, D810, D4s). But even with 85 I am confidently fast and accurate as I am my own AF and can focus anywhere on the screen without needing to make use of any AF point. And then I am fast again.

Means in cleartext - any of the Milvus lenses would work great for me. Only reason to use AF here is if I am getting lazy :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sheesh you guys are easy -- a $50 case with some custom foam and you melt like little girls in front of a rock star :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Sheesh you guys are easy -- a $50 case with some custom foam and you melt like little girls in front of a rock star :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
B+H sells this case for $525 and each lens insert is about $25 if the standard do not fit

Zeiss Transport Case For ZF.2-Mount Lenses With Inlays 1930-445

Zeiss Inlay for Makro-Planar T 2/100 ZE / ZF.2 Lens 1918-638 B&H

The Milvus inserts will show up presently?

... still a bargain for storage at home ... dust and shock protection ...

Bob

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ah... but this isn't any rock star. It's Elvis Presley, Bruce Springsteen, Leonard Cohen, Paul McCartney, Linda Ronstadt and Miley Cyrus gathered in your personal plastic box auditorium to perform for you and your friends only :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Interesting. The Milvus looks a bit better than the ZE, but in real use it's prolly not going to be enough visible difference to force anybody to change if they already own a ZE.

OTOH, that Otus MTF is sure impressive!

ryc

Just a few with this combo. It ain't auto focus fast but it works well enough if you eat your spinach!

JohnBrew

Jorge, I'm interested in the 85. Have/are you shooting it? Biggest reason is size and it uses 77mm filters (very important). The 85 Otus would definitely be a contender but it's just too damn big!
BTW, your old 55 is still delivering the bacon!!!
Regards,
John

ryc

Jorge, I'm interested in the 85. Have/are you shooting it? Biggest reason is size and it uses 77mm filters (very important). The 85 Otus would definitely be a contender but it's just too damn big!
BTW, your old 55 is still delivering the bacon!!!
Regards,
John
John glad the old Otus is still working out for you. It is amazing ! The 85 is big. Lighter than the Otus 85. Indeed it is a 77mm thread on it. I out down some details of what I think about the 85 here Zeiss Milvus 85mm and Sony A7RII

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The 50mm looks impressive, and is something to consider as a replacement for my Nikkor 50mm f/1.2. First, I need a decent 85mm though. Zeiss seems to have an answer to that as well :)

ryc

The 50mm looks impressive, and is something to consider as a replacement for my Nikkor 50mm f/1.2. First, I need a decent 85mm though. Zeiss seems to have an answer to that as well :)
I have both the 1.2 and the new milvus 1.4. There is no question the Milvus is exponentially better than the nikon in both build and optical quality. But the 1.2 is exponentially better to work with due to focus. The 1.2 is really a great street lens with the ability to focus between min distance and infinity relatively fast with little effort. The Milvus requires a lot of rotation of the barrel to go from one extreme to the other. Having said that, its hard tpo beat the milvus rendering! Maybe the Otus.

Here are a few with a D4 and A7RII and the 50 1.4

http://www.zeissimages.com/standardgallery.php?membercollection=1677&showall=1

Schmiddi

Hello,

just an example of Milvus 1,4/85mm on Sony A7R. Picture was shot in portrait mode - but on screen I decided to cut. Enough pixels :thumbup:

I'm really happy with the lens!

Andreas